KienTech Starter Clearance - Or Lack Thereof

Installed an E model FCR (with stock E manifold and boot) on my '03 S recently. Ran it only briefly because it was about 200 below zero outside and much of the bike was still in pieces.

I'm just not happy with how little clearance there is between the extended fuel screw and the starter. It's currently adjusted two-turns-out but there's virtually no clearance between the screw and the starter housing.

I'm afraid the vibration/motion of the running engine will cause contact with the fuel screw and could cause damage. Not to mention the adjustability of the extended screw is virtually nullified by the lack of clearance.

Thoughts?

Tipsy

img1985largewu4.jpg

img1984largeka9.jpg

img1983largebj5.jpg

you will mess your threads up pretty bad if you run it like that for a while. those threads are easily buttered up as it is.

Never seen a Kientech screw that close. Where is the FCR from? Are you sure you do not have two orings in there? Something is amiss. Go over the carb install.

Never seen a Kientech screw that close. Where is the FCR from? Are you sure you do not have two orings in there? Something is amiss. Go over the carb install.
2000 E model FCR.

I removed the bowl (had the carb apart soaking in a Simple Green/water soultion for two days), removed the stock screw along with the washer, spring and o-ring, drilled the bowl opening and reinstalled the extended screw. Couldn't have two o-rings because I didn't have two o-rings to install. Just reinstalled what I removed.

Tipsy

Ha ha. :worthy:

The easy solution is to ditch the extended screw, or even better, the starter motor. If there's any justice in the world, having a hot souped up "S" should mean that you have to suffer the indignity of kick-starting. :lol:

Seriously, there's usually enough play in the boots seating on their respective housings that I bet if you loosened the giant hose clamps, and supported the carb upwards a little as you retightened them, that you would buy a quarter inch clearance, and wouldn't screw up the finely-tuned airflow.

You gonna have that thing ready for Sandy Lane?

Ha ha. :banghead:

The easy solution is to ditch the extended screw, or even better, the starter motor. If there's any justice in the world, having a hot souped up "S" should mean that you have to suffer the indignity of kick-starting. :lol:

Seriously, there's usually enough play in the boots seating on their respective housings that I bet if you loosened the giant hose clamps, and supported the carb upwards a little as you retightened them, that you would buy a quarter inch clearance, and wouldn't screw up the finely-tuned airflow.

You gonna have that thing ready for Sandy Lane?

The bike could possibly be ready for Sandy Lane...but my arse will be on a five day layover in Waikiki :worthy:

Tried loosening and repositioning. Not happening.

bk

mine only sticks out about that far but it has a little more room than that. did you tighten your band clamps all the way up? is the carb and boots all snugged up tight?

Mine is close, but not that close.

did you tighten your band clamps all the way up? is the carb and boots all snugged up tight?

Yes and yes.

Tipsy

There was a guy posting with the same issue a few months back....about identical pictures.....I seems to remember that the threads were catching and he could`nt screw it all the way in.........Or maybe my mind is wandering...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737878&highlight=kientech+fuel+screw

Erling

Yeah...I remeber that. But his problem was that he hadn't drilled the float bowl.

I drilled the bowl and the fuel screw threads properly into the carb. You can see in the photo in his thread how much farther the screw is extended out of the bowl before he figured out what was up.

I'll pull the carb again and pull the float bowl to see if there's anything I could have missed.

Tipsy

Yeah...I remeber that. But his problem was that he hadn't drilled the float bowl.

I drilled the bowl and the fuel screw threads properly into the carb. You can see in the photo in his thread how much farther the screw is extended out of the bowl before he figured out what was up.

I'll pull the carb again and pull the float bowl to see if there's anything I could have missed.

Tipsy

:lol::worthy:

Erling

:lol::worthy:

Erling

I'm wondering if the carb is too far forward?

I don't really see how this is possible though since the manifold, carb, boot and airbox all came from the same donor "E." But maybe somehow the carb is slid too far into the manifold???

Tipsy

I'm wondering if the carb is too far forward?

I don't really see how this is possible though since the manifold, carb, boot and airbox all came from the same donor "E." But maybe somehow the carb is slid too far into the manifold???

Tipsy

I think there is a stop in the boot towards the cylinder prohibiting the carb from going too much forward...Perhaps snap a pic or two with the whole carb in stalled instead of a close up so we can see...:lol::worthy:

Erling

I think there is a stop in the boot towards the cylinder prohibiting the carb from going too much forward...Perhaps snap a pic or two with the whole carb in stalled instead of a close up so we can see...:lol::worthy:

Erling

Would post a few if it were bit easier...but I live in NYC and my bike lives in NJ :banghead:

bk

i was just out looking at mine and you only have about an 1/8" to go. when i put mine in last week it was resting on the starter like yours until I tightened everything back up.

Perhaps snap a pic or two with the whole carb in stalled instead of a close up so we can see...:p:ride:

Erling

Don't know if these will reveal much but:

img1987largeck1.jpg

img1988largeuy5.jpg

Don't know if these will reveal much but:

img1987largeck1.jpg

img1988largeuy5.jpg

That actually looks good......well except fo the engine mounts...It looks like they are as installed from the factory. If that is the case...take the right one and install it next to the left..That way you can turn the carb to maybe gain more distance...but for sure get more throttle wheel clearence.....:p:ride:

Erling

That actually looks good......well except for the engine mounts

Yeah, and the fact that the screw is .0001 MM from contacting the starter :p

I recall reading about repositioning the engine mounts in the past...but never quite grasped exactly what's being suggested???

Tipsy