Sign in to follow this  

IMS Clark or other oversized tanks.

so heres the question i have my 98 rm 250 with the stock tank and i here its not so great for a days riding in the woods becouse its small??? is this correct, either way i am thinking of getting ersized tank and i realy don't want my bike to be wider or top heavy, i am wondering who makews the narowest 3+ gallon tank? the ims looks narow in the picters seems like most of the extra fuel is in the peek and the longer sub sections of the tank?? but pictures don't tell the whole story so any input would be nice.

thanks.

As far as I know Clarke is the only one who makes and oversize tank for a 98 rm 250. You can get one at rockymountainatv.com.

Ims makes them in yellow and natural for 96-2000 rm 250 i just don't know which one is better as far as ergos i like how it feels now its nice and narrow i realy don't want it to feel wide or uncomfortable, what kind of hours are you getting on the stock tank?? usualy ride aboute a 50-60 mile loop before we get back to the truck i could make it on my truck sometimes more. i would like the 80-100 mile options for long rides.

I don't really do long rides. When I go riding I'll take a gas can with me and use the GPS to see how many miles I get out of the tank.:p

Do they make any oversized tanks for a 97 RM 125. If so where can i pick one up.

Neither Clarke or IMS make one, so I guess you're out of luck.

Do they make any oversized tanks for a 97 RM 125. If so where can i pick one up.

well there is hope, i know no one lists it but if you cross referance the frames 97 125 vs 250 they are the same part number:thumbsup: thats a plus the rads have a diferant part number but i am sure a few brackets to mount the shrouds to could be made realy easy and they could possibly bolt right up, IMS makes a 3.7 gal for 96-2000 rm 250 its like $185 plus shipping so if you wanted tpo it wouldnt be a problem and for a direct fit you could allways find the 250 rad on e bay cheep i got some real nice ones for my 98 for $40 shipped, where there is a will there is a way so feel free to get the tank you could make it fit easy:thumbsup:

I have the clarke for 96-00 rm250 and its a no-go on my 2000 rm125 the tanks about an inch longer then the stocker and hits the 2 bolt mounts on the frame. I think it will fit with a little cutting just haven't tried it yet...

The other thing for the extra fuel weight that goes with a bigger tank is dont fill it right up unless you need too then you wont have any extra weight

I have the clarke for 96-00 rm250 and its a no-go on my 2000 rm125 the tanks about an inch longer then the stocker and hits the 2 bolt mounts on the frame. I think it will fit with a little cutting just haven't tried it yet...

The other thing for the extra fuel weight that goes with a bigger tank is dont fill it right up unless you need too then you wont have any extra weight

hmmm thats weird where does it rub ecactly, the frames are the same, exact number abd everything seat is the same enen the sub frame is the same i wonder why it rubs? the only diferances i have found are in the rads as far as making it fit?

the two mounting points (10mm bolts by the coil) for the gas tank are about an inch too far forward on the clarke and the existing mounts hit the inside of the tank behind the holes for the mount, i think it will fit if i cut off the existing mounts and fab some new ones further forward in addition to shifting the rads forward and possibly down it should work,

For the 2000 the frames are different numbers, infact the 250 is about an inch longer than the 125

For the 2000 the frames are different numbers, infact the 250 is about an inch longer than the 125

well thats good to know becouse in all the parts fiches here or yamaha of trouy all the frames show 96-00 125 and 250 are the same, thats good to know his question was on the 97 rm 125 if it would fit and my guess would be yes.

I just mounted an IMS 3.4 gal on my 2003 RM 250

I'm not too stoked on the fitment

it looks like it could sit a full inch lower on top of the frame than it is

Depending how far you are going,you might want to consider keeping your stock tank and adding an Acerbis number plate tank---1.3 gal.. I also invested in the clarke tank. Fuel is a big issue with miles and miles of mountains to play on. I'm curious myself as to how it will effect handeling. I got a feeling I'm gonna get good at swapping tanks around for the riding situations. LOL

I saw some guy had an oversize tank on his 03, its on youtube.. hes got like tons of videos im sure you could ask him where he got it,, but it looks kinda funny and im sure if you ride in the forward position takeing turns and what not you would clam your junk into the top fillup part tons of times, i also heard its a pain to change your sparkplug with an oversize tank,, just things to think about

well thats good to know becouse in all the parts fiches here or yamaha of trouy all the frames show 96-00 125 and 250 are the same, thats good to know his question was on the 97 rm 125 if it would fit and my guess would be yes.

The 125/250 96-00 frames are very different and the 250 IMS tank will not fit without major work. I've done it.

1- Cut off and relocate tank mount on frames backbone.

2- Automotive radiator hose on backbone to shim tank upward aprox 1/2"

3- Fab brackets to move radiators forward.

4- Fab a longer, lower rad-to-rad hose.

5- Carefully heat and remold (heated 1&1/2" socket) tank where it hits shock resevoir.

6- Elongate groove where seat slides onto tank.

7- Heat-proof asbestos tape where tank comes with 1/4" of pipe.

8- Yamaha petcock (points to rear rather than down)

To the OP... IMS makes a far better gas tank. We've tried a Clarke, the get dry and brittle quickly, and crack. Have had 5 IMS's on five different bikes with good luck. :thumbsup: