Sign in to follow this  

Rear sprocket for street riding

Just got back from a ride in to the mountains. We took the KLR and the XR600R. The 600 performed flawlessly, the only thing is it has the stock 48T rear sprocket and that makes it run at higher RPM's and the gas mileage suffers. What size sprocket would you suggest for street riding for longer stretches. The 600 just walked away from the KLR and handled very well, the acceleration is unbelievable. But it would be perfect if i could bring down the RPM's a bit and let it cruise around 65-70.

If there is another solution, where could I get it?

Thanks for any information.

Mark

Just got back from a ride in to the mountains. We took the KLR and the XR600R. The 600 performed flawlessly, the only thing is it has the stock 48T rear sprocket and that makes it run at higher RPM's and the gas mileage suffers. What size sprocket would you suggest for street riding for longer stretches. The 600 just walked away from the KLR and handled very well, the acceleration is unbelievable. But it would be perfect if i could bring down the RPM's a bit and let it cruise around 65-70.

If there is another solution, where could I get it?

Thanks for any information.

Mark

Try 15/45 I run this on the street and if I'm going trail riding

with my buddies I put on 13/48 or 14/48:ride: I ride a xr650l. hope that helps some.

I bet the 15/45 would do great for you. I run a 15/43 but have a heavily modded motor. The 15 can easily be swapped to a 14 trailside for better woods navigation...

Good luck and let us know what works for you!

I am assuming that the stock front sprocket is a 14, and I know the rear is a 48. I'll try the 15/45 set up and see how that goes. Do you think I will need to get another chain or can I keep the same one, if so what size? FYI the chain is brand new as is the rear sprocket. Where can I get the 45T rear sprocket, the dealer?

Thanks for the input,

Mark

PS. I had decided to sell the XR, but have since changed my mind, it is just so much fun to ride.:lol:

Try 15/45 I run this on the street and if I'm going trail riding

with my buddies I put on 13/48 or 14/48:ride: I ride a xr650l. hope that helps some.

Yes it does, thank you.

I have an xr650r, but i also run the 15/45 since i do right much dirt road/pavement riding. stock on mine was 14/48. i swap to 14/45 when i'm going to be keeping it under 70 most of the day.

I run 15/46 on my 650R. If it is really tight, I'll drop to a 14/46.

IMO, it is easier to change the CS than the rear sprocket.

The chain should still work, or you may have to remove a link or 2...

Do the easiest thing first and try a 15t front sprocket with the 48 rear. If that's not enough, then try the 45t rear.

15-45 for most of my bikes. The CR and all the XR's run 15-45. The dr is a 43 in the rear. You can get 100mph on pavement with this setup(gps). My L seems to take forever to get there, even with it's heavy mods. I've seen the cr take 99.4 gps, the 89xr 102, the 650r runs 101, and the L hasn't been gps confirmed. I imagine it will get very similar to the 650R as the tire, and gearing combos are the same. The bigger bikes all run 140/80-18. The lil dr actually will do 90+ with its setup and 120/100-18. It is also a 6 speed.

Do the easiest thing first and try a 15t front sprocket with the 48 rear. If that's not enough, then try the 45t rear.

That's just what I did, went for a quick spin and it is a noticable difference. Still has the low end power to pull it up in first and second but drops the rpms at 65-70 MPH. I will run it this way for a while and see how the fuel mileage differs, this may be enough to get better mileage on the freeway and still pull hard on the dirt.

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it.

Mark

i met a guy in nc from mn on a xr650r that was steet legal and he had a 35t rear. i think that was a little retarded but to each his own.

got a 41 rear sprocket on my 650r with edelbrock and supermoto setup.1st gear is now actually useable and 5th is like a kick ass overdrive.no more ringin the bejesus out of it.just been out powerslidin in the wet up through all the gears.yeee hawww.

yes it actually rains here in mallorca spain.

i buy all my bits from www. tamethebeast. something. great prices.

oh i miss ireland.

will the STOCK case saver work with an aftermarket 15t front?

The 600R uses the same little steel case saver as the 650L. The 650L comes stock with a 15t front sprocket.

The 600R uses the same little steel case saver as the 650L. The 650L comes stock with a 15t front sprocket.

ok, and i've got an XRR which is 14t stock, so that would not work. thanks

will the STOCK case saver work with an aftermarket 15t front?

yes a 15t is fine.

15/45 or 16/45 :thumbsup:

yes a 15t is fine.

15/45 or 16/45 :thumbsup:

oh ok, i also have the stock counter sprocket cover, i'm assuming this is close to your setup. and it works?