How to ride a 2 stroke?

I just purchased my first 2 stroke (2000 KDX 220R.. havent got it home yet!) and I wanted to get some information about 2 stroke "technique." I have been riding four strokes for a little while, but I have always heard that 2 strokes require a different approach. One example would be the lack of engine braking.. I dont mind using the brakes, but mechanically speaking are there times when other techniques should be used on a 2 stroke as opposed to just using more brakes instead of engine? What about lubrication issues? I am not asking about mechanical/maintenance stuff, but rather specific riding techniques. I figured it would be good to make use of this time while I wait for her to arrive ?

Oh, I have ridden a 2 stroke 1 time.. I stalled it all over the place, and it never felt right. I have a feeling thats just because I didnt know what I was doing. I didnt last 2 laps!

The kdx will feel similar to a fourstroke in the sense of actually producing power and lugging more easily as compared to a 2 stroke race bike. the biggest differences for me are downshifting at places where it wouldnt be neccesary on a four stroke, and as you mentioned, using the brakes more due to a lack of engine braking

i have a 2000 KDX 200 and it definatley likes the power band....if your just putting around and not riding in the powerband most of the time, it will foul plugs left and right. i actually carry 2 or 3 plugs with me when i ride...iv talked with many other KDXer's and most say the same about fouling plugs...and definatley make sure your mixture is right..the normal KDX ratio is 32:1...i havent had any lubrication issues to speak of.

i have a 2000 KDX 200 and it definatley likes the power band....if your just putting around and not riding in the powerband most of the time, it will foul plugs left and right. i actually carry 2 or 3 plugs with me when i ride...iv talked with many other KDXer's and most say the same about fouling plugs...and definatley make sure your mixture is right..the normal KDX ratio is 32:1...i havent had any lubrication issues to speak of.

If your fouling plugs "right and left", your jetting is way off. I lug mine, rev it, whatever, havn't fouled a plug in the 3 rides (totaling about 60 miles) I've did since I got the bike.

I always carry a spare plug, but haven't needed it yet.

KDX 200 takes no special technique to ride. They have plenty of low end power with just a little bit of a "hit" in the mid range in stock form. The afore mentioned lack of engine braking is about the only difference from a 4 stroke other than a 2 stroke will start a lot easier when hot and are much easier and cheaper to maintain. Pre-mix and ride, can't go wrong.?

I have to agree w/ Olhillbilly. You should not have any problems w/ plugs if you're jetted right. I've been following my son (crf70f) around in the woods on an eleven mile single track loop since Christmas. Haven't been out of second gear or seen the powerband in two months and have not fouled a plug yet. Setup on my 05 200 is 42pj, 152mj, clip 3rd, a/s 1 3/4, airbox lid removed, woods pipe/pc 2 silencer, elev 900ft. FWIW followed him in Jan w/ a 45pj, 155mj with no fouling as well.

I do not have much time on 4 strokes but most of the guys I ride w/ are on thumpers. I would agree that you will probably have to run a gear lower than you're used to and don't worry about fouling once you're jetted correctly (but...carry an extra plug just in case.)

I've ridden my KDX for 2 years without even checking the plug. When jetted correctly, today's 2-strokes rarely foul plugs. I do everything from lugging behind my sons for 20+ miles or doing a 75 mile harescramble.

The transition from a 4-stroke to the KDX220 is fairly easy. Smooth useable power just more snap available when needed. It is lighter and the front end will come up easier.

Yes, you will have less engine braking, so going into corners and taking downhills takes a little getting used to.

Have fun.

riding a 4 stroke is easy and u can close your eyes, the 2 stroke will have a lot more snappier feel and wil take off pretty dang fast,

only real difference i have to deal with is, no engine compression so going down hills i just kill my engine and roll it, just like any other bike, need more speed drop a gear and hit the gas all the way then shift up and gas all the way, you will take off

imo the 2 strokes are more fun to ride if your an aggressive rider, you got all that instant power at your fingertips, when i ride 450 4 strokes the power just doesnt feel like its there, but it is, on the 2 strokes u can feeeel the power

32:1 (as in 32ml oil to 1 litre fuel - 256ml oil to 8 litre fuel) is that not a bit rich? I've always run at a 2% mix ratio more like 20:1 (160ml oil to 8 litre fuel) maybe it's just preference or is that what the manual tells you? (PS the GAS GAS also runs a 2% mix but brands do differ)

or do you guys mix 32 litre fuel to 1 part oil? - dunno just asking might also be what's causing the plug fouling?

(metric vs imperial conversion)

PS: Iv'e never had a problem and never had any oil residue, but maybe I'm just misunderstanding the conversation - wouldn't be the first time ?.

