XR 350 exhaust

I have a 1985 XR 350. Is there a good after market exhaust system for this bike? Anybody have any experience with this type of thing? Also I have seen some 350's with inverted front shocks. The guys riding the bikes I have seen set up this way bought the bike that way and did not know what kind of front end they have on there bikes. Thank you for the help, Mike

USD conversions are pretty well documented here. When searching pay special attention to posts by "ebeck".

Good luck with the exhaust!

-Tom

I have a 1985 XR 350. Is there a good after market exhaust system for this bike? Anybody have any experience with this type of thing? Also I have seen some 350's with inverted front shocks. The guys riding the bikes I have seen set up this way bought the bike that way and did not know what kind of front end they have on there bikes. Thank you for the help, Mike

I have CR125 forks to put on my 350, it's going in next week! :p

The 85 350 had the best flowing exhaust and insert of any of the XR's. it's what you get buy for other XR's. Nobody's made systems for these bikes for many years. Stay quiet. :ride:

I've also got a complete USD setup going on my bike whenever I get the time.

I bought a complete aftermarket exhaust system from XR's only a few years ago for my '85 project bike.It's in the reassembly stages now (got married and had a kid in between). It looks great and I can't wait to hear it.....I think it was around $400 header and silencer and I had to wait 4 months from them to build it. It isn't listed on their sight but if you call and ask for it I'm sure they would build you one. I'll try and post pics if you want to see it.

Just get a used Muffler from a CRF250/450 and put that on it..Bit of modification will be needed to attach it to the headers but is way cheaper than frigging around with all these fancy expensive Mufflers. They make good noise and work well on my 600's..Thats if you're a DIY typa guy.

I have an '85 XR350R that I ride regularly in the mountains of Colorado. The bike has a "period" SuperTrapp 4" disc muffler that clamps on to the stock header. Look to XRs Only for a 95db exhaust insert for a 4" muffler. Remember that flowing more air means flowing more gas, so a jetting change might be required. I look forward to installing one of the quieter mufflers on my ride as it is a little louder than off road bikes manufactured today.

Just get a used Muffler from a CRF250/450 and put that on it..Bit of modification will be needed to attach it to the headers but is way cheaper than frigging around with all these fancy expensive Mufflers. They make good noise and work well on my 600's..Thats if you're a DIY typa guy.

hmmmm,, I guess they probably would flow well given the hp the CRFs make.

Is the CRF piping smaller or larger than the headers?

Did you have to move brackets?

Thanks for the idea.

hmmmm,, I guess they probably would flow well given the hp the CRFs make.

(1) Is the CRF piping smaller or larger than the headers?

(2) Did you have to move brackets?

(1) Can't say for sure..Definitely not smaller, talking XR600 here. You would need to cut the Pipe running to the Muffler and add a bit of piping for the correct angle/length to be attained for attachment. Be aware that the modern metals they use in some exhausts are an absolute b...h to weld as God knows what they are made of..I just force fit short lengths of pipe to attain the angles and don't even bother welding.

(2) I made a bracket for the rear attachment to the frame using the original Muffler bolt hole as the attachment point and for the front eyebolt/frame attachment I just use a largish hose clip// It does the job but probably wouldn't be acceptable to some fuss pots here..You can use a bracket that is used for attaching Pipes to ceilings in the commercial building game for the front attachment point as opposed to the hose clip if you're so inclined but I'm not going to explain that method other than to say it goes around the pipe and has a nut already welded to it that you attach your bolt to..DIY people figure out their own ways of doing things..

will a 1985 honda xr 200 stock header fit on a 1985 honda xr 350? They look exactly the same! Anybody?? Thanks

I have owned 2 '85 XR350Rs. As you have already found out, the forks are not up to the task. A pair of '90 or later XR600 forks are a significant improvement and are inexpensive. I had a Supertrapp on one of the 350s simply because it was a lot lighter than the stocker. On the other, I cut the connector pipe off the muffler and welded on a Ford 8N tractor muffler from the local Tractor Supply. It wasn't loud, sounded pretty good, even looked good and got a lot of chuckles from my buddies.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but of a question about forks, can you just buy the xr 600 forks of do you have to buy triple clamps as well?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but of a question about forks, can you just buy the xr 600 forks of do you have to buy triple clamps as well?

You will need the triples with the steering stem, they will fit the 350 steering head. How about a pic of your 350?

Will post a pic when I figure out how, and at a more civil hour! (In Aus). Cheers for your help