Do you loan out your trailer?

I was wondering how other people feel about loaning out their trailer and if they do it.

A friend wants to borrow my practically brand new Zieman 5x8 that cost ~$1000. I've loaned the same trailer to him a couple years ago (I sold it and recently bought another one) on several occasions. I never felt 100% comfortable doing it but I have a hard time saying no. I feel uneasy about it because his financial situation is poor. He has CC debt and a couple weeks ago he called me in an overwhelmed manner because he had a $2200 car repair bill that went straight to the CC. He even told me the new sprockets and chains he bought went on his CC.

The probability of something happening is low but I still feel uncomfortable about it.

I'm leaning towards saying no. Should I say why? Or just say I no longer feel comfortable doing it?

I wouldn't mind loaning mine out but after hearing about your friend I wouldn't loan it out to him. No offense but if he can't handle his money I sure wouldn't expect to get paid back by him if something did happen. There are cheap trailers all over the place so if it is important enough to him I'm sure he could find one.

Nothing wrong at all with saying no or some white lie.......its your property.

I borrowed trailer from friend before, and I made sure he got a dinner or beer for his generosity.

Still its an inexpensive trailer, not your one yr old 4x4 pickup he wants to use off road.......but it could escalate with time.

Some people just try and sponge off any and all they know.......I could name a few in-laws here.

BB

p.s. now come to think of it I did loan my hitch carrier to neighbor and someone hit it! But I liked my neighbor so much

I just straightened it out myself with oxy/propane torch set I have.

I don't know what your situation financially is, but: You are the one responsible! Anytime you loan a vehicle of any kind, you are more responsible than the person you loaned it to. It makes the lawyers smile,because now they can sue more than one party if anything happens. Double the profit for them. Do you feel comfortable allowing someone to do what they will with your liability, without your being there? So you have no control over what they do, can't even witness it. But you are totally responsible based on giving them your permission. If something happens, YOU will be sued! You will need to defend yourself in court. You MIGHT win, maybe. But it will cost you many thousands of $$$$$$$ and many sleepness nights. The worst is someone could be killed, and you could be financially ruined for LIFE! I suggest you offer him $20 to rent a u-haul in his name. Make it a cash 20 dollar bill. Cheap insurance.

For me it would depend on how good a friend he is. If it's just someone you hang out with once in a while there's no harm in saying no if you don't feel comfortable with him using it.

I have a few really close friends that I know all my life. We share stuff without a second though including trucks, bikes, etc.

I have given up on lending my trailer out. I would lend out my old trailer to friends and it would always come back with some kind of scratch or something. I didn't really care since the trailer wasn't brand new and I got it for pretty cheap. Plus I had a friend try and fix one of my mounting hooks and he just did a horrible job, it was all crooked had like two extra holes... I don't lend out my new trailer just to avoid the headache.

I was storing my flat bed trailer at a friends house and told him he could use it, when I picked it up it had a broken light. Now he owns his own trailer and understands why I got mad.

Look at how the person barrowing the trailer treats his own stuff.

If the trailer gets damaged and he does not pay for it will you be mad?will you loose a friend

I'm not comfortable with loaning my stuff out. Suggest to your friend that he should pick up a Harbor Freight - "Fold up trailer", very inexpensive, and tucks away nicely in the garage. For less than $400 he has his own.

Keep one thing in mind, the vehicle's insurance and driver are responsible for what ever is behind them. If the vehicle is in your name then you may get sued. If the vehicle is owned by someone else and towing your trailer then it would be pretty difficult to go after the trailer owner.

If you have a good friend that you "trust", has nothing to do with him putting a chain and sprocket on a cc, loan him your $1000 trailer, if he is

not a good friend don't.

I have three trailers, 2 of them are flat beds and one decked out enclosed. The flat beds have been loaned out many times, the enclosed I won't loan out only because it is all decked out bed and all and it is not as simple as sweeping it off.

Just my .02

And you say he is your friend an he has borrowed before, no mention of previous problems ?????

