Sign in to follow this  

Highway rules?

what are the rules about driving on the highway in colorado or anywhere? what do you have to do/buy:ride:

i heard that you can have a triangle on the back of your dirtbike (like a caution 1) and you can ride out to the very side of the highway if you live in a hicktown like me (population under 40)

Are you talking about turning a dirt bike into a legal street bike or just normal Rules of the Road regulation/laws?

If it's a dirt bike, in Ohio, you must have a driver's license and it must only be to get to where you will be riding off road. They would prefer you were riding on the shoulder if you can. I am talking non-street legal bikes. Obviously a street legal bike, you must have a motorcycle endorsement and follow the same rules of the road any driver does.

If it's a dirt bike, in Ohio, you must have a driver's license and it must only be to get to where you will be riding off road. They would prefer you were riding on the shoulder if you can. I am talking non-street legal bikes. Obviously a street legal bike, you must have a motorcycle endorsement and follow the same rules of the road any driver does.

i don't have a licsense cause i'm only thirteen but is there a special liscense for dirtbikes? i only use highway to get to riding spot:ride:

Are you talking about turning a dirt bike into a legal street bike or just normal Rules of the Road regulation/laws?

well i have a dirtbike (crf150f 08') i'm thirteen and i only use highway to get to riding spot. every time i ride with my friends as soon as we get done a cop drives by (lucky) and if i run into him i dont want to get my bike impounded :p

• Like 1

Well, I lived in Colorado and you must be 16 to get a DL for a bike. I'm not sure if there is a cc restriction, but there should be! I was in the same situation you are in when I was much much younger. We would get chased all the time to get to our favorite riding spots, until we all turned 16 and got trucks for hauling. There's a lot to do to turn a dirt bike into a street legal bike. You have some time to wait until you can ride on the road legally. You're pretty much in a no win situation until you turn 16 or get a hook up with someone with a truck or trailer. Just be careful on the roads though...cars never see bikes!

Well, I lived in Colorado and you must be 16 to get a DL for a bike. I'm not sure if there is a cc restriction, but there should be! I was in the same situation you are in when I was much much younger. We would get chased all the time to get to our favorite riding spots, until we all turned 16 and got trucks for hauling. There's a lot to do to turn a dirt bike into a street legal bike. You have some time to wait until you can ride on the road legally. You're pretty much in a no win situation until you turn 16 or get a hook up with someone with a truck or trailer. Just be careful on the roads though...cars never see bikes!

well that sux donkey d!(&

Man, I must live in a whole other world. I cant imagine either of

my two sons riding alone, down the highway, at 13. My twin sons

are 12, and I wouldnt even consider allowing that. Kind of makes

me wonder where you live that your parents allow that. In fact,

my boys would loose their bikes if I even found out they were riding

on public streets with their dirt bikes.:p

So am I missing anything?

Is this usual behaviour for areas of CO?

Do your parents know about this?

well i ride with my friends and i've been riding 4 like 5 6 years and they trust me. I have to ask my parents if i can then that's how i get my permission. I'm not really a bad kid i'm an honor rule student and i don't wanna f that up. So my parents trust me with alot of things

its pretty much illegal to ride anything over 49cc on the road especially if you dont have the motorcycle endorsement on your license... what part of colorado do you live at? if you live in the mountains or country then you should be fine... i would recommend that you do whatever possible to stay off of the roads, especially highways where cars are going faster... also ride you should ride with someones parent... your 13... probably in middle school and if you do ever get stopped by a cop its going to be worse if your not with an adult because the cop will think you and your friends are dis-obeying your parents and are up to no good....... if you do choose to ride on the roads make sure your wearing full protective gear and riding on the side of the road and going way slower than the speed limit.... your bike handles way differently on the pavement than on dirt

to answer your question about colorado... no this is not usual behavior for colorado.... you do not see kids riding their bikes on the street... and if they do and it is with a parents going from one trail to the next and riding very cautiously

