new to 2 smokers...2003 rm 250 questions?

hey hey,

I just picked up a cherry 2003 RM 250

pre mix:

the seller said he mixed gas at 50 to 1 (denver is 5,280 ft altitude)

the book says 30 to 1

I've seen lots of posts that say 32 to 1

I dont know what the current jetting is (I'm assuming its stock)

I'm in Denver and ride in the high country (6,000 ft +) will this make a difference on getting the mix right?

the bike seems to stumble down low (left over gas from purchse) but runs great once she gets moving, scary fast really, I'm coming from a DR-Z250

radiator coolant:

what should I be using here

do I top it all the way up?

gear oil:

I hear a lot of guys are using Rotella - T 15w 40 in their gear boxes

what does the spec say should be run?

isnt gear oil supposed to 80/90w ?

thanks,

Welcome and congrats on your purchase!

Premix: use a decent oil and go with what the book says to start. Experiment with ratios after you get used to it.

Did the bike come from a different altitude? A good rule of thumb is to pull the carb; make note of the jets, needle and clip position; and use this as your baseline for making changes. There's a good jetting thread on the FAQ page (front page of this forum) that can help you get the stumble squared away.

I run 50/50 in my radiator. You can fill it all the way to the top; if it's too much it will puke the excess.

Gear oil: don't go there! ? Just kidding. Rotella works fine (that's what I use.) The book will specify something like 10w-40. Use whatever makes you feel good, just change it often.

thanks

nope similar altitude but I plan to ride higher than the seller, he is more of a track guy than a mountain trails guys

50/50 is a coolant brand?

cool I have some rotella-T right now

yeah I dont have "the book" yet, need to get on that

thanks again

UA is right! I don't agree with the rotella though, but to each his own. LOL!

If your looking for cheap oil that works well, Pennzoil 10w40 is a good one.

I run 32:1 which is close enough to 30:1 for me. Use a good high quality premix oil and you will have no problems.

Welcome to the Zook forum and good luck!

?

nice - thanks guys

just changed the oil (it was filthy), ran it around the block a few times and changed it again.

looked at the airfilter - filthy - might be original - at least its nice and sealed up.

what do you guys like for airfilters?

ever try those pre oiled and disposable types?

does K&N make a 2 smoker air filter?

I've got a jet kit, 52 tooth sprocket and 10oz flywheel weight coming in the mail already...stoked! to get her up into the mountains!

what a freakin nice light a$$ bike!

Use a two-stage Uni or Twin Air filter. They're the best at filtering and flowing a lot of air. I like the Twin Air oil, too. It's messy, so wear disposable gloves.

What size countershaft sprocket do you have on there? That 52 is going to turn it into a wheelie monster. ?

the stock 13 tooth front right now

its got a 50 tooth renthal on the rear now, is that stock?

I am not a fast rider and dunno if I want to be, but I do like the tech trails

I just have my first season of trail riding under my belt on a 2001 DR-Z250, which I geared to 13/52 so I could lug around in 2nd and 3rd gears

I believe either a 49 or 50 is the stock rear sprocket. I bet the PO put the Renthal on. A 52 will really wake it up, so be careful.

If you want to tame the power hit a little, try adjusting the exhaust valve. There's a knob on the left of the cylinder with a retainer held by two bolts. Loosen the bolts a little and turn the knob clockwise. This will tighten the spring that controls the exhaust valves, making them open later for more torque. Just turn it a quarter turn at a time. Too much will damage the spring.

If you don't have a manual for it, get one. It will tell you how to do everything you'll want to do.

I believe either a 49 or 50 is the stock rear sprocket. I bet the PO put the Renthal on. A 52 will really wake it up, so be careful.

If you want to tame the power hit a little, try adjusting the exhaust valve. There's a knob on the left of the cylinder with a retainer held by two bolts. Loosen the bolts a little and turn the knob clockwise. This will tighten the spring that controls the exhaust valves, making them open later for more torque. Just turn it a quarter turn at a time. Too much will damage the spring.

If you don't have a manual for it, get one. It will tell you how to do everything you'll want to do.

Sorry but the '03 model doesn't have the adjustable powervalve.

Just buy a shop manual from suzuki. The owner's manual IS a shop manual, and it is really cheap. I think mine (for an 04) was like $13 or so. As for premix, run 32:1. Yamalube 2r is cheap and works well. For gear oil you can use any 10w40, but change it often. I also recommend PC racing filter skins. They will save you a ton of work. If you put on a clean (oiled) skin before every ride, you can go months without actually having to clean the filter. They skins are really easy to clean and re-oil. I kid you not--I have never had any dust/dirt in my intake tract, and I go 2-3 months (riding on weekends) before I clean a filter.

cool thanks

I downloaded a pirated manual for $5.95 from here:

http://store.payloadz.com/str-asp-i.153877-n.Suzuki_RM250_2003_Service_Repair_Manual_eBooks_-end-detail.html

a little tricky to get it to print right (little fuzzy) but for $6 I'm not complaining

I see the exhaust valve diagram...will check that out

book says stock 50 tooth rear sprocket