Easier to convert X-->R or R--->X

Which is easier to convert, an X to an R model or an R to an X model. I'd eventually like to have both- be able to switch wheels and front brake, and ride to the track, or run road wheels for the commute. Or are the forks/suspension different too?

Horse a piece...Get whatever one you think you will ride more often, then get the best price you can on one and then buy the setup.I would say get an X and buy the dirt wheels for it from wheeling supply, I think the dirt wheels are cheaper than going to the street wheels. There is not enough differences other wise to worry about....

That's what I thought. I'll be on the road everyday, and going to track/trails maybe once a month. So X it is- plus I like the black better. Then a set of road wheels.

Wonder if the yamaha wheels are affordable? The sponsor link I looked at had dirt wheels for $850- plus front rotor, tires, tubes, and sprocket. So probably $1300...

WR250R - $4500.

WR250X Wheels - $1000

Total $5500

MSRP of WR250X

$5900

I feel that I did ok :lol:

Wonder if the yamaha wheels are affordable?

A stock Yamaha R rear wheel fits on the X.

A stock Yamaha X rear wheel fits on the R.

You can't do a simple wheel swap on the front using stock wheels. The rotors are different, and not interchangeable. You can't use an R front rim on an X front hub, or vice versa, either - the spoke angles are too different. (Well, you could, assuming the spokes are the same diameter, but I wouldn't.)

A stock Yamaha R rear wheel fits on the X.

A stock Yamaha X rear wheel fits on the R.

You can't do a simple wheel swap on the front using stock wheels. The rotors are different, and not interchangeable. You can't use an R front rim on an X front hub, or vice versa, either - the spoke angles are too different. (Well, you could, assuming the spokes are the same diameter, but I wouldn't.)

What about an X bike with a 21" dirt front wheel and X rotor? I'm not worried about the bigger rotor off-road, just that both wheels would fit on with the same caliper and brake pads.

I thought yamaha did a kit for this conversion?? X to R... Anyone else hear something similar? Thats why I went with the X.

Where do you find an R for $4500?