Gear Shifting?

I went for my first trail ride on my 07 kxf.....i found at times it was very difficult to find neutral.... most of the time id skip it and go to 2nd other times I could not move gear shift and would have to roll bike forwards and backwards a little to get gear shifter free to move.....one thing i noticed was gear shifter prob not in comfortable position but doenst explain the other stuff..anyone have any ideas????? also should i be able to run through gears when bike is off????

sounds like something isn't right inside that transmission.

yeah it just feels as if sometimes it does not want to goe into gear, but roll the wheel and then it will click in....very odd... i probably need another ride to see if it still does it.. only notice from 1st - 2nd allot of the time it works fine though...

I went for my first trail ride on my 07 kxf.....i found at times it was very difficult to find neutral.... most of the time id skip it and go to 2nd other times I could not move gear shift and would have to roll bike forwards and backwards a little to get gear shifter free to move.....one thing i noticed was gear shifter prob not in comfortable position but doenst explain the other stuff..anyone have any ideas????? also should i be able to run through gears when bike is off????
Thats totally normal man. With my 08 i have to click all the way down to first then rock the bike while putting a little bit of pressure down on the gear selector and it will click down and then i shift up very lightly and it will just fall into neutral. and no, you shouldent be able to click up threw the gears when the bike isnt running or moving. you can click from first to second and unless you rock the bike forward, you wont be able to get it into third. The tranny on these bikes takes a little while to get used to, and neutral is always a little challenging to find untill you get the hang of it. I still have to reach down and just use my hand to get it into neutral, espacily when I have my riding boots on. Does the bike shift fine when you ride it? Also do you use your clutch to shift or not?

oh sweet. one thing i forgot to mention was going from neutral to first goes a bit rough and lurches forward .....assuming clutch not full engaing due to stretched cable or something??? this could contribute??? on trail maybe i just wasnt hitting gear shifter enough to flick into 2nd....the bike seems to ride sweet most of the time however I only just got it.....I will take it for a ride up road and see if i have any troubles getting into 2nd..hopefully not....but yeah some times shifter feels a bit stuck and require rocking bike

I do clutch to shift

oh sweet. one thing i forgot to mention was going from neutral to first goes a bit rough and lurches forward .....assuming clutch not full engaing due to stretched cable or something??? this could contribute??? on trail maybe i just wasnt hitting gear shifter enough to flick into 2nd....the bike seems to ride sweet most of the time however I only just got it.....I will take it for a ride up road and see if i have any troubles getting into 2nd..hopefully not....but yeah some times shifter feels a bit stuck and require rocking bike

The clutch lever should have a penny´s thickness in clearance at the wire.

Also, your clutch basket could be worn and not disengaging fully. On my -07 it was easy to find neutral, but you have to be careful with boots on, since too much boot pressure just pops it into next gear...

i found while riding on trail i kept finding neutral as opposed to getting in 2nd then when i come to a stand still the otherway round kept finding 2nd instead of neutral...I will adjust cable tonight.....then failing that i guess i look at clutch itself??

i believe there is a on the fly adjuster you can use to stop your lurching problem its prolly just engaging to quick for you i had the same problem and try moving the shift lever around until your comfortable i need to do it but i cant ride right now.

what on the fly sorry?

The "wheel" or "star" adjuster on the clutch perch:

56-02006.jpg

Turn it forward and the wire gets tighter.

oh yeah im about to play with that, i have read snippets from downloaded 06 manual i assume not different from 07.... it says to adjust clutch from further down cabel and use star for fine tune so that about where i am up to..need to fine tune from clutch lever...my old bike cr 125 had same prob it was quite hard to get right you could stop the lurch but then clutch was slipping hope goes well with my kx250f07

i hve pulled bike down to do top end but when i get going I will let ya know how bike changes gear...up road it was fine but ontrail it felt like it would not get into 2nd ie going from first clicking up and it would feel stuck? and i would have to try again when wheel rotates a bit more and it would....admittingling my boot had a couple of kgs of mud all over it