Anybody ever done this.

Got new tires for my xrl yesterday. Dunlop 756 knobbies.(dirt use only). I have excel rims on there. Well when we were putting on the rear tire. We broke the metal belts. HMMMMMMMMMM! So i am hoping they will let me return it.. Has anybody else done this. Also My buddy had a 140/80 sitting around so we threw that on there. It is rubbing my chain guard. So should i get a smaller tire or get rid of the guard. This is going to be my off road set up. Any Opinions would be great. Thanks fellas

You broke the steel belts inside the bead of the tire? Wow, I have seen them get deformed but not broken.

maybe some soapy water and good levers? I've never heard of this happening, i've deformed mountain bike rims before snapping wire beads on downhill tires...

Geez! you guys must have really been wrenching on the tire!!

If you feel you want to keep it then get a smaller tire. A larger tire just gives you a bigger footprint and more floatation in loose stuff right? I guess it would b your preference and the terrain you ride in

yeah my buddy has the whole tire changing set up. The stand and quality tools. Used tire lube and all. It was definitley snug. But it should have went on the rim before the steel popped out of it.

I had a tire that my father had given me, took it to the local bike shop to have mounted on my CR500. The owner/operator of the shop looks at the tire and says hasen't sold one of these in 20 years. It mounted ok but the tube got pinched so we had to pull it off thats when it got ugly and the belts tore out of the side wall. How cold was it when you tried to mount the tire?

Those Excel rims are tough since the drop section is a good bit smaller than the stock rims. They probably won't let you return it, just gotta be more careful to keep it in the drop on the opposite while spooning on that last bit of tire.

It was cold. I took the tire back and the guy said he would email Dunlop. We will see. Drop or no Drop. A samll man should not be able to bust the bels unlesss he has some serious leverage. Like a big ole spud bar

I'm not trying to hijack the thread... but anyone got a copy of the "how to change a tire" video DIRTBIKE magazine was selling about 15 years ago?

what is their "secret" they wanted us to spend $20 to learn?

I have "almost" done this.... but it was on a KX85 .. I think a 14" rim.... those little buggers can be..... "difficult".

Theirs no secret. Just make sure the beads broken on both sides of the wheel and the tire is pushed down away from the edges on both sides and all around the tyre apart from where you are applying the tyre irons. Some tyres are a tighter fit than others..Must be a manufacturing fault or a different composition of rubber they're using these days. Actually a few (3 or 4) smallish rubber doorstop type wedges per side of the wheel would be kinda ideal at holding the tyres bead in and away from the edge of the rim on both sides while you apply the irons for the final push or for the initial push...I'll have to get some as it's not always easy to make sure the opposite side is in far enough in to allow for easy installation as you are only one man with 2 arms.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread... but anyone got a copy of the "how to change a tire" video DIRTBIKE magazine was selling about 15 years ago?

I have "almost" done this.... but it was on a KX85 .. I think a 14" rim.... those little buggers can be..... "difficult".

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,450.0.html

you cant break ALL of the belts!!! no way!! when iwas a teenager and stupid i tried to cut a tire off LOL there like 20 strands of wire in there and i can not see breaking them all.

here is a good video. I think there is another part shoould be on the same page..