Sign in to follow this  

Craziest crap ever! L@@K!!!

So I went riding yesterday after a two month hiatus due to a hand injury.

Was having one of most awesome riding days ever!

never had so much confidence in my riding and my machine, especially weird after not riding for two months.

Anyway, so I'm riding all day balls out, throttle pinned, trying everything insight. Felt like I could master anything and I was.

Well, this is where it gets weird......

After doing this nasty hill climb up a extremely rutted out trail, I decide to come back down and do it again, but much faster.

So i start up the hill, which has this nice road gap in the middle of the hill, and I'm about 30 feet from the top when the guy in front of me just falls over and lets his bike go. I tried to go around it but going out of the deep rut and onto the side of hill just didn't work. I was pissed I had to drop it because I hadn't fallen all day.

Well, I turn the bike around, jump on and proceed down the hill with the bike off.

I get half way and decide to slip it into gear and bump start it.

It starts as usual, then all of sudden, the starter starts to engage(and no I did not push the button mind you!).

I try to hit the kill button. NOTHING.

I try pull the clutch in. NOTHING.

finally the rear locked up hard.

I went over the bars, down the hill

no big deal........

but then my bike flips over, because the starter is still going inching the bike along.

the bike falls next to me, starter still going.

still I try to hit the kill button. NOTHING. I even pulled the wires out of the starter button. still going.

It finally stopped. I assuming because the starter motor or the relay fried.

rode the the rest of the day just fine.

I hardly ever use the starter and I now I'm going to eliminate it because I definitely don't want that to happen again!

I'm assuming the relay welded itself inside somehow and just provided juice to the starter until it fried or the battery died. I will investigate.

Weird.

Got your pm, sorry to hear about your crash. Sounds like a strange situation. Dont know if you found the link, but here it is if that will help. I havent had any trouble since removing it like this. I will try to answer any questions you may have about it. You know it would be easier to just remove the battery right?

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=668374

I would assume the wires going to the starter got pinched together somewhere during the crash and shorted them out.

the starter switch button on the inside of the housing came apart and grounded itself out on the spring that returns the button to the off position.

crazy.

no more starter for me.

thanks TDW!

• Like 1

Man, should have bought the "R" anyway! :p Just kidding, glad you're ok from that one.

the starter switch button on the inside of the housing came apart and grounded itself out on the spring that returns the button to the off position.

crazy.

no more starter for me.

thanks TDW!

That is crazy - cheap switches. Oh well, at least you can get rid of that heavy battery for a 7-8 pound total reduction (if nothing else).

A 250X without electric start. That's right up there with decaffinated coffee and non-alcoholic beer.

JayC

crazy.

no more starter for me.

thanks TDW!

Its good that you found the cause of the problem, hopefully there is no internal damage done.

When you say "no more starter for me" do you mean you removed it or disabled it by removing the battery. If you remove the starter the starter clutch and idler gear need to be removed also.

I'm actually gonna buy an R just for the track

As for trail riding and motocross tracks here in Nor-Cal.....

I love my green sticker!

I wouldn't want to be riding strictly closed course tracks from may to october. I can't afford that. Especially not at $25-$30 everytime I wanna ride.

I never bought the X for the electric start. that was just kind of a freebie. I never use it.

I've also ridden R's off road and my X will dominate them through the woods and technical stuff. My X still holds it's own on the MX tracks also.

I'm actually gonna buy an R just for the track

As for trail riding and motocross tracks here in Nor-Cal.....

I love my green sticker!

I wouldn't want to be riding strictly closed course tracks from may to october. I can't afford that. Especially not at $25-$30 everytime I wanna ride.

I never bought the X for the electric start. that was just kind of a freebie. I never use it.

I've also ridden R's off road and my X will dominate them through the woods and technical stuff. My X still holds it's own on the MX tracks also.

Where in Nor Cal are you buddy? If you ever ride CC camp or Penny Pines stop by my little moto shop in Upper Lake, right on main st. With my red sticker I can ride around here all year around. There are no restrictions over this way, so check us out in the summer if you have friends with a red sticker. Good camping and super sick trail riding. :p

I'm out of the Bay Area

I ridden Pipi and cow mountain but the upper lakes has eluded me for sometime now

I should be up there this spring though, no more excuses!

I'll look you up when we plan something:ride:

I'm out of the Bay Area

I ridden Pipi and cow mountain but the upper lakes has eluded me for sometime now

I should be up there this spring though, no more excuses!

I'll look you up when we plan something:ride:

Upper Lake is the town that you drive through to get to P.P.!!!! Instead of turning down the road by the pizza joint go one street further, Main St., and check us out. We're right in between the 2 weed shops in town:smirk: You have been to Upper Lake, you just don't know it! :ride::p

sweet I love that terrain up there!

the harder the better!

Yeah, trail 1A right off the bat going up will open your eyes fast! Stop by!:p

oh yeah

Honda starter switch-$30

Helix starter switch-$25

hmmmmmmm

can't go wrong with the aftermarket I guess since the Honda one is so cheaply made.

Yup, alot of aftermarket stuff is better and cheaper than OEM.

well after picking up the Helix switch.....

it was not better than the oem

same or a little cheaper as far as quality goes.....

they both suck!

Helix and Emigo both make pretty cheesy stuff. Too bad. Maybe check with Trail Tech, see if they can help. Those guys build all their stuff in house in the USA. Everything I have got from them has been really nice.