Sign in to follow this  

More from Mattawa - 2-28-2009 report w/pics

Last week Big Steve called me and asked if I were interested in meeting him and Ranger John at Saddle Mtn. for a ride. I told him I had planned on being there and would be glad to hook up with them for a ride. We met at the restaurant in Vantage for breakfast our wealthy Ranger friend John paid for our breakfast. I'm not sure when we arrived at Saddle Mtn. but we were riding by 11:00 a.m..

We had not even unloaded our trucks and Jerry pulled in and I asked him if he wanted to ride with us. He did and before long two other riders who have been following our posts on Saddle Mtn. asked if they could join us too (hey guys when you post something remind me of your names). So now we had a perfect crew of 6 riders. The soil was moist from last weeks heavy rains and traction was at a premium with no dust. We did all four legal ravines, the trenches and visited the Cabin with a bit of road and cross country riding tossed in for good measure. I had a blast riding with the crew and I think everyone else enjoyed themselves too.

I only took a few pictures but so did a few of the other guys which I hope they post in this thread sometime this week.

We started out riding up the ravine just west of the trucks. It is always a good one to warm your bones of a chilly morning. Big Steve and Jerry dealt with the first obstacle perfectly.

Big Steve:

483062819_KCuGw-X3.jpg

483062579_hiGf3-X3.jpg

Jerry:

483062555_Pjkrw-X3.jpg

483063447_cLGGd-X3.jpg

Next we have John (I'm sorry for what I am about to do John but the Devil made me do it):

John choosing his line:

483063458_tYo2W-X3.jpg

Woops John lost his forward mementum:

483063799_rg8C3-X3.jpg

Whats this? Ranger down call up the medics:

483065273_WKG2C-X3.jpg

Finally got it righted and with considerable effort and pushing made it to the top:

483064427_zRG7z-X3.jpg

John was heated up for the rest of the day. We worked our way over to the farthest west ravine and continued to warm our bones on technical riding. I didn't take any more pics of the riding.

We decided to go to the cabin since several of the riders had never been there. The cabin was nice for a break from the cold wind, which we never noticed unless we stopped. Inside the cabin John took some of his layers off and ate a snack while we chatted.

483065253_v7cGR-X3.jpg

Here are a couple pics from inside the cabin looking out. The first one is from the side window next to the front door and the second is looking through the glass of the front door.

483065147_XEdjh-X3.jpg

483065864_oKMJz-X3.jpg

We went back outside and everyone was talking as we got ready to leave:

483066270_DkRqx-X3.jpg

Some one pointed out a hang glider floating in the wind currents right above us. He was pretty high up and wasn't very big from the ground. I decided this would be a great opportunity to use my mega zoom lens on my camera. They turned out pretty decent for hand held shots while zoomed.

483065838_UYVUi-X3.jpg

483065804_qRyXM-X3.jpg

Those are all the pics I took of the day but I'm sure as the other guys get their pics downloaded we will get some good stuff. :p

The other two riders were myself (Eric) and Dean. Thanks for leading the expedition. Sorry we didn't get to say good-bye and thanks but do to loss of tranny oil by Dean we had to head back to the truck. He made it without any permanent damge to the bike (hopefully). Hope to see you out there again or maybe Taneum later in the year.

Great pics! You always have a way to capture the action:lol: The hang glider shots were impressive but made me cold looking at him way up there.

I just got back from Mattawa this evening and conditions were great. No rain all day until we were having Mexican on the way out. It was my fist time riding there and my roommates first ever trail ride. Here is a vid with some pics mixed in.:p

Great pics! You always have a way to capture the action:lol: The hang glider shots were impressive but made me cold looking at him way up there.

I just got back from Mattawa this evening and conditions were great. No rain all day until we were having Mexican on the way out. It was my fist time riding there and my roommates first ever trail ride. Here is a vid with some pics mixed in.:p

Nice video. Was that a KLX400 dual sport (aka:Suzuki DRZ400) or KLR250?

I think I saw you on the KLX...was your friend riding a honda? The first time back to the staging area for a short breather, you guys were the only ones there (I had black chevy) and the second time, holy cow...dozen cars/trucks.

I agree, yesterday's condition were great! Managed 40 miles in 3 hrs there until my friend cried uncle as his hands were toast.

Nice video. Was that a KLX400 dual sport (aka:Suzuki DRZ400) or KLR250?

My roomy was on the KLX 250. He was pretty cramped and had a really hard time shifting with his new size 13 boots:smirk:. I was on the Honda couldn't tell who anybody else was cause all you ktm'rs look alike:p I too was suprised at the number of vehicles later in the day. There was still room o plenty for everybody. What a fun area for play riding.:p

I figured that he (KLX) was the "newbie" and that the guy on the Honda had a just a wee bit more experience...nice riding by the way...you made that rocky section look easy!

I figured that he (KLX) was the "newbie" and that the guy on the Honda had a just a wee bit more experience...nice riding by the way...you made that rocky section look easy!

Thanks, it felt good to be back in the saddle.

Later in the day I noticed a pinhole leak in my left radiator:busted: . I guess my carcassing into the trees at Reiter hurt my little girl also. I headed back to the staging area and my temp strip read 204 pushing the 215 color. Hopefully my baby is OK.

Just in case anyone is interested. Conditions at Mattawa will continue to be prime. We have had some really good rain this week already. The projected forecast is clearing on Friday and Saturday. Look foreward to great traction and no dust.

Just in case anyone is interested. Conditions at Mattawa will continue to be prime. We have had some really good rain this week already. The projected forecast is clearing on Friday and Saturday. Look foreward to great traction and no dust.

oh the pain...why must you tease?