Sign in to follow this  

Im a poor kid

and I want a new bike, well, not brand new, Im not stupid.

I want 250 and a above, 250f's included.

My budget is 2,000ish

whats my best bet?

Im 5'7" and weigh about 140, currently ride an 01 wr250f, have been riding for 8 years, ride trail, race desert, and arenacross

You can find lots of yz250s at that price. Light weight, good power, and great handling. Its hard to beat!

+1 It would be hard to find a good reliable thumper for 2 grand. I personally would never buy a used thumper unless i knew the owner real well but thats just me. Buy a two stroke put a new top end for $200 and you have a new bike.

Trail riding, desert racing and arenacross racing are totally different from each other. So finding one bike to do all of that is just not possible. But a clean 250 2 stroke will be very close.

id get a 250 2 stroke. they are real inexpensive to maintain.

Here's another vote for a 250cc two-stroke.

if you want a 250 2 stroke then id go with the yamaha or suzuki....i love the suzuki's handling and if the motor isnt there then you could just do some beef up mods cause the suspension is already there....with a thumper id go for an early yz250f....cause of your budget....honda's valves suck and the 04-05 kawi sucked and the 04-06 suzuki sucked...well they dident suck excuse me....they just had alot of problems

you know you really want a 4t!! im thinkin KX450F?????

did you not see the title of this thread?

im serious, if you get a KX450f for 2k, you either stole it (almost never happens) or its gonna be a ticking time bomb and you better run away.

Just a suggestion, when I was riding my '98 WR 400, I started getting involved in various types of racing. I already was involved with trail riding and even raced an enduro, but I was getting interested in MX, and arenaX events. My solution was to purchase an SDG YZ seat, and a stock YZ gas tank for my bike. That set up allowed me to ride foward in corners like never before ( with that pig of a tank) and I was able to improve greatly at MX and arenaX events because of it. I also started messing around with my suspention settings and found that my trail settings were only a few clicks off of my track settings. The whole set-up could run about $500, way less then your budget allows, and heck when a long trail ride comes up, just take about 15 min. to through the fat tank\seat combo back on and yuor set! Good Luck!

i would go with a 250 two stroke as you could put a new top end for cheap like dhtiger01 said youl have a new feeling engine at least. i would look on craigslist.com as the have a lot of good deals on there and its free to buy/sell unlike ebay and just look up your area im sure theres a lotof bikes in the cities of new mexico.

i would go with a 250 two stroke as you could put a new top end for cheap like dhtiger01 said youl have a new feeling engine at least. i would look on craigslist.com as the have a lot of good deals on there and its free to buy/sell unlike ebay and just look up your area im sure theres a lotof bikes in the cities of new mexico.

I'd keep the WR for trail riding and get the YZ for the dez and MX. That way you don't have to re-calibrate your race bike's suspenders if you want to spend a day on the trails