Sign in to follow this  

Yet Another Spoke Torque Wrench Question

Ok, I suffered through un-freezing and replacing lots of spoke nipples and spokes on my 06. Just got a new 08 leftover and purchased some Pro-Wheel stainless steel spokes and nipples so I dont have to deal with the monterey jack cheeze nipples supplied by Honda.

Since I am less than mechanically proficient I am going to buy a spoke torque wrench. Looks like the EXCEL is the best choice (will have to buy a 6.9 mm head).

Does anyone recommend this brand or any other????

Also, water proof grease, or never-sleaze on the threads????

thanks youse guys

I own the Excel torque wrench, and it has been great for me. It is the type of torque wrench that "clicks" when it gets to a specific setting, and has really helped me not only keep my spokes properly tightened, but I think it has also prevented me from bending wheels due to overtightening. Hope this helps.

I own the Excel torque wrench, and it has been great for me. It is the type of torque wrench that "clicks" when it gets to a specific setting, and has really helped me not only keep my spokes properly tightened, but I think it has also prevented me from bending wheels due to overtightening. Hope this helps.

+1, I have the same one and dig it.

I have the other nonadjustable brand and like it as well...to a point. It does what its supposed to do, but it does not do much.

Its totally possible to have a perfectly tensioned wheel that rolls like a potato chip. really, thats not the tools fault. neither is the fact that the torque readings only work on a wheel in good shape. Once the nipples corrode, the readings are off.

Id did teach me why I had so much trouble with new oem wheels. The spokes were about 1.5 turns loose from the factory. Once I tensioned them to this point, they never came loose again. I suppose that in itself was worth the 100.00 I paid.

I have the other nonadjustable brand and like it as well...to a point. It does what its supposed to do, but it does not do much.

There is a non-adjustable spoke torque wrench?

Yes RCannon is right. You need to true the wheel first then go a little at a time to torque it down. It takes time to true a wheel, its not a fast process. I have been trying to true my rear wheel but spokes are to bent and rim is not great so I just got a new Warp9 wheel.