Sign in to follow this  

wr250r vs wr250f

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get an offroad bike that i can ride to the trails. I live in Australia where the wr250f comes street legal out of the box.

I like the look of the wr250r, but i'm worried that it won't be powerful enough offroad and i'll grow out of it? The bike will be a toy, so it needs to be fun.

The wr250f will have plenty of power, but will kill it by riding it on the street?

Which bike should i go for?

Any help would be much appreciated.

if you get the f your gona have to use very high octaine gas to run it, HIGH $$$ fuel for the 12.5:1 compression

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelspecs/66/0/specs.aspx

the r is more street worthy with a compression of 11.8:1

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelspecs/595/0/specs.aspx

your choice

Difine "very high" octane gas. I had a 250R and ran 91, then bought

a 450F and still run 91. No problems at all.

The F is far superior on the trails than the R, BUT the R would be a

much better choice if you are going to ride it on the streets.

The R is smoother, although the newer F models with Aluminum

frames are pretty nice. The R also has a better maint schedule.

Just overall easier to maintain.

After riding the R for one season, I decided to go to the F due to

my strict use for off road. Otherwise I would have stayed with the R

for street. The R I had was highly modded to increase performance,

which was almost a must for true off road riding.

I think the main question would need to be...How much off road

riding compared to street riding are you looking at? If you are

talking about very short street runs to get to trails, then I would

say the F. If you are talking about riding it to work, or longer

rides to trails, then probably the R. But get ready for a bit of money

in performance mods to the R. Exhaust, fuel tuner, gearing change.

Just plan on about 600 to 800 dollars in upgrades.

i went from f to x , engine rebuilds are costly for the f about $25000 if done by a shop,they are needed a lot more than the x/r,plus 500 km oil changes yuk!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you will kill it by riding it on the street,a lot quicker.

i went from f to x , engine rebuilds are costly for the f about $25000 if done by a shop,they are needed a lot more than the x/r,plus 500 km oil changes yuk!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you will kill it by riding it on the street,a lot quicker.

You got screwed if you spent 25,000 dollars on a rebuid of 6-7,000 dollar

bike.....:p

The F you will not grow out of. The maintenance you might. I really think it comes down to if your up to the maint and have the $ to keep it up. If you let it go, it will bite back hard in the long run. If you let it go on the R, it will be much more forgiving. We all should really be doing lots of maint on any bike to keep it tip top for years to come, but lets face it, we'd rather ride it than wrench on it.(except D/H of course) Im really starting to get used to doing my own maint, and the more I do the easier it gets and its actually getting enjoyable and rewarding. + the next time you maintain what you've already done the season before, its a breeze to do.

Last bit- the F is geared for low speed and not highway speeds. If you run it on the highway without re-gearing, I suspect you'll open a can of worms with engine problems.

oops to many 0,s,still got screwed over at $2,500.

I have ridden both but own a wr250r. One thing to think about if you go with the wr250r is it is a heavy bike. I am only 140 lbs so I stuggle with this issue on hard climbs and technical rides. The bike is what it is and it will never be a light weight trail bike. If you can live with that (and I can) the wr250r is a good bike. The weight issue is also why I will not do any mods on this bike except for gearing, handle bars and tires. Enjoying it for what it is, a low maintenance very cool dual sport......wayne

i personally have riden both of these bikes on and off road.

ok the wr250r is going to be the faster of the two because of the extra gear and fuel injection.

both bikes use the same 91 oct fuel. so that is not a issue. i dont know who said it would be but that is what is reccomended from the factory.

my .02

wr250f all frecking day. the R is relly week off road and not snapy at all. the suspension is like a wr knock off that looks the same but dosnt ride the same. (just like a sanyo TV. LOL it will never be a sony) and another thing to think about is for less than 1000.$ why not just get the wr450f. i have one and i frecking love it.all you have to do is the free mods to it wich if you go to the wr page you will see what i am talking about. and boom you have a bike that rocks off road as well as on. some of my frinds on yz cant keep up with me on my wr450f.

at the end of the day i guess i will leave u with a saying that someone told me in my shop when i told them about the R. they said why would i buy a bike that sucked at both on and off road. when i can buy a wr450f and convert it to street leagle and have twice the bike.

i can buy a wr450f and convert it to street leagle and have twice the bike.

Some states it is impossible to convert an off road motorcycle to street legal.

I currently own both these bikes and a WR250 2T. I have had the WRR every where I have taken the WRF. The WRR is a lot nicer on the roads and does just fine off the road. The only place I think I have felt the weight of the WRR is while riding on the ice and snow, it is a little heavy for that. I have made it through the same mud holes with both bikes and climbed the same hills.