Sign in to follow this  

xr100 rear brakes

I am in the process of fixing up my sons 99 xr100 I have added a moose stator and a headlight/tailight because it needs to be forestry legal here in Canada. Now I am trying to get some rear brake power because I need to push them so hard to get them to work at all and when they do finally work they stick on and then release. This bike sat for 6 years without being used.I took the brake drum apart and have brake cleaned and sanded the drum and shoes,my question is can anyone tell me how thick the shoes should be they are approx 1/8" right now.The cam is also moving freely. I don't think this bike has that many miles on it so I can't see that they would be worn out yet.My son is 10 and I have to get this bike to be safe. On a side note we originally bought this bike new and then sold it to a lady who left it sit all these years so I know the brakes worked when it was new.

theres an arrow indicator on the cam shaft and the brake panel

its just an indicator

The shoes are likely fine. Lube all the pivot points with brake grease. The trick is to center the brake hub. If you loosen the axle nut just enough so that the brake hub moves around a bit, then apply light to meduim pressure to the brake lever, while holding the brake on, tighten the axle nut completely.

This will allow the pads to contact as evenly as possible.

It will take a little break in and then they should work much better.

Brake pads can also become contaminated by chemicals, chain lube, soap, etc... Cleaning the pad surface with brake cleaner helps a lot.

• Like 2

The shoes are likely fine. Lube all the pivot points with brake grease. The trick is to center the brake hub. If you loosen the axle nut just enough so that the brake hub moves around a bit, then apply light to meduim pressure to the brake lever, while holding the brake on, tighten the axle nut completely.

Brake pads can also become contaminated by chemicals, chain lube, soap, etc... Cleaning the pad surface with brake cleaner helps a lot.

+1 --- Very good! Why didn't I think of centering the brake hub? I've been riding for 40 years and never thought of that. THANK YOU very much!

Hmm... aparently I can't give good gas in this thread. Thanks for the tip!