Sign in to follow this  

Changing the packing on an older Dr. D exhaust

Hey Yall,

I have an 02 YZ250F with an old style DR. D full system (perfectly round)

I tried to remove teh outer shell to no avail, I've watched quite a few "how-to's including the one from dubach themselves... removed the silicone bead, then tried to bang off the outer sleve by the bracket... and all I did was almost destroy my hammer..

anyone have experience with these old cans?

Thanks!

I have the same exhaust as you,make sure you cut the silicone bead with a utility knive,and when you drill out the rivets make sure you push the leftover rivet into the packing.Then tap the can with a hard plastic end hammer,just as the video shows.

The key is to tap the ends of the rivits into the inside, otherwise you're just banging the rivits against the can and stretching the holes out. Tap them in with a nail or punch and they will just imbed into the packing, and will come out when it slides appart.

the video showed that you only took off the three hex bolts on the mid pipe side but that is on the new pipe.

So on this one, I have take out the rivets on the back of the of the pipe too?!

that's dumb... :p

the video showed that you only took off the three hex bolts on the mid pipe side but that is on the new pipe.

So on this one, I have take out the rivets on the back of the of the pipe too?!

that's dumb... :p

You shouldn't have to. The previous poster was talking about pipes that have both ends riveted. If yours has screws at one end you just need to take them out and pull it apart. They are often glued together with silicone, so they do come apart hard.