How do i use the Hot Start?

Hi Friends,

I have 2005 CRF 250. It's a bitch to start cold and I'm open to suggestion on what I might do to alleviate the leg exercises, other than throwing her away. Also, I'm not sure how to use the Hot start correctly after she's been warmed up. Can someone help with some simple instructions?

Thank you all for your time.

Cheers,

Gil

the hot start just lets more air in than gas. and the choke lets more gas in then air. so i turn the choke on, start it and ride. then after you stop again or whatever i pull the hot start...

:lol:

dont use it unless its hard to start when hot.

1. pull in the lever

2. start it

3. let go of lever

yeah, only use the hot start when the bike has been running for a while.

just hold it in while youre kicking it, then let it go once the bike starts. if the engine is warm, the air inside the engine is warm.. and doesnt have much oxygen in it so the bike is kinda hard to start. when you pull in the hot start it opens up a door and lets fresh air into the engine making it easier to start. dont twist the throttle when youre kicking it either.

if your bike is hard to start when cold you should check your intake valves.

...dont twist the throttle when youre kicking it either.

This is the key point. NEVER twist the throttle on a 4t to start it. Many people coming off 2t bikes give the bike throttle when they kick it over. I watch my brother and my nephew when they ride my RMZ, for them twisting the right hand at BDC to fire up the old smoker is ingrained in their head and they cant get out of the habit. They will be there for ages kicking and kicking. I get them to hold the bar bad to stop them doing it and it works, bike fires up first kick.

If the bike hasn't been fired up for a bit give the throttle two blips before you kick it and that should help. The CRF is a little unfamiliar to me, try putting something on the Honda page.

Also, if your bike is hard to start cold thats a sign that your valves may be out of specs ...

Hi Friends,

I have 2005 CRF 250. It's a bitch to start cold and I'm open to suggestion on what I might do to alleviate the leg exercises, other than throwing her away. Also, I'm not sure how to use the Hot start correctly after she's been warmed up. Can someone help with some simple instructions?

Thank you all for your time.

Cheers,

Gil

If the weather changes you may have to play with all your controls, If my bike is cold I pull out the choke and if it doesnt start after four kicks I will push the choke back in and try four more times and then I may pull in my hot start and try a few kicks, yes even when its cold I will use my hot start because I run my bike on the rich side and if the weather changes it may be too rich and the hot start will lean it out. If it starts cold with the hot start then I'll know I need to adjust the air screw and lean it out a little. Most bikes have a sequence they like to start you just have to figure it out and make sure your jetting is set right.

Damn, when I had my YZ250F it started very easily. 1-2 kicks when warm, and between 2-4 when cold.

First, find the cause of the hard start when cold. As someone else said it is a good indication that your valves are out of spec.

On my YZ 250F -

Cold - engage choke, two twists of throttle, and it fires on the 2nd or 3rd kick. Sometimes if it is really cold then I give it another twist of the throttle.

Hot - I always try to kick it without the hot-start first. I know when it is warmed up that it will fire on the first or second kick. It seems that I don't need the hot start unless the engine is really hot - if I kick it 3 times and it does not fire, then I pull the hot start and it nearly always fires on the next kick.

Thank you, everyone, for you input. That helps alot.

Cheers,

Gil

This is the key point. NEVER twist the throttle on a 4t to start it. Many people coming off 2t bikes give the bike throttle when they kick it over. I watch my brother and my nephew when they ride my RMZ, for them twisting the right hand at BDC to fire up the old smoker is ingrained in their head and they cant get out of the habit. They will be there for ages kicking and kicking. I get them to hold the bar bad to stop them doing it and it works, bike fires up first kick.

If the bike hasn't been fired up for a bit give the throttle two blips before you kick it and that should help. The CRF is a little unfamiliar to me, try putting something on the Honda page.

some bikes its nessisary. on my 01 yz250f i have to give it throttle to start, and yes my valves are good.