CR 250 Advice **Need all CR 250 owner's advice

Let me give you a little background info:

I am 15 and live in Canada. I have ridden dirt bikes for about 6 years and loved them for even longer. My first bike I ever got was last year when my dad surprised me with the best 800$ present a kid could ask for, my own bike. It was a TTR 225, bigger and badder than the XR 100 and the TTR 125 I had previously ridden.

Anyways, as the summer grew on, I started to notice that my passion with my bike was starting to diminish. I still loved my TTR, but I started having fantasies about other bikes, racing bikes, 2 strokes. The limits were endless.

Anyways, so for the past several months I have been looking around for a new bike. I have been from wanting on and off a CRF-250X, a YZ 125, RM 250, a WR 250f, a KX 250f and a YZ 250f. I couldn't decide which one to get. I finally found the CR 250. Legendary.

A little more background about the riding I do:

I ride mainly at my cottage. 50 acres of my friend's land screamed trail potential and we rode all summer. Other than a few trips to the track and some wheelies, donuts and jumps on a side road, our time on our bikes was spent in the trails. And comparing to other trails I have ridden (and the 100s ive read about on TT) you could consider the trails "tight".

So I ask you, do you think the 2003 CR 250 would be an adequate replacement for a kid coming off a TTR 225? I am 6'0 and little over 200 with gear. There are plenty of hills in the back bush and the stuff gets pretty technical so I need bottom end. I know it won't be there like it is on my TTR, but I don't want to be forced to ride faster than what I am comfortable in just cause I fear my bike will stall.

All help is appreciated and thanks to everyone.

KX:ride:

With regards to your size, weight and the power characteristics of the 02 and up CR250, I think you will be more than fine with the 2003 CR250. Just take your time and you will learn to respect that throttle in no time.

Great bikes. Once you get one, your new bike fantasies will be over indefinitely.

You know you want it, you asked about the differences between it and the yz. I bought mine a year ago in a package deal buying a ktm65 for my son, rode it, liked it for the same type of riding you do.

Even had two offers to buy while hauling it to a friends for maintence but turned them down.

JUST get and ride the wheels off, you can handle it and if not sell it and try something else.

You know you want it, you asked about the differences between it and the yz. I bought mine a year ago in a package deal buying a ktm65 for my son, rode it, liked it for the same type of riding you do.

Even had two offers to buy while hauling it to a friends for maintence but turned them down.

JUST get and ride the wheels off, you can handle it and if not sell it and try something else.

Thats very true, TD. Thanks for the advice. It just seems like such a nice ride it's almost a little too perfect. I guess I'm waiting for someone to tell me about a bad experience with their CR 250, but from the looks of it, those stories are few and far between.

Yep. I have a 2001 CR250 with a 13 oz. flywheel weight. I love it.

I love the quote in your signature, too! That was great! Did you see James' interview a week or two ago when Emig or someone asked him about that he said something like, "Yeah, I keep telling her we almost fought!" Ha ha. I think Erin could kick his ass with those man-hands of hers! Good thing James jus' kep' walkin'!

Yep. I have a 2001 CR250 with a 13 oz. flywheel weight. I love it.

I love the quote in your signature, too! That was great! Did you see James' interview a week or two ago when Emig or someone asked him about that he said something like, "Yeah, I keep telling her we almost fought!" Ha ha. I think Erin could kick his ass with those man-hands of hers! Good thing James jus' kep' walkin'!

Haha thanks man. No, I missed the Emig interview unfortuantley but I honestly could imagine Bubba having his hands full in a scrap with Erin!?

Anyways thanks for the opinions guys.

You can find yourself in trouble not matter where you are if you hit the power band and you're lazy, hanging off the back and not up on the pegs in the attack position! The power is so sweet, but very scary when you're not paying attention!

hey man. I have a kdx 200, crf250r, my wife rides a ttr225. I JUST bought a cr250, and LOVE it. I think my other bikes are parked for a while. I have been riding for 13 years and have never ridden a bike with so much exhilaration!! BUY THE CR 250!! You won't want another bike for years. I PROMISE. i love my crf250r. But, the CR??? WOW, hold on and have a ball. I can't say enough about this bike.

If you want more convincing, just ask...i can tell you a story about the last time I went out. (after this incident I would recommend a CR to everyone!)

