KX 85 shifting issue, need help

Hey guys, I'm putting back together an 06 KX 85 for a kid. I didn't do the motor rebuild, I just got the motor and frame from the guy who did do the rebuild, with the intentions of just putting the bike back together and doing bearings etc etc. Any way, I have the motor in but the bike will not click into gear, the lever has spring resistance but has no engagment either up or down. I pull the right side cover so I can see the shift shaft and pins that engage the gears, and as soon as the cover is off it works fine. I put the cover on, it doesnt work, take it off, it does. I searched and saw stuff about the powervalve losing the 5/16 ball bearings and that causing shift issues, but it still has all the ball bearings in it so now I'm frustrated and lost, any ideas?????? Much Appreciated!

Sorry, It's hard to say without seeing it. That's wierd it works with no cover but doesn't with...It's gotta be in the rachet gear.

From what I remember, the cover comes nowhere near interfering, the only thing i can see is the cover might touch (put pressure on) part #92027, so I would recommend taking off the cover, placing pressure inward onto this part and looking for where your mechanism is binding.

On some bikes (my kids kx65) part #13236 fell apart causing it to shift harder, but it was not a complete loss of the shifting function.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By luke8500
      Hi all,
      I have a 2004 Kawasaki kx250 that died suddenly on me the other day. all i can get it to do is backfire every once in awhile. Tested the resistance and everything of the magneto and stator with a multi-meter and all is good.  Coil is new oem Kawasaki the reeds are brand new vforce and the top end and carb have been completely rebuilt.  key on crank is intact and all the timing marks are lined up. I hooked a timing light to it and spun the motor over really fast and found that it is sparking way to late.  The service manual says that it is supposed to fire 14 degrees before TDC but it is sparking way after TDC.  Im thinking its a fried CDI box since its the only thing i wasnt able to check.  Any help would be appreciated
    • By luke8500
      Hi all,
      I have a 2004 kx 250 2 stroke and it wont start.  it only backfires.  I was out riding it one day and came up to a stop so the bike was just idling and it started to try and die so i revved it up a few times then let it die and now it wont start back up.  It only pops or backfires when you kick it.  Its getting good spark and i just put a brand new plug and coil in it. I took the reeds apart and they look like they're brand new.  It was running great before so i dont know what happened.  Im thinking it could be a fuel problem even tho the plug is a little wet if you take it out after a bunch of kicking.  Any help would be greatly appreciated 
    • By Zach121
      Alright, found three bikes all located where i live in Texas. I know they're all very different, but if you could tell me what you think each bike is worth, and which one would be the best deal. Thanks.
      Notes: Both 2 strokes have new top ends. I think the front brake lever is broken on the kawasaki.
      KX250 2002 $800-$1000?

YZ125 2000 $1250

KTM 400SX 2002 $1200

• By Ryan Turner
      So I'm at a bit of a cross roads, I currently own a 06 rm250 and I love it. I also have a 02 kx250 which I'm selling with intent to buy a newer two stroke. I can't afford a newer ktm and the older ones aren't that great and kawasaki never impressed me. so I'm stuck between 06 yz250 and 05 cr250. I've heard the yz and rm after 06 are almost the same bike just the Suzuki handles better and the Yamaha has better suspension. So I'm not sure if I wanna buy carbon copy of my bike with slight differences. That's why I'm interested in a cr250 I heard the 02+ models RC valves are shit garbage but was mostly fixed in the 05-07 models. I ride at a track and at some bogs down the road from me. So from people who have owned both, what would you recommend. I know the cr is known for a hard hitting power band which I enjoy since im an aggressive rider. Should i just see which deal comes my way first.
    • By dirtbikesrule
      If you own a 2 stroke dirtbike,please reply once. Im just wondering how many people on this site have them.