Sign in to follow this  

I Cracked My Case!!!

i just went riding yesterday and my chain popped off and broke right through my "case saver" (if thats what you wanna call it). i snapped the case saver mounts right off and broke a hole in the inside lh case. right where the clutch cable attaches to that arm. i know i have a lot of work ahead of me to replace it. does anyone know if there is an easy way to replace it? im assuming i have to take the entire motor apart to split the cases. also does anybody know how much that lk cover costs?

I had that happen to my cr250... high temp silicon sealant did the job, depends how bad it is... Do you have pics? How fast were you going when it snapped?

Obviously you should replace the case, but if you can get away with a patch job, well whynot ?

I had an interesting conversation with the guys at TM Designworks about case savers. What they indicated is that the plastic case saver is much more likely to save your case. Partly because the plastic allows the chain to slip by, and partly because the plastic has some give and will absorb the energy of the chain better. They stated that using aluminum or steel case savers, all you are really doing is transferring the energy to the two bolts that hold them on, and in a situation where you are throwing a lot of energy from the chain, when it snaps, it just throws that metal case saver right into the case.

I was convinced enough to go with the plastic part instead of anodized aluminum like I have always run in the past. It might all be assumption and BS, but it made enough sense to me that I changed my ways.

I have the TM plastic case saver. Does it work? I can't say yet. But I also based my purcahse on the premise that the plasitc will transfer less energy to the case than steel or aluminum.

..don't know about you guys... but i'd rather have an aluminum case saver on than a plastic one.. i've never thrown a chain with a plastic case saver on... but i have with an aluminum one on.. and the hammerhead works.. the OP had a plastic OEM one on.. (probably with the back up metal piece behind it still on)

..i'm sticking with a metal one..YMMV...

FYI i did the same thing on a DRZ400. Chain came forward and cracked the crankcase and had oil coming out. Took it home, used some JB Weld and has held up since. Cost me about $5 for the repair. I dumped the oil after the fix just in case and replaced with some new.

Sooner or later I'll replace the crankcase but this is a good fix

FYI i did the same thing on a DRZ400. Chain came forward and cracked the crankcase and had oil coming out. Took it home, used some JB Weld and has held up since. Cost me about $5 for the repaid. I dumped the oil after the fix just in case and replaced with some new.

Sooner or later I'll replace the crankcase but this is a good fix[/QUOTe

That or replace the case ?

I know what id being doing!

JB Weld seems to be the way to go, a lot of people have used it on various case issues, with a low percentage of issues... The biggest being that the patch let go and the oil drained out.... This is in a much more visible place so you should be good to go.

That or replace the case ?

I know what id being doing!

if you do the patch correctly JB weld will hold up very well. I consider it a long term fix but will be replacing the case at another date because of other reasons.

Make sure you clean the area very well before using the JB weld but the stuff is liquid steel. It will work. FYI... JB weld <$10. Case is approximate $150

If your talking about the left center case that's the bottom half of the motor full retail is 290.00

And dont forget they are matched sets so you gotta buy em both! or your gonna be fixing it again.