Sign in to follow this  

85 or 125?

Hey all, I am 13, 5'4" and 140lbs. i am looking into getting my first bike. I have ridden a bike ONCE before. I rode a 125 in a open field for about 5 min(never went out of second gear). I could not touch, so I don't know weather to get an 85 or will i out grow it quickly? I might consider a 250f but they are quite expensive for me.:lol: Any input is appreciated.

You're certainly big enough to be riding a 125 and in a year or less you will be 14 at which point most people would suggest you be riding a 125 anyway, so i'd go with the 125. An older 125 could be a nice compromise as it wouldn't necessarily have the performance of a rocketship '09 model but would still allow you to grow into it.

I definitely wouldn't go for the 250f at this stage.

If you are going to ride a lot then go with the 125. You will out grow the 85 by the end of the summer.

Only consider a 250f if you have a lot of money and know a good mechanic.

+1 on the 125, im about the same size as you and feel cramped on a 85/100

I'll bet you could touch on a 125 with the sag correctly set for your weight. I would say go for that. At your age you are growing and you will outgrow an 85 very soon.

I'll bet you could touch on a 125 with the sag correctly set for your weight. I would say go for that. At your age you are growing and you will outgrow an 85 very soon.

+1 :p

Around here they are, you can race Schoolboy. In our local district that is 12-17 for harescramble, and 12-15 for MX.

Well, I'm the same height as you and I can only touch with one foot on my 125 with the sag set correctly so I believe you if you can't. You are growing though, unlike me (I'm actually shrinking, lol!). Maybe for your first year a kx100 would be just right. Look for a cheap one though if you do and then sell it next year for a 125.

^i dont think so, im 5'4 and feel squished on mine,

but i just got some risers that should help.

You don't want to torture yourself with the powerband of an 85. 125 is both stronger and easier to deal with.

A ktm is awful expensive, beside you would not be able to feel the difference between a ktm and generic bike at your level any way.