Sign in to follow this  

impressed with new flywheel

I posted this over on KTM talk, and i wanted to share here too.

Well I went riding with my 3 boys and my cousin yesterday down the shore.

The track had a mix of terrain,sand(DUH) dirt,gravel and this orange sand kinda of mix.

It performed excellent, I could lug down low and it if I liked and fan it a little and loft the front wheel easily.

I also fattened up the stock jetting to a 185 main/52 pilot with stock needle which did help with power and went to a 52 back sprocket.

I do feel it would have pulled the 50t just as well.

I also tried the 13t counter (not down there) and found I would have to shift to much.

I will try nxt the JD kit and see what happens. I would hope it would be better then the $9 for the pilot/main jets tho..

All in all good day,boys had fun and so did I.

I posted this over on KTM talk, and i wanted to share here too.

Well I went riding with my 3 boys and my cousin yesterday down the shore.

The track had a mix of terrain,sand(DUH) dirt,gravel and this orange sand kinda of mix.

It performed excellent, I could lug down low and it if I liked and fan it a little and loft the front wheel easily.

I also fattened up the stock jetting to a 185 main/52 pilot with stock needle which did help with power and went to a 52 back sprocket.

I do feel it would have pulled the 50t just as well.

I also tried the 13t counter (not down there) and found I would have to shift to much.

You didn't mention anything about the flywheel. Is it heavier or lighter?

I will try nxt the JD kit and see what happens. I would hope it would be better then the $9 for the pilot/main jets tho..

All in all good day,boys had fun and so did I.

You didn't say anything about the flywheel. Is it heavier or lighter?

and what bike? 02 exe? which one?

still didnt say much about it, but in the first post he said he could lug it and fan it( the clutch Im guessing) and loft the wheel. I can do that with the stock FW. So the question is unanswered to me, how is it??

I thought heavier flywheels make it harder to stall, smooth out power delivery, and help with traction

lighter is supposed to make engine response faster

I thought heavier flywheels make it harder to stall, smooth out power delivery, and help with traction

lighter is supposed to make engine response faster

He does mention the flywheel :"could loft the front wheel easier...."

The only time I would "fan" it would be doing 10mph in 3rd gear in a berm and my cousin on my butt. He a much more aggressive rider then I.

It will loft the wheel easily. 1st /2nd just rolling on the gas. 3rd with a little "fan".

It is much more willing to rev. Instead of waiting for it to p/u revs. I like it much better. especially coming off a 2t.

Now riding it both ways, I find this way much more enjoyable. Especially on a track where you need the rev up NOW to clear doubles and such.

Like I said earlier, you can lug it with no clutch if you want in 3rd or even 4th and roll the throttle if you like and it will pull no problem.

Your results may vary.

I asked a question about how a KTm EXC differed mechanically that gave it a slower revving motor than say a Honda 450. Lots of answers, but most were FW, crank mass, head flow. I toy with the idea of a lighter FW like you. Does it still have full lighting capabilty?

I asked a question about how a KTm EXC differed mechanically that gave it a slower revving motor than say a Honda 450. Lots of answers, but most were FW, crank mass, head flow. I toy with the idea of a lighter FW like you. Does it still have full lighting capabilty?

Yep, very simple mod with the flywheel puller. Just lay the bike on it's side, unbolt the shifter,take the stator cover off, screw in the puller and it's off.

Put new fw on and tighten to i think 44lbs. Reverse procedure with cover and shifter.

he's asking if your stator works the same with your lighter flywheel

since the stator uses the magnetic energy from your flywheel, having less mass, means less energy field for your stator the pickup and send to your light.

well, at least that is my understanding of it.

trail tech used to say high energy flywheel for the 450x, now it just says lighting or no lighting

Adding weight:

Adding weight increases inertia, which reduces the bike's tendency to stall at low speeds. In no way is top speed affected - the heavier flywheel just smooths out power delivery. The machine will hook up better in soft terrain, and pull stronger. Riding with a heavier flywheel will reduce arm pump and prolong the onset of fatigue.

Subtracting weight:

Subtracting weight allows the engine to rev faster, which provides a distinct advantage when getting up to full speed quickly is required. Sand, dune and MX riders will generally choose a light weight flywheel. Increases accelleration/snap.

http://trailtech.net/motorcycle_flywheels.html

Yep, very simple mod with the flywheel puller. Just lay the bike on it's side, unbolt the shifter,take the stator cover off, screw in the puller and it's off.

Put new fw on and tighten to i think 44lbs. Reverse procedure with cover and shifter.

I said YEP to the question in my last reply. :p

No problems with lighting or charging. I think the mags are stronger in the TT flywheel. The lights maybe even a little brighter.