Sign in to follow this  

Rekluse z-start pro

I'm also interested in what settings everyone is using. I'm a C-class MX rider and was planning on using the Medium RPM/Soft Engagement setup. I'm hoping to do the install tomorrow.

I just recieved mine today but waiting to install because i would like to know what everyone is running for the tuning before i get it all tore apart.

Easy answer: The KX engine has good bottom end and an incredible torque spread, so IMHO you'd be nuts to waste it, and NOT let the clutch start working for you in the lowest revs possible. And make sure it does NOT work for you when it's no longer required. So go the low RPM setup for sure. For max benefit the rekluse should auto slip just before or at the initial torque hit. As far as I care, the 06 KX450F hits at 2000 RPM.

As far as the "hard" vs soft "hit", just take your pick. I like soft, because I can roll the throttle open and lay the power down in corners at a rate which my body can keep up with in terms of chassis lean etc. But to be honest it still hits pretty hard if you snap the throttle even half open. So if you feel like you've laid it over too much in a rut, it's not a problem, your right hand still has the power. :p

How does that work? Do you like it?

Awesome. Instant pull- Plus I set the idle up so that it creeps in first on the garage floor- this maintains the nice engine braking. The bike is rediculous. There is no excessive slipping or anything to overcome. The bike remains the same. Perfect torque, No stalling and this thing slips better than I could with my left hand.

• Like 1

Awesome. Instant pull- Plus I set the idle up so that it creeps in first on the garage floor- this maintains the nice engine braking. The bike is rediculous. There is no excessive slipping or anything to overcome. The bike remains the same. Perfect torque, No stalling and this thing slips better than I could with my left hand.

Okay that sounds awesome! So what settings are you running 27 balls with what spring? Could you explain that a little better i cant really tell the difference between the springs. I would like to have a hard hit with plenty of acceleration! :p

Easy answer: The KX engine has good bottom end and an incredible torque spread, so IMHO you'd be nuts to waste it, and NOT let the clutch start working for you in the lowest revs possible. And make sure it does NOT work for you when it's no longer required. So go the low RPM setup for sure. For max benefit the rekluse should auto slip just before or at the initial torque hit. As far as I care, the 06 KX450F hits at 2000 RPM.

As far as the "hard" vs soft "hit", just take your pick. I like soft, because I can roll the throttle open and lay the power down in corners at a rate which my body can keep up with in terms of chassis lean etc. But to be honest it still hits pretty hard if you snap the throttle even half open. So if you feel like you've laid it over too much in a rut, it's not a problem, your right hand still has the power. :p

Okay that sounds good! But how many balls you running with what springs? Any details you could give me would help tremendously im new to this whole rekluse clutch system. Thanks! :ride:

I have an 06 with the low and hard engagement setting, running rotella good mix but then again I ride mostly enduro.

Okay that sounds good! But how many balls you running with what springs?
I don't have my rekluse manual with me. But 99% chance same for me as Mike wrote. Just grab your install manual and look for low and soft in the setup table. Also take note in the manual where Rekluse tell you to check the stock fiber plate wear (you use the stock fibers), and the lever free play. Else it'll not work properly for you.

Okay thanks for your help! How do you like the rekluse? I cant wait to install it! So i want low and soft set up? Will that give me some bark?

I have a Rekluse Pro in my 09 also and will not own another bike without one. I set mine up with the recommended settings and don’t have a reason to try another setting. I may try another setting, but I’m having to much fun to take the time to make the change.

One more question about the install. I notice that the fiber plates on the ends of the clutch pack have different part numbers than the middle fiber plates. Are they thicker/thinner? What's with the different part numbers?

Edit: nevermind, I figured out that they have more fiber pads per plate.

I recently fitted one to my 09 450 and can only say I love it, before I fitted it I had moved up to a 51 sprocket, would a 49 or the standard be better with the recluse,whats the recomendations on rear sprocket for MX use? What is the best ball and spring setting again for MX, I followed the instructions but cant remember what it was, but it did include all the balls and 2 of the 3 springs.

I have a Rekluse Pro in my 09 also and will not own another bike without one. I set mine up with the recommended settings and don’t have a reason to try another setting..
With Rekluse's recom setting (medium RPM), you "waste" the beautiful bottom end output of this engine. Plus you'll often have zero engine braking on decel. You'd also have to have more slip and plate wear, and generally when riding you'll always be "reminded" the rekluse is installed. Disclaimer: the 06 bottom end torque and hit is incredible, and I'm assuming the 09 is comparable since I've not ridden one.

Any 450F mxer should be fine with a low RPM slip setting, except maybe the 06 and 07 YZFs with their flat bottom end output.

I recently fitted one to my 09 450 and can only say I love it, before I fitted it I had moved up to a 51 sprocket, would a 49 or the standard be better with the recluse,whats the recomendations on rear sprocket for MX use? What is the best ball and spring setting again for MX, I followed the instructions but cant remember what it was, but it did include all the balls and 2 of the 3 springs.
Then you are on a hard hit (maybe ok) and a medium or high rpm slip range (IMO not ok at all). If I owned an 09 (or any EFI 450F), then I'm thinking I'd want the EFI system tuned to make the engine as mean and aggressive as possible, then I'd make the rekluse do the usual low rpm slip range and soft hit. Then you can have your cake and eat it. :p

See also http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7762590#post7762590

The set up mike is running is 27 balls lightest spring. In the manual that is low rpm engagement with hard engagement. Is that what you are running or are you running 24 balls with lightest spring? That would be low rpm engagement with soft engagement.

Mine: 24 balls. Soft hit. I find my 06 engine hits way too hard for my liking off the bottom with just a little throttle roll on. I suppose due to the barky cams and light crank. So I want to smooth that out. It helps for sure, although still pretty snappy.