its pretty much illegal to ride anything over 49cc on the road especially if you dont have the motorcycle endorsement on your license... what part of colorado do you live at? if you live in the mountains or country then you should be fine... i would recommend that you do whatever possible to stay off of the roads, especially highways where cars are going faster... also ride you should ride with someones parent... your 13... probably in middle school and if you do ever get stopped by a cop its going to be worse if your not with an adult because the cop will think you and your friends are dis-obeying your parents and are up to no good....... if you do choose to ride on the roads make sure your wearing full protective gear and riding on the side of the road and going way slower than the speed limit.... your bike handles way differently on the pavement than on dirt

ya i know i ride on the highway all the time just haven't got busted yet. i'm a very good rider and know what im doing but thnx for the consideration about my safety. I live like 20 miles from the border of utah on the south south west side(bottom left of colorado). i have a vapor speedometer and go a little under the speed limit but i pulled my whole end muffler cap and it's LOUD!!!! I think somebody keeps on tattle taling on me because i'm too loud but i'm always to sneaky and sly for the cops so far

just because your bike is loud doesnt mean your cool or anything.... loud bikes kill riding areas and give every rider a bad reputation when people have to deal with obnoxiously loud noises

You mentioned a couple of posts back that you are not a bad kid. I disagree. You ride an off-road only vehicle illegally on the highway while trying to evade the cops. BAD KID!! You pulled the end cap off your muffler and now have an obnoxiously loud bike that pisses people off. BAD KID!! These two acts alone make all off-road enthusiasts look like total A-Holes, and our riding areas will rapidly diminish because of punks like you. BAD KID!!

I did stupid stuff when I was your age, but if you truly love this sport, you will stop making the rest of us look bad. When you're an adult and have nowhere to ride you can thank yourself and others like you that have no respect for laws, land issues and noise issues. Most of all, no respect for this sport. Please sell your bike immediately!!

You mentioned a couple of posts back that you are not a bad kid. I disagree. You ride an off-road only vehicle illegally on the highway while trying to evade the cops. BAD KID!! You pulled the end cap off your muffler and now have an obnoxiously loud bike that pisses people off. BAD KID!! These two acts alone make all off-road enthusiasts look like total A-Holes, and our riding areas will rapidly diminish because of punks like you. BAD KID!!

I did stupid stuff when I was your age, but if you truly love this sport, you will stop making the rest of us look bad. When you're an adult and have nowhere to ride you can thank yourself and others like you that have no respect for laws, land issues and noise issues. Most of all, no respect for this sport. Please sell your bike immediately!!

it's not earblowing loud by the way :moon: and i'm not a punk :p i have straight a's fyi and no one has called me saying it's to loud. i wanted to show some consideration so i put it back in so i don't get busted. and i'm not gonna sell my dirtbike and go hug trees if thats what your thinking. Stupid OBAMA will take away dirtbikes before i get them taken away because he is not even clost to as cool as bush! :ride:

just because your bike is loud doesnt mean your cool or anything.... loud bikes kill riding areas and give every rider a bad reputation when people have to deal with obnoxiously loud noises

well with the sparkarrestor in it sounds gay. and how does it "kill" riding areas?? i have miles and miles of country roads to ride and no houses so :ride: . it's not obnoxious either it's loud but not like irritating loud! :p

i don't have a licsense cause i'm only thirteen but is there a special liscense for dirtbikes? i only use highway to get to riding spot:ride:

Driver's license meaning driver's license (you know, age 16, for cars). We don't have any special license for dirt bikes. There is one for mopeds that you can get at age 14 though. I don't know how applicable Ohio laws are in Colorado! Look at your BMV's website online. That is how I found out what our laws are regarding riding on roads.

Driver's license meaning driver's license (you know, age 16, for cars). We don't have any special license for dirt bikes. There is one for mopeds that you can get at age 14 though. I don't know how applicable Ohio laws are in Colorado! Look at your BMV's website online. That is how I found out what our laws are regarding riding on roads.

BMV's ?