450 or 530 xc w?

I'm looking to buy a new xcw. From what I've read the 530 is the smoother engine. I want to know what you all think as far as the better tight woods bike? The smaller bike is usually better, but what's the scoop on these? Thanks in advance for your input, and sorry if this has been asked before.

I'm looking to buy a new xcw. From what I've read the 530 is the smoother engine. I want to know what you all think as far as the better tight woods bike? The smaller bike is usually better, but what's the scoop on these? Thanks in advance for your input, and sorry if this has been asked before.

In stock trim I prefer the 450! It's snappier, revs quicker, and feels smaller and lighter! The power is still very smooth but runs more like a race bike where as the 530 feels more like a trail bike.(not a bad thing for a lot of people) Check out this months DB off road shootout.....the 450XCRW kicked butt! If I chose the 530 I would have get the 570 kit for it. It makes the bike run more like the 450 with more power! :lol: Both are really really good and it all comes down to personal taste!

The 530 offers torquier and smoother power for trail works but is a bit heavier than the 450.

My 450xc is an excellent piece of machinery for whatever I intend to do with it. Has slimmer ergos. It revs fast when you want it where you want it.

Really depends on you but for me I would not have wanted any other bike, in the meantime.

I want to know what you all think as far as the better tight woods bike?

you may also want to consider the new 400

DBM

Tight wood's bike go for the 450 unless your over 220 pounds. Have had a 07 525xc and currently 08 450excr and really liked the bigger bike torque (I'm over weight).

The 530 offers torquier and smoother power for trail works but is a bit heavier than the 450.

the 530 is less than 1 lb heavier than the 450, so I'm not sure if you mean it is heavier, or feels heavier when riding because of the difference in stroke in each of the two motors.

If you want a light bike I think there are better options than both these bikes.

My 450xc is an excellent piece of machinery for whatever I intend to do with it. Has slimmer ergos. It revs fast when you want it where you want it.

Really depends on you but for me I would not have wanted any other bike, in the meantime.

how does a 450 have slimmer ergonomics when its the same bike as the 530 just with a bit shorter stroke

530 consumes more fuel and with that stroke the engine braking is less effective. ive heard from some that it tires you out quicker than the 450. are you riding single track and trails or more open terrain? that might be the difference. how much bike do you really need. some times less is more. my 450xcw has enough to have to wait for my friends to catch up....often.

530 consumes more fuel and with that stroke the engine braking is less effective. ive heard from some that it tires you out quicker than the 450. are you riding single track and trails or more open terrain? that might be the difference. how much bike do you really need. some times less is more. my 450xcw has enough to have to wait for my friends to catch up....often.

I think I may go along with the less is more idea. I've done alot of research now and the 250xcfw sounds pretty sweet, especially with a big bore kit. Light weight and and good for the tight stuff, or fun to be ridden hard and fast on the faster trails. I'm coming of a yzf450 and am ready for a less fatiging(sp) ride.

Most people can't ride a 450 to its potential, so buy the 450. The short stroke motor is more fun and nimble too.

I just bought a 2002 400 EXC and the thing absolutely rips. I used to have a 2000 XR400. The KTM 400 seems way lighter, way snappier and way more fun. If you get the suspension lowered about an inch it helps the bike feel more nimble in the woods. I can't really imagine needing more power in the woods than this 400 has. I hear the 400 with the 453 big bore kit is better than the 450 in terms of the bike seeming lighter in handling.

I just bought a 2002 400 EXC and the thing absolutely rips. I used to have a 2000 XR400. The KTM 400 seems way lighter, way snappier and way more fun. If you get the suspension lowered about an inch it helps the bike feel more nimble in the woods. I can't really imagine needing more power in the woods than this 400 has. I hear the 400 with the 453 big bore kit is better than the 450 in terms of the bike seeming lighter in handling.

not to dog on XR's, because they are very reliable bikes, that hardly ever let you down and will always be the conspiracy theorists explanation to CRF valves.

but

my old 250f out accelerated and had a higher running to speed than a buds XR600R.

XR's are just old technology that gave 4 stroke a bad rap for power. its not there fault though. its just modern 4 strokes have lighter revolving engine parts, better computer assisted design, and hit higher rpm, with way more advanced ignitions

but you traded a lot of that XR reliability when you went over to a high powered 4 stroke KTM. XR's are just the best i've ever seen in that department

but i just don't think its fair to compare a bike designed in the 80's vs. a 2000 something racing machine :p LOL