97 rm250

this is my first bike i've owned in 8 years so i'm excited about it. I rejetted it and tuned it so now it starts cold good and runs good the only problem I have is the top end it feels like there is no power ban or kick at all where do I start. btw this site has awesome information and I appreciate the help in the future :lol:

you might want to inspect your power valve. or maybe you have it just a hair to lean. their should be a kick some where. sure you ain't babying it?

you might want to inspect your power valve. or maybe you have it just a hair to lean. their should be a kick some where. sure you ain't babying it?

x2 i would start by checking the power valve if its not working you will run but you will run realy week, lincage may be broke or the regulator/ governer may be broke or its just gummed up..IMO

x3 I'd take those exhaust valve out, clean them good and make sure they're working/adjusted properly. Cleaning them is a regular maintenance procedure.

Oh, and welcome!

Welcome!:worthy:

There could be a few issues or things to check, but we need a little more info.

How fresh is the topend, plug, did you clean the carb?

If all of those things are done, then look into the reeds and the exhaust valve. It has been posted often enough that some of these guys buy a bike and it doesn't run properly, because the actuator rod wasn't connected or the retaining clips broke allowing the actuator rod to fall down into the case. So look into that as well.

Good luck and keep us posted!:lol:

the top end was done 3 months ago and the carb was cleaned when I jetted it along with a new spark plug. I will look at the exhaust vavles and maybe dig into the power valve "you have to take off the exhaust I believe" anyway thanks for the advice. also it has the inverted forks on it are those better or worse than the regular forks just wondering because I hate the number plate how it has a numberplate and fork covers all at the top.

Well I know for a fact that 97 rm 250s came with conventional Showa forks, so maybe someone swapped those forks on to your bike.

i think they are showa but they are inverted and I don't really like it just wondering if it is better

inverted I mean upside down

Why don't you like the USD forks? They look nice, work well, and you already have them.

forks are fine I just don't like how the number plate and fork cover are all one because the forks are upside down

You could get a different, standard number plate as a replacement. You really need the fork protectors, though, and should find some that fit those forks. Have you asked the PO where the forks came from?

He has conventional forks where the inner tube is connected to the triple clamps. Alot of people are so used to the contemporary fork that they assume the conventionals are upside down. back in the day they used to have the accordian style boots that went over them. You can still find these boots on the internet.

oh, there a way to go with contemparary forks or is that a waste of time and money?

Save your money. By the time you convert everything over you could buy a newer bike with upside down forks. Unless you came across a set of forks with triple clamps and a front wheel, brakes etc, basically a whole front end that would match up with your steering stem, but you would have to research it to make sure everything would fit.

He has conventional forks where the inner tube is connected to the triple clamps. Alot of people are so used to the contemporary fork that they assume the conventionals are upside down.

:lol:

As above, just ride with what you have. I would suggest changing the oil - it's probably past due.

lol thanks, what is a good website for aftermarket graphics for this year bike?

thanks I live in las vegas so not much woods here lol, anyway thanks for all the help