XR400 does not start

I have a 1998 xr 400. It has not been run for a couple of years. I drained the old fuel and cleaned the carb but will not start. The bike has good spark, but even using starting fluid the bike will not even pop. Although the bike is a 1998, it has less than 500 miles on it. Does anyone know what is going on?

sticky valves? have them checked

How extensively did you clean the carb? Did you remove the fuel screw, spring, washer and o-ring and clean that passage? Did you remove the jets and clean those passages?

Drain the oil and put 2 new qts. in. Put in a new properly gapped spark plug. make sure you know the proper start routine. If after those things it won't start, try to pull or push start it.

Even if I had missed something with the carb cleaning, I would think that I should get at least a pop using starting fluid. Was woinding what the 2 new quarts of oil had to do with anything?

Even if I had missed something with the carb cleaning, I would think that I should get at least a pop using starting fluid. Was woinding what the 2 new quarts of oil had to do with anything?

if its been sitting for more than a year put fresh oil in it before you even try to start it. my old honda 125 wouldnt start changed the oil and it started, i was dumbfouned as to why it did that.

but the bottom line is CHANGE YOUR OIL.

Nothing beats a new, properly gapped, spark plug for a bike that won't start.

OK, a big hill is the best.

Check list.

New plug

Clean air filter

Cleaned out carb.

New gasoline. 2 year old gas is for parts cleaning and lawnmowers.

Next

Turn on the gas line.

Turn up the idle 1.5 turns.

Lay the bike on the left side until gas drools out.

Choke full on.

Pull the comp release and kick over 5 times. Release.

TDC on the kick starter,

Good solid kick.

Should fire in 5 kicks at most.

A hill is great for getting the dead to run again. 2nd gear.

It's been sitting for 2 years with the old oil in it. If stored outside or someplace susceptible to temps from one end of the scale to the other it can become contaminated with condensation. Then depending on how old the oil was last time it was run, there could be some break down and acidity. It's probably good that it hasn't started yet, as you sure don't want that old oil pumping thru the engine.