Sign in to follow this  

timing question 94 xr200r

I unscrewed the plug so I could time my motor with a timing light. It spayed oil all over the place. I had it running on a bike stand. Is that normal? Do I need to lean the bike towards the kick start side to keep it from spraying oil. It was a fine mist but a lot of it. The oil level is at the right level. What's the deal?

Normal, the alternator/flywheel is connected to the crankcase. Tilting the bike will help, but you will still need to clean up the mess on your timing light and the floor.

paint the timing mark white also. I wil make it easier to see with oil spraying in you eyes.

Oh I forgot to add that you should wear safty glasses to protect your eyes from the oil mist.

Thanks for the replies. I couldn't read the last one......I used carb cleaner to get the oil out of my eyes! There's got to be a better way!!!!! I think I'll just keep moving the plate until it runs the way I want it.

Thanks again, Dale

You can set your timing static and be very close if not perfect. With the engine not running move your flywheel to your timing mark not TDC mark...timing mark. Next hold your flywheel so it does NOT move at all. Now move your plate so the mark / line or your rotor lines up perfectly with the mark / line on the pick up. Tighten everything down and re check. Also remember that the crank turns twice for the cam once so if your rotor is 180 out while the flywheel is on the mark turn it 1 more time to the mark and recheck. I set my bike up this way everytime I do a timing chain or a rebuild and it is uaually within a degree or so.

Thanks for the replies. I couldn't read the last one......I used carb cleaner to get the oil out of my eyes! There's got to be a better way!!!!! I think I'll just keep moving the plate until it runs the way I want it.

Thanks again, Dale