What part is this? Skinny stator cover??

Long time lurker, first time poster and I have a question for the group. I bought a 2007 DRZ400S last month that had a JB weld fix on the stator cover. The PO provided a brand new replacement cover (no package) that he purchased from the dealer. Well, I bolted everything up and discovered that the replacement cover that he had was not the right one and I have no idea what application this thing is made for. In all proportions, except the height, it is exactly the same as part# 11351-29F60 (the correct part). The correct part is 2.5” deep, but this one is just 1.75” deep. I have since purchased the right part from Bike Bandit and now I need to get rid of this other one, but before I do it would be nice to know what it fits. Any clues? Earlier ‘S’ model? ‘E’ bike? Thought they were the same engines??

That's weird. I thought there were only two types of stator covers - one for the kicker and one for S, SM and E models.

The only odd stator cover is for the kick start only model "DR-Z400". The confusing thing about designations is we all use DRZ400 to mean any of the various DRZ models. But to Suzuki DR-Z400 is the true correct complete designation for the kick start model. So if you go to a dealer and ask for a DRZ400 part that happens to be unique to the kick start model you can see the confusion. It would have been nice if Suzuki called the kick start model DRZ400K but they didn't. When you see "K" in the designatioin, it is a year code For example DR-Z400K1 is a 2001 kick start model. DR-Z400SK1 is a 2001 dual sport model.

I would have to think you have a stator cover for a kick start model. The "kicker" had a smaller out-put alternator.

Perhaps I spoke too soon. You are saying the cover you have, has the starter reduction gear cavity and starter mounting hole? Perhaps a picture would help. Any part number on the packaging or marked or cast on the part?

The difference between the kicker stator cover and e-start model is very obvious though.

Does the cover look like this? (without the powdercoating, of course..)

3291208134_55dd6144e2_o.jpg

Or does it have the cover for the starter clutch as well?

You can see it in the upper left corner in this pic:

FP021-installed.jpg

Dongie

I appreciate your help. Yes, the extra cover I have is for a bike with an e-start, as it has the clutch starter cover as well. Looking dead on, you can not see a difference between the two. If you PM me your email I can send you the photos I took yesterday but cannot yet upload to TT or maybe you could post for me since you have the right accounts?

Thanks again

Groop

You can post 'em. You just need to host 'em at a site like Photobucket first.

Dongie

I appreciate your help. Yes, the extra cover I have is for a bike with an e-start, as it has the clutch starter cover as well. Looking dead on, you can not see a difference between the two. If you PM me your email I can send you the photos I took yesterday but cannot yet upload to TT or maybe you could post for me since you have the right accounts?

Thanks again

Groop

If you manage to do so, post up a link to a few photos. Although I'm not sure if I'll be any help. I've never heard of a cover like that until now. I've always thought all e-start stator covers on the DRZ were the same.

Does it look like it has been machined down?

ltz stator cover.

bingo!

Eddie

I think you're right. I looked at the drawings on BikeBandit and there is certainly a difference between the DRZ and LTZ covers. Thanks for your help guys. Now if I could just figure out which LTZ years this will fit...

Eddie

I think you're right. I looked at the drawings on BikeBandit and there is certainly a difference between the DRZ and LTZ covers. Thanks for your help guys. Now if I could just figure out which LTZ years this will fit...

all....

hate to bump this up, but is it certain that all DRZ400 electric start stator covers are the same? I looked online and some sites said that the cover would fit 2000-2004. I have a 2006 SM but found a stator cover off a 2001 E (electric start). Would that work?

Thanks!

hate to bump this up, but is it certain that all DRZ400 electric start stator covers are the same? I looked online and some sites said that the cover would fit 2000-2004. I have a 2006 SM but found a stator cover off a 2001 E (electric start). Would that work?

Thanks!

yes, all electric start drz400's ude the same cover.

the only difference is color shade. the older ones were a little darker.