Diff between XR 650R and L??

Hi okes

I have never been on the XR page and now I am sorry.WOW.

Looked at the pics of your scooters and wow again some stunnin machines.

I race a Yz 450 and lovemy bike I however got married a while back and want to get a DS bike. My Yz is not good for that so I need something else.

My dad has a Gs1200 and so does my father inlaw. I ride both bikes with their permision and me and the wife love traveling away for weekend getaways.

However because I am always borrowing their bikes they can never join us.

My budget is far from the big BMW's and in fact I don't like them that much.

I have always loved big enduro bikes(Scott Summers is to blame) andwould love to get hold of a good Xr and get it street legal for me and the wife.

Now my XR knowledge is shocking and they stopped importing them to my country about 3 years back. However some grey imports still come in.

The R is the model without lindicators horn etc and the L is ???????

How difficult is it to make an R roadworthy and can you go 2 up on them incl. luggage bags?

Thanks

The R would be a better choice for more offroad stuff, but can be converted with lights, and mirrors.

Not sure of the laws there, but I assume they are easier on this type of conversion.

The R would be my choice to plate if I could do it again.

they are 2 completely different bikes. the L is an aircooled bike the R is water cooled. the L is a street legal from the crate bike, metal tank, blinkers mirrors, super soft suspension and dual sport tires.

the way i would describe their differences the R is the corvette and the L is the mini van. your going to be alot more $$$ into the R to make it a good street cruiser. but you will have alot more $$$ into the L to make it a good desert cruiser. so decide what you are after and go R for mostly dirt or L for mostly street.

:ride: The difference is 20 years of development and a gentler outlook.:p

You can be happy riding a L, You cant wipe the big azz grin off your face when you got an R

Also depends where it's imported from.

Australian XR's have lights, blinkers, horn etc. Think UK is the same.

Our unfortunate cousins in the US have a harder time with road legalities but I don't think that includes all states.

Stick with the R.:p

BAIE DANKIE!!!!!

No I am not swearing means thank you in Afrikaans my language.

We get the same spec as europe and Aus on our japanese bikes and we get KTM and BMW specific for Africa.

However Most of our imports are from japanese dealers or american so I believe we get the non blinker model.

Thanks for the input guys I have to say the R it is I have an TT600 air colled so the L won't replace that then.

I can get an Xr650 for R40000 which is about $4000 which is cheap here as anew Yz450 is about R72000 which is $7200.

It has big Acerbis tank and rear tail 8l tank and dakat fairing and IGO and roadmap roller. needs blinkers and foot rest. Who makes the footrests I C on the R? Can you convert some of a streetbike?:p

the stock footpegs need to me modded, speaking of pegs. theres probably a post about it on here somewhere.....

I made mine wider by welding a cleated piece to the back of it,helps me get the weight back when it's OH OH time.

Hey Tau, hoe gaan dit?

Ek het 'n L want hy is air cooled en as ek lekker in die bos wil ry en val, ek worry nie wir die radiator wat water can lek. My Afrikaans is baie bad ne? Ek woon in Texas nou vir 15 jaar en het alles (afrikaans)vergeet. Ek sal met die L gaan want daar is baie meer parts wat jy can kry. Die R is oor.

Tot Siens Derek

The biggest difference between R and L models is that the R rider's spend more time discussing how superior the R model is than riding the bike.

:p

-Scott

The biggest difference between R and L models is that the R rider's spend more time discussing how superior the R model is than riding the bike.

:ride:

-Scott

+1 :p

They are both excellent bikes. It just happens to be that the L is basically a tuned down 600 with larger displacement and is street legal , and the R is a fine tuned race machine

Derekj hallo en lekker om van jou te hoor. Texas een helse klomp hoede en boots lekkker lekker soos 'n kracker!

<a  href=th_71661_DSC04817_122_537lo.jpg' alt='th

This is the bike I hoped of getting unfortunately it got sold:foul:

Sorry for your loss

That bike looks ready to do the Dakar rally!!

I have the 650 R.... Love it!!!! I also have the Baja Designs kit on it to convert it to street legal. I also put oversized pegs on it and jetted it. done!!! I have been riding it this way for several years and I am so glad I got the R instead of the L.

:moon:

-Scott

Whatever you say Bubba.:ride: I ride the sht out of mine....:p

Merely stirring the pot:)

:moon:

Whatever you say Bubba.:ride: I ride the sht out of mine....:p

You race?

You want the XRR...........the L will not satisfy your need for speed......:p

I have the 650 R.... Love it!!!! I also have the Baja Designs kit on it to convert it to street legal. I also put oversized pegs on it and jetted it. done!!! I have been riding it this way for several years and I am so glad I got the R instead of the L.

Mike on 650R's can ya still put on a light kit and get a plate & tags from DMV in California ?

jonycat?