weatherproofing switches?

What's the best way? I considered silicone caulk but while that would work on the seams where the switch splits in half; it wouldn't work on area where the actual switches exit the body of the switch.

My switch has the "gap" that is apparently common in these switches, but considering the other openings I decided it wasn't worth returning it or going to a different brand.

Should I just put a ton of tune-up grease inside it and around the openings?

croppedswitch023.jpg

If you put grease in there it will just collect dirt and that is not good for the switch either. Why do you want to do all this to your switches? My bike has been in the elements for years and the switches have not given me any problems.

You are right to be concerned about that switch, though. I've had 2 of them and they are such crap. Various vendors sell them (I got mine from Baja Designs). Greasing the contacts (inside!) helps them survive water better. I think no matter what you do this switch fails eventually. I also use relays for the lights which seems to help switch life. Next time mine breaks I am going to find some OEM switch to use rather than waste $60 on another one!

Yes, Baja Designs has its highs and its lows. It's a trade off between cost and quality, weight, ect.; I think the owner has said just that in posts I've come across. In my case, I found out I had a bad headlight bulb and then, while diagnosing that, one of the wires pulled out of its crimping point. I also had to disconnect one of their white plastic connectors and ended up destroying it; the plastic is that cheap (I noticed no problems with the OEM connectors on my bike).

The Baja Designs kit is worth the money and is a good starting point, but I think most folks probably improve on it either with initial installation or as time goes on. I definitly will look for a OEM handlebar swith if this one fails.

+1 on the no grease. If greasing anything, just a very small dab on any sliding part of the contacts. Greasing anything plastic on plastic will trap dirt and acelerate wear. A large amount of any grease will just trap dirt and gum up switch action. Trying to seal out water is a bad idea on something like that, unless it has been enginered to be 100% water proof, otherwise if the water gets in it also need to get out as easily or it will cause corrosion. Some OEM switches even have holes/drains on the bottom. Best thing is to clean occasionally.

I have one of those K&S switches on a bike, and they seem to be just as good as quality as some OEM's. Any switch will eventually fail, otherwise there would be no need for a replacement of the origional. One thing I did notice different was the OEM solder joints had a dab of sealer on them to prevent corrosion, which would be easy to do on the K&S one.

I spray all my switches with WD40. Thats what it was made for.

+1

I think it was actually made for missle silos, not bike switches:smirk:, but really whats the difference:banana:

Seriously, WD=water dispersant, good advice.

+1

I think it was actually made for missle silos, not bike switches:smirk:, but really whats the difference:banana:

And it only took them 40 trys to get it right. :p

WD40 is a great product.....BUT NOT FOR SPRAYING on electrical connectors:eek:

read this info....or better yet, do your own google search on wd40 and electrical connectors or something like that

wd40 puts a film on your connector & causes all kinds of problems as time goes on..........DO NOT DO IT..........

http://boatdiesel.com/Forums/Thread.cfm?CFAPP=18&Forum_ID=64&Thread_ID=13969&P=1

+1

that would be missile, not missle:busted:

Darn, sounded like a good idea anyway.

You got me, I don't know much about missiles.

Well, I have been doing it for years. I do blow it out with 120 to 150 PSI from my air compressor after wards though. Maybe that's why I have no problems. Dissipate the water and blow out with air. Oh well, Do not listen to me! Sorry to lead you a stray. Maybe some kind of electrical spray would work better.

Sorry!

I work at a plant that manufactures large switches like you see at sub-stations.

We use oxide inhibitors on pretty much any thing that is going to be in the weather. There are several products out there for this. I would think that using a really thick one would trap grime and dirt-some have the consistency of wheel bearing grease, others are not much thicker than wd-40. Do a search for "oxide inhibitor"

Well, I have been doing it for years. I do blow it out with 120 to 150 PSI from my air compressor after wards though. Maybe that's why I have no problems. Dissipate the water and blow out with air. Oh well, Do not listen to me! Sorry to lead you a stray. Maybe some kind of electrical spray would work better.

Sorry!

no problem.....I used to use it too until the guys on the DRZ400 Forum corrected my bad ways:bonk:

there are good electrical connector sprays out there that contain "the right stuff":thumbsup:

read this info....or better yet, do your own google search on wd40 and electrical connectors or something like that

wd40 puts a film on your connector & causes all kinds of problems as time goes on..........DO NOT DO IT..........

http://boatdiesel.com/Forums/Thread.cfm?CFAPP=18&Forum_ID=64&Thread_ID=13969&P=1

Darn, sounded like a good idea anyway....

......You got me, I don't know much about missiles.

shoot, I only worked as a Minuteman Missile Launch Crew Commander for nearly 5 years in Wyoming, Nebraska, AND Colorado so I outta' know how to spell missile:moon:

I saw some super cool waterproof switches on the forum here but forgot the name.

You remove the backside of the brake or clutch lever mounting to the handlebar and replace it with a new piece which include the switches.

Cool stuff and looks pro!

Someone remember the name of the manufacturer of these?