dr350 valve adjustment -what did I do wrong

Had a rattle in the top end, figured it might be valve adjustment time. Took everything off, found tdc through the window, adjusted and put everything back together.

CANT KICK IT OVER!!!!!!!!!

What did I do wrong.

Also, if I remove the nut on the side of the engine will the oil come out or is it lower than that.

Thanks

what year is it? Manual compression release or auto-decomp?

You may have missed TDC. Sometimes have to go around the horn twice to get it right.

what year? Did you remove the deco cable at all....? Just a thought...did you put it back right?

1996, didn't disconnect cable.

If I remove the side bolt (to turn crank) will I lose oil?

You probably have more trouble than a simple valve adjustment. Valves normally make a light tick-tick noise when set correctly. Ticking will get louder if the gap is too large, usually caused by a mis-adjustment. Under normal use, the gap will become smaller over time and eventually close up. This can cause a valve (or valves) to remain slightly open all the time, lowering compression and making the bike difficult to start.

Rattling noises could be something else such as a worn, stretched out timing chain slapping against the inside of the case. An engine that will not turn over sounds bad, possibly the piston hitting the valves beacuse the timing chain is loose and jumped teeth, throwing off the cam timing. If this has happened, serious damage can occur if you try and force the engine to rotate with the piston hitting the valves.

How many miles on the bike? Did this problem happen slowly over time or all at once? Any other info on the bikes history?

1996, didn't disconnect cable.

If I remove the side bolt (to turn crank) will I lose oil?

if the bike is sitting up straight you can remove the plug. I don't know if you can do it on the side stand but I suspect that you can.

when you found TDC are you sure that it was on the compression stroke? that will make a BIG DIFFERENCE in the clearance.

P.S. don't force the motor to turn, if it's hard to turn there must be a reason that needs to be corrected or you will bend valves (probably).

Remove the spark plugs, if you still cant get the engine to turn over, something is majorly wrong! I'd guess that its something simple like not having the piston at TDC on compression.

Make sure you let us know how you get on...

Just a question. How do you know when its on the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke?

Take off both valve covers and watch the vales open / close as you kick the engine slowly. Watch for the exh to open / close followed by the intake to open / close. Once the intakes close, you know you are on the upstroke (compression) just before TDC. Once the piston hits the top, (alignment mark lines up) all valves should be closed. This is where you make your adjustment.

Just a question. How do you know when its on the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke?

If it ran before it should at least run after.

When on compression stroke both valves would be closed the rockers should both be up. With plug off and piston up check with a rubber vacuum hose you should feel the pistons' top, and be on the TDC mark. Valve adjustment is a very small tiny minuscule amount of screw turn, if you had to turn it more then a "C--t" hair then you're not on TDC. Go back and start over. Get both intake and exhaust as close to each other as possible..:p