Sign in to follow this  

CRF230F vs CRF250X

I searched for this topic and did not find what I was looking for, so I'm asking for some advice. My question is; I'm 5'-10" approx. 195 lbs. and I'm wondering if a CRF230F will be a good trial bike with enough power or would I be better off with the CRF250X. The one thing I've noticed in pricing the used ones is, the CRF250X's are considerably more expensive than the CRF230X's. Is there that much more power? Any advice?

If you are only comparing power then the CRF230F has only 60% of the power of a 250X. You should also factor in suspension and handling and again the 230F is only 60% of the bike the 250X is. However, know what you are getting with the 250X.. it needs a lot of TLC!

If you are only comparing power then the CRF230F has only 60% of the power of a 250X. You should also factor in suspension and handling and again the 230F is only 60% of the bike the 250X is. However, know what you are getting with the 250X.. it needs a lot of TLC!

Thanks Pat. TLC? Can you explain?

work and money. the 250x is a liquid cooled 4 stroke based on the race crf250r

CRF250X is going to take a lot more maintenace, and money. However, I do not agree at all that the 230F has 60% of what the 250X has, I believe its more like 50% or less. I have both a 2006 CRF250X and a 2006 CRF230F, I ride both all the time, and the 250X is just so much more bike and is capaple of so much more. Power... NO WAY does the 230F have 60% of the power in my opinion. I wish I had a video of me drag racing friends on my 230F and me on my 250X. It isn't even a comparison... I was going to start off with the 230F as my first bike, and my dad would ride the 250X until he felt I was good enough to handle the X. However he has a bad hip and couldn't get his leg over the 250X so it became mine right off the bat. 3 years later I can tell you I am SO happy the 230F isn't mine. There are so many more things you can do with/to a 250X, theres so much more aftermarket support.

Sorry for this being so long.

i have a 250x and my brother has a 230. the 230 is less maintnance, but heavy (heavier then the 250x). but the 230 is low maintnence, no radiators! but less power:(. i love the 250x. and my brother loves his 230. a lot of it is personal choise, style, preference. to be honest, you need to ride both to see how you like them.

It's not even a fair comparison to start with. The 230 is based on technology you would find in about 1980. At least that's what I remember. It's one of those bikes Honda sells just to make a ton of money. Roll it off the line, no upgrades, no R+D. It used to be called "XR200R" and I had one.

I'm close to the same height/weight, the 230 is just laid out too small for me. If I had one: tallerseat foam, taller bars forward mounted, BBR springs front and back. but even then I'd be banging my feet up more than I'd like because the pegs are so low. Great bikes, though. I'd even like a 230 in the 250x frame if they made one.

I searched for this topic and did not find what I was looking for, so I'm asking for some advice. My question is; I'm 5'-10" approx. 195 lbs. and I'm wondering if a CRF230F will be a good trial bike with enough power or would I be better off with the CRF250X. The one thing I've noticed in pricing the used ones is, the CRF250X's are considerably more expensive than the CRF230X's. Is there that much more power? Any advice?

i just sold my 2007 230 and bought an 06 X and its not even close in comparison. the 230 effin bogs down in 6th where the two fiddy wants to keep going. im 5'9 185 and the 230 sucked for anything but trail riding. my 250 suspension is crisp (havent bottomed out yet in the 7 months ive had it) and it just feels more like a dirtbike when you sit on it. trust me get a 250x.

index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=98567924&albumID=2591915&imageID=40651914

maintians on the crf250x really just depends on how hard you ride the bike

Thanks Pat. TLC? Can you explain?

TLC = maintenance... like the other guys here said.

For example I know a kid who has owned an XR100. His dad never changed the oil... he thinks it's like a lawnmower. The bike still works though! You would never get away with that with a 250X. YOu'll be changing oil A LOT more! You'll be checking valves! You'll be doing other routine checks a lot more.

I don't know of anyone who "putts around" on a bike like this so you can bet your valves won't last forever!

250X is just somuch better in every way besides maintenance. The 250X is NOT made for putting around. Thats why it is called a Trail RACING bike, not a trail recreation bike like the 230F. Just because it isn't the "R" doesn't mean it isn't a racing ready bike. The 250x, you have to change both transmission and engine oil, on the 230F you only have one oil to drain and the oil filter comes out with it and you just clean it. The 250X is just worth it man.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have checked out the "similar threads" at the bottom of the page and found what I was looking for. I don't know why they didn't show up when I did the search....anyway, thanks again. I'm just an old guy looking to do alittle trail riding and I do not need the maintanence issues. I've decided to go with the CRF230F.

Jim

The 250x is not a race ready bike. It's a lot different in many ways to the 250R. The suspension, the cams, engine, and electric start. It's meant for trail riding. But it still can be raced.

230 is a pig of a bike. If you want to have fun and not be bummed get the 250x. IMO the 230 and 150f are pretty lame bikes. It's too bad Honda quit the XR's for these super heavy Brazilian turds.

The 250x is not a race ready bike. It's a lot different in many ways to the 250R. The suspension, the cams, engine, and electric start. It's meant for trail riding. But it still can be raced.

The 250X is indeed a race ready bike, it is meant for offroad competition such as GNCC, hare scrambles, enduros etc. 250R is a motocross bike, both are competition models but for different types of racing.