Crf600

Hey all..

Does anyone know about the xr650 being replaced ? I keep reading about a crf600 with efi etc etc ( its all hearsay )... But the Xr is getting a little dated... so does anyone know anything ?

Imagine a fuel injected fire breathing 600cc or more X... :worthy::D:D:D:D:D

The way i see it, honda held off with efi on the 09 x, maybe they are making a new motor for 2010, different to the R... With 450 and 600 with efi... just like ktm 450 and 525, werent they the same motor just stroked ?

OK maybe im going too far with this, but wouldnt it be good?

Hey all..

With 450 and 600 with efi... just like ktm 450 and 525, werent they the same motor just stroked ?

I honestly think that would be building a time bomb using the current cases. I could See a complete redesign but with a very different bore and stroke configuration, in fact you might be able to leave the bore alone and stroke the piss out of it. I think a 600 with the current style would be a absolute MONSTER and probably pretty unrideable.

Bryce

Hey all..

Does anyone know about the xr650 being replaced ?

The 2005 CRF450X replaced the XR650R. Baja is the proving ground, and the 450X is Honda's offroad flagship.

I can't see Honda throwing R&D into a CRF6??X model. The answer to gobs of torque and power back in 2000 was the big block. Today, the answer is more tech with smaller displacements, but with the cost of some CRF persnickety-ness in maintenance vs XR long-term bulletproof-ness.

Just my .02

My friend had told me he heard Honda was putting the 700XX sport quad engine in a dirt bike..?I've ridden his 700XX quad and, that would be a sweet engine in a bike it's a real torque monster, and it's fuel injected..

But, hey this could just be another internet rumor, for all I know??...

It would be a nice set-up for a dual sport as well..

Honda is running the revamped 650R motor in the big quad. I expect that motor or a version of it will go in a new bike chassis. Maybe this will replace the 650L? Something is brewing.

I did see that...and with e-start, too, correct? Seems the PTO is not right for a bike, IIRC. But that would just be a matter of a different case half or halves, countershaft changes, etc.

I'd love the see the 650R engine in a modern e-start chassis that is trailworthy first, and legal enough to pass DOT second.

Sometimes, I just try to put myself in Honda's viewpoint---they have their Baja King, and they sell every 650L they make. Waht would be their motivation to tool up for a 650R that is e-start and DOT-legal? I'd love to see it happen, just not holding my breath for it to.

C'mon Honda...you're the best out there...keep it up. ?

All good oppinions.... Id just like to see honda build a big bore thumper, similar to the likes of the ktm 530 or the huski 510 etc etc... Ive big bored my 450x to 490 and love it, id love even more torque actually..

Anyway it wouldnt hurt to update the 650L.. crf650x. ?:D

Ive also read about the efi quad motor in a bike frame... Its all rumours, but time will tell..

I know its a little early, but any rumours about the 2010 x ? Efi ? update ?

There are not enough customers for a CRF600, according to the press insiders. It would cut into the CRF450 sales.

I haven't heard any of these rumors (til now), but what Krannie says makes sense to me- If this bike being talked about does become reality I would love to see it as an off-road worthy dual sport bike and not a rehashed version of the old 650.

Well i simply want to see a 650 or 700 cc crfx.. same frame and everything, just bigger donk... Surely it wouldnt be too hard to make, they already have the bike, the crf450x, and they have the 700cc efi motor out of the quad... a little cut and weld and some RnD and you have a monster! the xr 650L is crap IMHO... Its out dated! Sure it has its purpose, but its not a real contender compared to what other manufactures have out there... Ktm and the rest!

i just want to be able to walk into a dealer and have an option, not just 250 or 450... I want efi, like get with the times honda! The xr is oldschool these days!

I had also heard the rumors of a 700 motor for the desert market but that was a little over a year ago when I heard that from my dealership. His Honda rep was talking about something. Me, personally I kinda like the big XR but it is much easier to rally my 450x than haul that big tank around in the desert. My bro has a worked up 650 that he still races desert with and he is a big boy anyway so it doesn't bother him. I find it fun to rally on his bike from time to time. Makes him mad when I can corner it faster than he does.?

They'd probably do well to follow the KTM business model. They have a bike for everything. As it stands right now, it's just an X and an R. It's up to the customer to tailor the ride for their purpose. Buy the right KTM and you're good to go, at least moreso than the Honda. That there makes up the price difference IMO, especially to make on street legal. I'd like to see them stroke the X and legalize it to compete with the 530 EXC.

The XR650L needs a drastic update. Still a viable bike. I actually see more of these on the road than I do CBRs. DS bikes are pretty big in TX. We have some of the straightest, most boring roads so lots of people are jumping into DS for variety and more fun.

They'd probably do well to follow the KTM business model. They have a bike for everything. As it stands right now, it's just an X and an R. It's up to the customer to tailor the ride for their purpose. Buy the right KTM and you're good to go, at least moreso than the Honda. That there makes up the price difference IMO, especially to make on street legal. I'd like to see them stroke the X and legalize it to compete with the 530 EXC.

The XR650L needs a drastic update. Still a viable bike. I actually see more of these on the road than I do CBRs. DS bikes are pretty big in TX. We have some of the straightest, most boring roads so lots of people are jumping into DS for variety and more fun.

Honda sells more CRF 50's and 70's than all of KTM's product line put together. They can't 'follow KTM's business model' beause they are a big lumbering beast of a company.

Honda sells more CRF 50's and 70's than all of KTM's product line put together. They can't 'follow KTM's business model' beause they are a big lumbering beast of a company.
That's really beside the point. Honda is much bigger obviously, so they sell more. Perhaps they'd sell even more if they had more models to choose from. One reason buyers go to KTM, is because the Honda models are few and generic, not use specific, excepting the R model. Street bikes are another area where Honda is losing business. They're so conservative when it comes to offering different models that buyers go elsewhere.

If I were in the market for a street legal (or green sticker) performance DS or off-road bike, would I consider Honda? Sorry to say, NO.

I agree with you 100%, x1glider. The trend in off road machines is to have one street legal. That way we can ride to trail areas and don't have to worry about loading the bike, off road permits, and all the rest. I could hop on a big bore thumper and ride 90% off road from here in Yuma, AZ to Reno, NV on the right machine. Honda makes NOTHING like that right now. The 650L is a turd compared to the big Katooms, Husabergs, or even the new Beamers. The giant "adventure" machines are too much for serious off road IMO. A totally legal big bore Honda thumper would sell like hotcakes. It could even be a V-twin since most of the market probably wouldn't be racing them anyway. AMA will be doing DS competitions since our riding areas are shrinking faster than Congress can spend our money.

This is exactly what i was getting at, i dont mean they need to update the xr.. they need to put it to rest...

The current 450 engine could be stroked just like ktm do it...

And i really feel sorry for you guys, l dont understand why the x isnt plated in the states as standard... If i walk into a honda dealer the 450 and 250 x all come plated with lights blinkers horn speedo tacho etc etc standard shit, no extra cost...

If you want to ride offroad here you need a plate no matter what, there is no such thing as green sticker..

The funny thing is, when i did by my bike, the thing was covered with, " not for highway use " stickers.. yet they slapped a plate on the back.. That goes to show the rules over here dont mean much to the company with enough money.