Sign in to follow this  

What is the life span of a helmet before replacement

Does anybody know what the time line is on a helmet replacement? I use as a rule if you have a major crash it should be replaced. If you can or can not see out side damage. My question relates to they are rated in 5 year cycles on snell/dot 1995 - 2000 - 2005 ratings ect. I know in some road racing or autocross if you helmet is over 2 cycle years (meaning snell/dot 95 will not be able to be used) you can not use it, so in motocross if it becomes 5 years old would you replace it even if it has not been crashed? I know in inside shell/foam stuff is the concern, but anybody who can shed light on this i thank you. Plus I jut got 2 more helemts to replace 2 that are 4-5 years old.

My personal rule of thumb is; after a good crash with head impact, or 2-3 years of use depending on how much riding I get in. The year I badly broke my wrist, I added 1 years of use to my helmet (3) since I didn't ride much for that year.

My personal rule of thumb is; after a good crash with head impact, or 2-3 years of use depending on how much riding I get in. The year I badly broke my wrist, I added 1 years of use to my helmet (3) since I didn't ride much for that year.

I agree. What little grey matter I still have, I want to keep. Well worth the price of a lid.

I know some that use the same helmet for over five years . :lol: But they are the first to tell me that they crashed recently and had to buy new bars, plastic and chest protector :worthy: .

Personally , I use mine till it hits the ground .Not a little scuff ,I mean the thump kind . Many years ago , I used to have the instruments to "spark test" hard linings .I used to check my helmets and such . Basically ,there are microscopic cracks in the glass after it takes a shot .

Ive seen a helmet that was failed by my checking ,Bell and another manufacturer have no visable damage . I put a coat of paint over it to magnify them ,and it looked like a disaster . Like gelcoat cracks on a boat kind of . This helmet was new and dropped from six foot on to a ceramic tile floor .

I know helmets are seldom cheap...I just prefer to eat my food with a fork ,rather than blended and sucked thru a straw . Bikes are a great hobby and sport ,it needs participants ,not statistics .

It's a good idea to replace every 5 years or less if it's seen a nice head shot. I had to replace my Shoei helmet after 5 years of use. Never been dropped or wrecked. It was sad putting away a 600 dollar helmet that still looked new! lol.

Thanks, it is hard to give up 2 nice Troy Lee's, but the new replacement Troy Lee's are sweet. Now what do it do with the old ones. I guess make a old helmet shelf. lol

Thanks, it is hard to give up 2 nice Troy Lee's, but the new replacement Troy Lee's are sweet. Now what do it do with the old ones. I guess make a old helmet shelf. lol

Me and my dad have an old helmet shelf but the destroyed parts are with them. Only the major ones like twisted headers or bent bars :lol:

i get a new helmet every year. my helmet usually gets beat to death with rocks from other riders,so i replace them. but if i crash,ill get another one asap. its just one of my rituals..

i usually get a new one every 3 years. Usually by then its starting to get some scratches on it. This will be the last year for my current helmet... I like getting new helmets to, changes up the look

Well, I dont do it enough thats for sure. The helmet I bought when i got into riding was bought used with plenty of scratches. I have dropped it a few times, had some crashes with it, but the worst was probably when I spiked it into the ground when my new bike blew up :lol: Im getting a new one in a few weeks tho lol

A low end helmet should be replaced after about 2 years. A high end helmet (ie Arai, Shoei, TLD) comes with a 5 year warranty and can be kept for 5-7 years depending on use (and if not crashed).

Every other year I get a lid or boots. I dont use extremely expensive helmets though, as long as its snell and DOT, I'll go for it. I'm not very aggressive usually.