32:1 (as in 32ml oil to 1 litre fuel - 256ml oil to 8 litre fuel) is that not a bit rich? I've always run at a 2% mix ratio more like 20:1 (160ml oil to 8 litre fuel) maybe it's just preference or is that what the manual tells you? (PS the GAS GAS also runs a 2% mix but brands do differ)

or do you guys mix 32 litre fuel to 1 part oil? - dunno just asking might also be what's causing the plug fouling?

(metric vs imperial conversion)

PS: Iv'e never had a problem and never had any oil residue, but maybe I'm just misunderstanding the conversation - wouldn't be the first time :moon:.

A 2% gas/oil mixture is 50:1, 2.6 oz of oil in 1 US gallon of gas. Very little oil in a lotta gas.

32:1 is a 3% mix, or, 4oz of oil in 1 US gallon of gas. Or 1 US pint of oil in 4 US gallons of gas. In a nutshell, the numberage is broken down to 1 oz of oil for every 32 oz of gasoline, thus 32:1.

Sorry, I'm not familiar enough with metric measurements to convert without a conversion chart and a calculator.:ride:

32:1 is the mixture I use in my KDX, no problems so far.?

Well I wasnt really looking for KDX advice, but thanks for that anyway guys ?))) I was mainly trying to figure out little things.. like when I should be on/off the clutch/gas and when its ok to "lug" the bike etc. The one time I tried a 2 stroke I was riding around a difficult trail, and I was either stalling it all over the place or on the pipe going way too fast. I also wanted to know about gear choices (do you usually go up/down a hill in higher RPMs with tires kicking or try to get lower in the midrange?) Are there any things that I should NOT do with a 2 stroke in order to save the engine? I understand that most 2 strokes like to be higher up in RPMs, but is that how you should always ride them?

OH and about the KDX.. Actually the seller backed out before I could get her home. I was mad for a day, and then it didnt bother me. I ended up finding a beautiful Gas Gas EC-250 racing with some extras. That sure is alot of bike for a beginner, but I can tell that she is going to be sweet... Once I saw her I knew I wasnt gonna be able to resist her charm. Driving 8 hours each way this weekend... CANT WAIT!!!

IMG_1158.jpg

The yellow plastics were from a new MC-125 I believe. This one is definitely two fiddy! I am hoping it wont be too much for me, but most of my friends have said that I will be fine on one of these. A little more smooth than a motocross bike, but a little more snappy than a KDX220. Never tried Ohlins suspension, but I know that it is high dollar stuff. If I can handle the motor (wrist control? =P) I think I will love it.

The yellow plastics were from a new MC-125 I believe. This one is definitely two fiddy! I am hoping it wont be too much for me, but most of my friends have said that I will be fine on one of these. A little more smooth than a motocross bike, but a little more snappy than a KDX220. Never tried Ohlins suspension, but I know that it is high dollar stuff. If I can handle the motor (wrist control? =P) I think I will love it.

Ok, that explains it. Thought maybe someone was pulling another "Craigslist quicky" there for a bit.:ride:

You'll do fine with it. Will have more snap than a KDX, but not like a MX bike.

But as with all 2 strokes, make friends with your clutch.

Let us know how it works out for you.?

Is the Rekluse viable on a 2 stroke, or should I "Master" the manual clutch? The Gas Gas will probably spoil me with the hydrolic mess ?

Rekluse will work on a 2 stroke. But I personally wouldn't recommend it just because. Learn the clutch, that's what it's about. Rekluse is alright if your doing 100+ mile Enduros and are too tired to pull the lever. Otherwise, your just bypassing learning a valuable skill for riding any dirt bike, 2 or 4 stroke.

I hear ALOT of riders talking about "working the clutch" when it comes to racing, but I never really understood that either. When I ride my bikes (4 strokes) now I usually always clutch in to change gears or if I want to glide. I try to use the brakes instead of the "compression braking" as much as possible also, but I dont think I ever understood the propper technique for using the clutch offroad. I read a thread last week where a guy was talking about hill climbing technique... he said to pin the throttle and use the clutch to limit how much of that actually makes it to the wheel.... doesnt that wear the plates out?

Joseph

Anything can be overdone. The guy talking about the hill climbs probably also wonders why he has to replace so many clutches.?

On my KDX for example, I use a quick slip of the clutch if the motor bogs slightly coming out of a corner in, say, 3rd gear, to keep from downshifting to 2nd and right back up. Also to pop the front wheel up for a rock, log, fun, etc..

Also can be used in moderation to climb things. Too much and yeah, your going to be replacing plates more often.

But a bike like my KDX and your GasGas doesn't need clutch slippage as much as something like a 125 MX bike. True enduro/woods bikes have heavier rotating mass crankshafts and flywheels that will help torque through stuff better and require less usage of the clutch to keep the revs up.

Ride and practice, it comes second nature pretty soon.:ride: