2008 - 2009 parts comparison

I have just spent several hours pouring over the 2009 parts fiche looking for anything different compared to the 2008 models. I have a 49 state WRX, so keep this in mind when you read this. There may be some other differences between the X and R (and California bikes). So, except for the obvious black plastic, black seat and graphics differences, here is what I found that is different and/or updated for the 2009 bike...

1. Cam chain guides mounting bolts are a different number.

2. Crankshaft main bearings. The bearing on the left side is a different number now. In '08 both left and right main bearings were the same number. I find this very interesting. Anyone know anything about this?

3. The U-shaped brace on the left side that holds the AIS, Reg/Rect, horn, etc... has different bolts holding it to the frame.

4. The tool kit appears to have an extra rubber plug or grommet thing on the top now. My bike only has a support on the bottom of the tool kit. But the '09 diagram shows something that looks like a welded on projection above the tool kit too (for added support?). Can anyone with an '09 confirm this?

5. The front caliper has a different pin on the lower side. I'm no brake expert, so I can't explain it very well. It looks like it supports the caliper. Not sure if the R has this since the front calipers are different.

6. The radiator assembly is a different number, and so are the button head allen bolts and spring nuts that hold the shroud and fins to the radiator. I wonder what is different about the radiator? Can anybody who has seen both bikes tell any difference in the rads?

7. The black plastic cover over the front of the coolant overflow tank on the left side of the bike is a different number. Maybe something to do with #3 above?

8. The rear sprocket is a different number, but I believe we have already determined that the difference is the lack of the black plastic ring on the '09 bikes.

9. The '09 bikes also have different rear axle blocks (chain pullers) on both sides.

10. The rear brake pedal is a different number. Anyone got a pic of the '09 brake pedal? Different shape maybe?

11. The big whale tail rear fender is a different number as are some of the mounting bolts for the metal brace underneath it.

12. The taillight assembly is a different number. Not sure what would be different about it though. ???

That is all I found different between my '08 WRX and the '09 WRX. My guess is most of the same holds true for you R² owners.

Thanks for the time and effort you put into this.

Can you say if the 2009 parts (or some of them) are also listed as updated parts for the 2008? Or are they all only given for 2009?

I would think Yamaha consolidates parts inventory whenever they can...

thanks again!

/dh

I used the fiche at cheapcycleparts.com. We still don't have the '09 parts catalog at work. The one problem with online fiche is they don't give info on superseded parts from one year to the next. So I can't say for sure if any of the new numbers on the '09 fiche will retro fit to the '08 bike. My guess is yes on most everything I listed, but stuff like the main bearings might not (although the rest of the crankshaft parts are the same, so the bearing will probably fit the '08).

Of all the parts I found different, I was not concerned about any of it except the main bearing on the left side of the crankshaft. Wonder why that is now a different number? Did Yamaha find some reason to change it? The two bolts for the cam chain guides are different too. Did Yamaha find a something wrong with the '08 bolts? Who knows.

I will say that it has been my experience that not all part number changes are not done because the new part is any better, stronger, etc... Sometimes they change part numbers for the simple fact that they found another part they already had that meets the same specs. Probably a cost savings measure on their part.

Hmm. Already changing engine parts? Sometimes I'd rather just not know. Then again all manufacturers are always updating/changing parts for all models every year. Constantly striving for better. That dosen't mean the other parts are bad though.

Infact I've seen manufacturers make an update for the next model year just to make it updated, and a model year or two later they change back to something of earlier because the public/raceteams didn't like the change. I believe Honda has done similar things with their valves?!

I believe there is one change that I'm interested in on the "09". It's hard to tell from pictures I look at but, it appears that there is a protector on the bottom of the upper fork tube just like on the 250f and such. It keeps the lower fork protector from wearing on that portion. If anybody knows about that(part#) or can take a picture of that part of the fork I think we with an "08" would be interested. Thanks!

I believe there is one change that I'm interested in on the "09". It's hard to tell from pictures I look at but, it appears that there is a protector on the bottom of the upper fork tube just like on the 250f and such. It keeps the lower fork protector from wearing on that portion. If anybody knows about that(part#) or can take a picture of that part of the fork I think we with an "08" would be interested. Thanks!

That's interesting. I didn't see any difference in part numbers for anything on the forks or protectors. I'll have another look.

That's interesting. I didn't see any difference in part numbers for anything on the forks or protectors. I'll have another look.

It may show the same part number but, something is different:thinking: I have made something to protect it for now but sure would like to get a part that looks like it belongs there. On a 250f they call it a protector guide. On the 08 R it's just a snap ring. Here's a picture of both 08 and 09 "R"

08WR250R_profile_blue.jpg

You got me there. I was only checking differences between WRX models. You are correct. There is an additional "protector guide" on the '09 WR250R. The fork assembly is a different number too, but I didn't spend a lot of time looking to see if this "protector guide" will retro fit to '08 models. You may want to check for yourself. I used the online fiche at cheapcycleparts.com.

I did notice this new "guide" is not on the '09 WRX. I think that sucks since my right fork protector rubs the fork too.

Reply humbly requested no later than 2-3pm tomorrow MDT, at which time I'm scheduled to pickup new '08 WR250R. '09 price about +$500 vs. '08.

L crank bearing got my attention; CURRENT PLAN IS TO INSTALL ATHENA 290cc kit & tunable ECU. I'm well over 200 lbs. Won't be abusing it but will be "coaxing" it so to speak. To be ridden mostly in No. Utah National Forests minutes from my house, 5k+ elevation.