And he has a cc to buy a tail light if he knocks one out................

last time i loaned my old one out it came back with fried wheel bearings !?!?!?! another time a busted taillight. My new trailer has been whored out a bit but surprisingly came back just fine...

Valid point about how someone treats there own stuff,

I'm not comfortable with loaning my stuff out. Suggest to your friend that he should pick up a Harbor Freight - "Fold up trailer", very inexpensive, and tucks away nicely in the garage. For less than $400 he has his own.

Yep, this is what I bought since I live in a townhouse and don't really like having a trailer sitting in my driveway.

:p

I don't know what your situation financially is, but: You are the one responsible! Anytime you loan a vehicle of any kind, you are more responsible than the person you loaned it to. It makes the lawyers smile,because now they can sue more than one party if anything happens. Double the profit for them. Do you feel comfortable allowing someone to do what they will with your liability, without your being there? So you have no control over what they do, can't even witness it. But you are totally responsible based on giving them your permission. If something happens, YOU will be sued! You will need to defend yourself in court. You MIGHT win, maybe. But it will cost you many thousands of $$$$$$$ and many sleepness nights. The worst is someone could be killed, and you could be financially ruined for LIFE! I suggest you offer him $20 to rent a u-haul in his name. Make it a cash 20 dollar bill. Cheap insurance.

+1 on this idea. Sounds fair to me. Just make up some excuse and mention u-haul or if hes in debt that badly give him a 20 to do so.

People moving will always want to borrow it. I use mine for storage and its so full of race gear, we use it all the time, no one ever asks to borrow it. If its a little trailer, not an enclosed, I do have one of those and do loan it to my good friends. Never had an issue. But all my buddies would never bring it back damaged without offering to have it repaired.

I wouldnt mind lending out a little 5x8 open deck cheap trailer, but a nice enclosed would probably not be loaned out unless they are close like family, but I probably wouldnt even let some of my family use an enclosed trailer of mine.

-mt-

I have given up on lending my trailer out. I would lend out my old trailer to friends and it would always come back with some kind of scratch or something. I didn't really care since the trailer wasn't brand new and I got it for pretty cheap. Plus I had a friend try and fix one of my mounting hooks and he just did a horrible job, it was all crooked had like two extra holes... I don't lend out my new trailer just to avoid the headache.

I came up with the perfect way to prevent my trailer from being borrowed out....I cut the 2" ball hitch off and installed a pintle hitch, then changed the wiring over to a 7 way round pin semi truck style wiring connector.....now only my truck can pull it (and not even my father bothers asking to borrow my truck).:p

Also makes it damn hard to steal it.

I ended up telling him no because I don't feel comfortable because of liability reasons.

I never had issues when I loaned him my trailer on several occasions a couple years ago but at the time I didn't know how bad he was with money. When it comes to loaning out things, I don't trust people without any money and CC debt, even if they're a riding buddy/friend. I was just curious how other people feel, especially when poor money situations come into play.

I ended up telling him no because I don't feel comfortable because of liability reasons...

That is a good point. If it came unhooked, or some of the payload was to fall out, the shark lawyers would go after his insurance, then when it was sucked dry, then come after the trailers owner. We all have to consider the "shark lawyer" angle anymore.

I ended up telling him no because I don't feel comfortable because of liability reasons.

I never had issues when I loaned him my trailer on several occasions a couple years ago but at the time I didn't know how bad he was with money. When it comes to loaning out things, I don't trust people without any money and CC debt, even if they're a riding buddy/friend. I was just curious how other people feel, especially when poor money situations come into play.

In the economic situation you described, he really has no business owning bikes, much less going riding....sounds like he's so broke he isn't even aware of it.

my neighbors have borrowed my moto trailer, one i trust and the other is one of those guys who's super anal about his shi$ and really don't care if your stuff gets trashed. the good neighbor borrowed my wifes lexus the other day and it was no big deal as i know he will treat it respectfully and handle it if something happens.

In the economic situation you described, he really has no business owning bikes, much less going riding....sounds like he's so broke he isn't even aware of it.

Owning? He borrows the ATV he rides, too. :p Luckily I don't ride with him all that often and can do track alone.