Sign in to follow this  

Choke issues on a 08

ok i cant start my crf with the choke on at all as in no chance of it firing but if i hold the hot start in it will fire within a few minutes but still hard to start cold, when it is warm it has no problems starting with the hot start in.

i live in north west Australia so its quite hot and about 1700ft above sea level, can anyone help as i dont understand carbs to well and any jetting info would be good to cheers..

oh yeah bike is stock..

ok i cant start my crf with the choke on at all as in no chance of it firing but if i hold the hot start in it will fire within a few minutes but still hard to start cold, when it is warm it has no problems starting with the hot start in.

i live in north west Australia so its quite hot and about 1700ft above sea level, can anyone help as i dont understand carbs to well and any jetting info would be good to cheers..

oh yeah bike is stock..

Its waaayy to rich for that temp & alt standard...What temp & humidity is...

If you still have the stock 188 main in there, it's too rich. In our 08, even with the cold temps in Ohio, I'm running a 42 pilot and a 172 main with the mixture screw out 2 1/4 turns. It still starts with the choke off, but because of the cold weather, I'm afraid to lean it out anymore. Once it's running, he pulls the choke out for a minute or so. This seems to be pretty consistent with all the 08's.

its about 35 deg C and it is quite humid at the moment, after i start the bike it seams to run fine, I pulled it apart yesterday and did valve clearances and there sweet but the plug is a bit on the black side, with saying that it doesn't seam to pop or run badly its just hard to start with the choke on

If you still have the stock jetting, start by dropping the main down to a 175. As I said, the 188 is way too rich. Your pilot should be a 42 if it is still stock. You'll be suprised at the performance gain. I'd bet that you will probably end up with a 170 or 172 main when its all done. When it warms up to around 70 degrees F, I run a 42 pilot and a 168 main. Never had any problems running lean. If you have a bog issue, pick up an adjustable leak jet. Around $100 and well worth it!

cheers mate i will give it a go today and i will let you know cheers

Excellent! Let me know how it does...:p

ok i put in the 175 main and a 40 pilot jets today and went for a ride doesn't seam to lean and seams a bit more on the punchy side of things do you think that will be sweet?

ok i put in the 175 main and a 40 pilot jets today and went for a ride doesn't seam to lean and seams a bit more on the punchy side of things do you think that will be sweet?

If I were you, I'd play around with the main a bit more. I've mostly used the 172 on top. Keep an ear open for it to start popping. If that starts to happen, you know you're getting a bit on the lean side. If you have a 42 pilot, give it a shot and see how it feels with it. Also, how far out is your mixture screw?

I have this same problem here in ohio as well. Bike is incredibly impossible to start when cold! choke doesnt work when cold and am running a 172 as well. its a honda deal :p

Same problem here - No start with the choke on. It is totally nice otherwise. It has done this since day 1. My 06 never had this problem. I wonder if the decompresson mod will make a difference. I may have to try it.

The fuel screw is 1 1/8 turn out (stock), i am going to get a fuel mixture screw for it so i can play around with it some more, i'm starting to read up on jetting and i think i am starting to understand it.

The bike feels better with the new jetting now but i will keep an ear out to see if it is to lean but it seams more respnsive.

Same problem here - No start with the choke on. It is totally nice otherwise. It has done this since day 1. My 06 never had this problem. I wonder if the decompresson mod will make a difference. I may have to try it.

The decompression mod won't make a difference on the cold start issue. Our 08 is the same way along with most of the others with the cold start choke issue. I did the decompression mod and it definately made it easier to start, but no difference when it was cold. The 06 we have is totally different. 2 blips with the choke on and it fired right up. Most 08's are just a bitch to start. Bring on the e-start button!:p

The decompression mod won't make a difference on the cold start issue. Our 08 is the same way along with most of the others with the cold start choke issue. I did the decompression mod and it definately made it easier to start, but no difference when it was cold. The 06 we have is totally different. 2 blips with the choke on and it fired right up. Most 08's are just a bitch to start. Bring on the e-start button!:p

Why doesn't anyone just sell a deccompression part as aftermarket that is the mod?

Why doesn't anyone just sell a deccompression part as aftermarket that is the mod?

Good question.

It's real simple too do. Think of it as a camshaft. You don't want to lower the lift on the lobe, you want to shorten the duration of time it opens and closes the valve.

I think it was Ron Hamp who posted a nice drawing as to how it's done with some measurments and instructions.