I love mine as well. I just got through putting it all back together after a complete tear down. I had blown a crank seal and decided I would take it all the way down to the frame and do some other much needed maint. in the process. I put it all back together over the weekend and she fired right up and was back to life. I said that to say this, the CR250 is a great bike, it's easy to work on, it rides like no other I have ever been on and if taken care of, will last forever. Mine is an '01.

The CR250 is a great bike. For the really technical trails i enjoy the 4 stroke a hell of alot more than 2 stroke. I like having power the instant i need it without having to get my rpm's way up there..... however i can never bash honda so i give it 2 thumbs up!

hey man. I have a kdx 200, crf250r, my wife rides a ttr225. I JUST bought a cr250, and LOVE it. I think my other bikes are parked for a while. I have been riding for 13 years and have never ridden a bike with so much exhilaration!! BUY THE CR 250!! You won't want another bike for years. I PROMISE. i love my crf250r. But, the CR??? WOW, hold on and have a ball. I can't say enough about this bike.

If you want more convincing, just ask...i can tell you a story about the last time I went out. (after this incident I would recommend a CR to everyone!)

thanks for all the responses guys. aaron can we hear this story?

You asked why I am a CR believer? I must preface this situation by saying USUALLY I am super vigilant about checking oil levels, caps, tranny plugs, etc...change air filter EVERY ride, tranny fluid every 3-5 and oil (4 strokes) every 3. I took the CR to Durhamtown Plantation (600 acre riding park in georgia). That morning, upon arrival, checked fluids, new air filter, tire pressure, drain plug.

I rode for 2 1/2 hours and came to the truck for a snack, inspection, cold beverage, and noticed my right boot was soaked with oil/ mud. I examined my bike and realized that I had ridden all morning so far without the right side (clutch tranny) oil plug (the one you would add fluid to the tranny/clutch).

After a sinking feeling and frustration with myself, I realized I hadn't screwed it in after checking the level that morning. I walked around and low and behold found the screw cap exactly where I departed that morning.

Immediately, drained the fluid (it was empty), right side...then filled with SAE80/85. I dumped that volume to get rid of any metal shards that may have accumulated. Filled up again with appropriate volume. And she ran like a million bucks the rest of the day. NO DAMAGE done, seemingly. I have ridden two days since then, no problem.

I learned I will Always double check, triple check. And guarentee you that if that was my crf, it would have been toast!

Very relieved, very impressed...sold, I'm a believer. BUY A CR250. You won't regret it ever. AT

So did ya get it? I seem to remember you asking about fmx and custom graphics.

I guess my meticulous research and procrastination has lead me to lose the bike. Another guy picked it up for 3000.

Not all hope is lost though as Ive got some other deals in the works..

that sucks but the way the market is now you can name your price almost

i got my 02 CR about 2 years ago before the economy sucked so bad for 1650 and i still see people trying to sell for 3000 keep looking and find one for under 2000 and they are honda tough mine just got its first ever re-build

and everything on the inside was cherry except the piston and rings piston skirt had a good crack going and the rings were done for for a 250 they will accelerate pretty hard but coming off a cr500 it seems nothing jerks my arms any more except my XRR....and also +1 to the sig. maybe his motto should be well i u just ride till i fall off because he always looks like hes about to biff it

that sucks but the way the market is now you can name your price almost

i got my 02 CR about 2 years ago before the economy sucked so bad for 1650 and i still see people trying to sell for 3000 keep looking and find one for under 2000 and they are honda tough mine just got its first ever re-build

and everything on the inside was cherry except the piston and rings piston skirt had a good crack going and the rings were done for for a 250 they will accelerate pretty hard but coming off a cr500 it seems nothing jerks my arms any more except my XRR....and also +1 to the sig. maybe his motto should be well i u just ride till i fall off because he always looks like hes about to biff it

Thanks Bama and my quest is not over until I find such a god-like piece of machinery! I'll keep a look out for something cheaper.

And yeah apparently (in reference to sig) he has this crazy statistic that any race he has entered where he didnt fall over he has won. He is nuts. I look at the king's 72 and I think that is impossible. Then I look at Bubba explain it. He is 23. Got at least another 7-8 years left in him. He needs something like 40 more wins. Thats 10 wins in 4 seasons, and this season he has 7 and we are just over halfway. It is scary to think of what he can accomplish.

100+ Wins? Crazy.