Sign in to follow this  

xc 300 reliable or not

I was thinking of buying a ktm xc 300 for this riding season.

Is this a good move? Any feed back or opinions would be helpful.

Thanks

Ummmm.... you might be asking wrong people. They are reliable, usually have a longer piston life then the jap smokers. Most everyone here loves there KTM smoker. Get one, heck get two. A 200 and a 300, might want a 250 as well. Better get one in each of the trannys also. So go out and buy these 7 bikes and you will be our hero. Or just buy one of the 7 and enjoy a wonderful bike

what Year? Im not sure but my 07 300 with 176hrs and over 2500 miles, on the original top end that I ride 30-60 miles a week and is still going strong seems OK.

I believe 443thumper got over 400 hrs on his 08 300xc without many problems at all, if any.:p

I've had 4 300's from 99 to present, never had a single issue on any of them, great reliable bikes.

Mike

i would say the 300's are about as bullet proof as you can get! very reliable!

I'am leaning towards that 300 xc. And I thank you for your insight. I look forward to talking to ktm riders.

I believe 443thumper got over 400 hrs on his 08 300xc without many problems at all, if any.:p

Day-Um and you know he aint just puttin' around on a slow trail either. I think 443thumper races GNCC in the A or maybe even pro class?

My 300 has a bit over 100 hours and actually feels better today than it did when it was new. So far the 3 KTM's I have owned all seem to get better with age like a good pair of jeans or deerskin gloves. Short of keeping the bolts tight my KTM's are just better built than my previous Asian manufactured machines. Lots of well though out design and everything is easy to adjust and get at.

Of the 3 I have owned the 300 is by far the most plug and play. Maintenace is so low and easy that I find myself looking for something to mess with.....

Only issue Ive had with my 08 is the e-start. You gotta maintain it pretty reguarly or it quits working. Otherwise its a great bike.

Only issue Ive had with my 08 is the e-start. You gotta maintain it pretty reguarly or it quits working. Otherwise its a great bike.

+1 on the e-start. The battery is underpowered IMO and the starter gears need attention periodically...just like any other routine maintenance item.

-Jay