Sign in to follow this  

Are yz250's really the best all around smoker?

I am looking into getting newer smoker and even possibly trading my 06' crf450r for one. I think I am just ready for a change and I miss my cr... should have never sold it. :lol:

As of now, I will pretty much only buy Yamaha or Honda... so how does it match up to a cr in all the categories? Handling/Suspension (can always be bought)/ motor wise the YZ really shines right? I was really set on the YZ until the guy posted about how his 02' cr lap times with bald tires were just under his '09 yz. Now I'm definitely thinking...

I am looking at bikes '06 + around the same value as my crf.

What is it that your REALLY looking for? If its a bike to turn fast lap times with, try a 250f. I believe the average person could turn the fastest times with them. This would be especially true once they were a little tired.

They guy posting abotu lap times earlier was surprised his "old" cr ran within a second a lap of his new yz 250. Compare that second per lap to tonight's supercross race.

I wont give names as I dont want to spoil the race for those that will watch tomorrow. The winner made 20 laps. 20 seconds back from this would have meant 3rd place. Now the time is a significant difference.

I think you know what people's answer's going to be when you post up a question on the YZ forum. The 250 is like a potato, you can do just about anything with it, and it's all good.

i dont know about the 06's or about cr/s but i have a sweet used 03 yami 250 and i love it, great bike to me but i dont have much to compare it to.

ive ridden a few cr250's in my time and would have to say that they feel like they dont run as crisp as the yz's do. Now make note that you are asking this question in the yamaha section, i think in the honda one you will get the opposite answer.

what it really comes down to is which bike do you prefer? To me the yamaha is the #1 choice because ive never had any catastrophic failures with them and that i feel one with the bike.

I havent owned a honda since 01 so things may have changed, but i am very happy with the yamaha's that ive owned since then.

You really got to ride them all a bit to ensure one is better than the other. Once you find it, you just know it - at least until you sell it in hopes of finding another perfect bike.

I've owned:

'00 RM250 (two of them)

'03 KX250

'03 '04 and a '07 YZ250 and it just fits the best with motor, handling and ergos for ME.

What is it that your REALLY looking for? If its a bike to turn fast lap times with, try a 250f. I believe the average person could turn the fastest times with them. This would be especially true once they were a little tired.

They guy posting abotu lap times earlier was surprised his "old" cr ran within a second a lap of his new yz 250. Compare that second per lap to tonight's supercross race.

I wont give names as I dont want to spoil the race for those that will watch tomorrow. The winner made 20 laps. 20 seconds back from this would have meant 3rd place. Now the time is a significant difference.

A 1-2 sec. difference in a SX race is about 5 to 8 bikes length difference. That's a lot!