Finally got to ride it for first time today; extremely sweet. Don't overlook it like I did originally because it's "only" a 250.

You got me there. I was only checking differences between WRX models. You are correct. There is an additional "protector guide" on the '09 WR250R. The fork assembly is a different number too, but I didn't spend a lot of time looking to see if this "protector guide" will retro fit to '08 models. You may want to check for yourself. I used the online fiche at cheapcycleparts.com.

I did notice this new "guide" is not on the '09 WRX. I think that sucks since my right fork protector rubs the fork too.

Well, thanks for checking it out for me. I will look into it more. I may just go a head a get a pair if their not much. If they work out, I'll let everyone know.
Reply humbly requested no later than 2-3pm tomorrow MDT, at which time I'm scheduled to pickup new '08 WR250R. '09 price about +$500 vs. '08.

L crank bearing got my attention; CURRENT PLAN IS TO INSTALL ATHENA 290cc kit & tunable ECU.

Not sure what reply you are humbly requesting since you didn't really ask a question. I am not sure if the left main bearing will work on an '08 bike. The crankshaft is the same number, and everything else in the block seems to be the same numbers as '08, but I would really double check that info good with an actual dealer to make sure before wasting the time and money to install a different bearing. Maybe the dealer knows something I don't know. All I can tell you is there is no service bulletin on this, and that leads me to believe Yamaha didn't think it was nessesary to call for any recalls/updates to the '08 engine. I'm in the marine end of Yamaha, but have access to all Yamaha bulletins. I have never seen them change just one main bearing part number from one year to the next. If they change bearings, it is usually all the bearings, not just one. I really would like to know why the left one is different on the '09 bike.

Hi all. Just purchased an 09 WR250R today! Was still in the crate so their building it now. I asked him what was the big difference between the 08 and 09 and he said the FI computer will now remap itself if you put on a different muffler or change to a high flow airfilter without needing the programmer. He said if you really want to unleash it, yea, a programmer would be needed. But doing those simple changes the FI will compensate now. Newbie here so can't confirm.

Anyways, love this forum. Been lurking for quite awhile. It was these forums that had me lean away from the KLX250s to the WR250R.

For reader's information in reply to the above described "high-flow" intake systems.

The dynograph for the Athena 290cc kit (unequivocally the best overrall graph of any single integrated modification for this motor) was made w/ OEM exhaust & intake. In other words, the best current upgrade for this motor was performed w/ the OEM intake system.

The above fact irritates members who schlepp aftermarket so-called upgrades; it also contradicts naive dreamers who believe in performane upgrades for little money + some elbow grease.

The graph supports the opinion that modifying the OEM intake system only lowers resale value & potentially increases noise level (which increases the likelihood of permament ear injury, makes the bike more anti-social & contributes to decreased riding "priveliges" over time)

Hey ro7939,I wish there were more people like you in the world.

For reader's information in reply to the above described "high-flow" intake systems.

The dynograph for the Athena 290cc kit (unequivocally the best overrall graph of any single integrated modification for this motor) was made w/ OEM exhaust & intake. In other words, the best current upgrade for this motor was performed w/ the OEM intake system.

The above fact irritates members who schlepp aftermarket so-called upgrades; it also contradicts naive dreamers who believe in performane upgrades for little money + some elbow grease.

The graph supports the opinion that modifying the OEM intake system only lowers resale value & potentially increases noise level (which increases the likelihood of permament ear injury, makes the bike more anti-social & contributes to decreased riding "priveliges" over time)

Hey just think how good the 290 motor would run with a free breathing intake and an exhaust not restricted by a tiny CAT and EXUP to ensure the CAT stays at proper temp for emissions! Silly people and their "schleppy" aftermarket parts that are not bound by the social and political constraints that Yamaha is....

Enjoy your new no warranty WR250.....I can put my OEM parts back on to de-schlepp my bike....:thumbsup:

I was hoping someone would catch on.dang

Hi all. Just purchased an 09 WR250R today! Was still in the crate so their building it now. I asked him what was the big difference between the 08 and 09 and he said the FI computer will now remap itself if you put on a different muffler or change to a high flow airfilter without needing the programmer. He said if you really want to unleash it, yea, a programmer would be needed. But doing those simple changes the FI will compensate now. Newbie here so can't confirm.

Anyways, love this forum. Been lurking for quite awhile. It was these forums that had me lean away from the KLX250s to the WR250R.

That's funny because the ECU part number is the same for both '08 and '09 bikes, so how can the new one be different? hummmmm.....

:usa: We hashed that one out, yes? Let me know what pics of what you want Mark, and I'll go out and snap them for you. I'll have to wash it first tho...it's coated in mud from the first season.:thumbsup:
That's funny because the ECU part number is the same for both '08 and '09 bikes, so how can the new one be different? hummmmm.....

My only guess is that the part number is just the "hardware". Could be a "software" upgrade? I took my 03 Mazda MPV in and they upgraded it to the newest software for better shift points, timing, better MPG but didn't need a new ECU.

My only guess is that the part number is just the "hardware". Could be a "software" upgrade? I took my 03 Mazda MPV in and they upgraded it to the newest software for better shift points, timing, better MPG but didn't need a new ECU.

Dude, I have been working with Yamaha Marine systems for over 25 years, and they are the same company that makes our bikes. I doubt they run the motorcycle division any different than the marine division. When an ECU gets updated the part number changes. Dealers do not have the capability to update ECU's on Yamahas. It is all done at the factory in Japan. The part number for the '08 and '09 ECU on the WR250R/X is the same.