KYB and SMART Performance to provide KYB-Racing fork legs

At the end of March, KYB and SMART Performance will make available brand new DLC (black) coated fork legs with new castings (lugs) attached for limited KYB equipped bikes.

These are not remanufactured or broken down assemblies. These are coated and assembled as new tubes with new castings from the racing division of KYB.

Bikes and pricing include:

09 CRF450R – Right = $276 Left= $267

08-09 YZ125/250/250F/450F – Right = $279 Left = $268

We’ll have additional details and photos in the next week or two.

Pricing does not include shipping, installation or casting hardware. Bottom out cones and cone seals and spring bearings are included.

We recommend the use of a new KYB 48MM main seal when using the DLC coated tubes. These seals are available for $14.61 per pair. Note that these new seals can also be used with conventional 48mm fork tubes where less static friction is required.

Orders will be based on a first-come first-serve basis. Pre-orders are allowed.

No additional bikes will be added.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hope this helps.

Dave, are these something we can just install ourselves by swapping the lower tubes and replacing the fork seals? I am not too sure what casting hardware means.

If I do not need to send my forks out, I am in for a set. I have always wanted to try DLC treated forks.

Dave, are these something we can just install ourselves by swapping the lower tubes and replacing the fork seals? I am not too sure what casting hardware means.

If I do not need to send my forks out, I am in for a set. I have always wanted to try DLC treated forks.

The casting hardware is just the bolts and screws that hold things on such as the fork guards and axle and such - everything that you already have.

And upgrading to these tubes would only require the same amont of work as you would have to do to replace the seals. Simple stuff.

PM sent, I'm in for a set.

why would anyone need DLC coatings when they can just use your magic oil?

why would anyone need DLC coatings when they can just use your magic oil?

With questions like that, I can tell that you're starting to warm up to the idea of testing out your free sample.

I mean...come on, everyone on this board wants nothing more than to see the ultimate critic put it to the test. Am I right?

Whether you hated or loved it, you would still at least walk away as the guy that was bold enough to at least try it...after all that we have been through.

So...I deem this the RICKK 2009 215.VM2.K5 magic oil show-down…dare.

Now...will he accept or will he just come up with another snide remark followed by a moment of silence as he returns back to his corner?

Please don't make me use the chicken word.

Just do it...for us. Give us something to live for!! PLEASE!!!!:p

PM sent, I'm in for a set.

Got your PM. I'll get you on the list. :p

Suspension Direct.... offers same product as well....do they not?

Just curious, maybe you have a new kyb exclusive or something!

Suspension Direct.... offers same product as well....do they not?

Just curious, maybe you have a new kyb exclusive or something!

Ah...good question.

So to the best of my knowledge, Suspension Direct (SDI) purchases new tubes from KYB, then coats them locally, then adds the new KYB lugs. For that, it's $679 for the pair. ENZO does a similar thing.

They also have anodized lugs that you can upgrade to as well, or you can have your lugs anodized for $49.99.

They will also coat your existing legs for $499 which I think includes breaking them down and putting them back together. I’m sure they offer a swap program as well. Again, similar to ENZO, but ENZO charges upwards of $700 to coat the lower tubes or swap yours for someone else's. That's a crazy price.

It's a little confusing with SDI because their price list and catalog says two different things. Additionally, SDI is a distributor and should only be selling to dealers, but they seem to be selling to just about anyone these days. They are a supplier to Tucker Rocky as well.

Ya know, I can't quite figure out what the relationship is between Suspension Direct and KYB because I have ordered parts from SDI in the past when KYB was out, and everything is just slightly different. I think SDI makes their own shims, (or buys them locally) as they are clearly not KYB, (but still good shims). But some of their other parts looked very OEM, but were not marked or bagged as KYB. :p

But Dan Worley (the owner) has ties into KYB so I think most of their parts are genuine. In either case, it’s a good business and a good resource for tuners and the like. I would recommend them.

is that price for actual new legs or we have to do a core and give you our old ones?? if we get to keep our stock ones i would def be down for a set on my 09. lmk thanks

That's (I'm guessing....) for complete new...no exchange required.

is that price for actual new legs or we have to do a core and give you our old ones?? if we get to keep our stock ones i would def be down for a set on my 09. lmk thanks

These are for brand-spanking new legs and lugs. No exchange required.

Ya know...nowadays, this is just how much this stuff should be. In the past, $1000 for a set of coated fork tubes made sense because of the complexity and how limited things were.

But now the technologies and the processes are becoming more mainstream. No different than that what we saw with computer prices in the last ten years.

For suspension shops to continue to fetch a price based on pricing that is now 5 to 10 years old is just out of whack. I'm sure we'll be the first to do a discount at this level, but we won't be the last.

That said, my ties into KYB are nothing special. It's not like I'm easting Sushi with these guys every night. I just purchase a lot of stuff from them...but nothing more than what a lot of companies are doing.

sweet no exchange needed that is how it should be is right. i have talked to places and they wanted higher prices then that and your stock ones. then to get it done to your stock ones at places was like you said 1k or better which is not right. you got a pm, thanks for the info dave

These are for brand-spanking new legs and lugs. No exchange required.

Ya know...nowadays, this is just how much this stuff should be. In the past, $1000 for a set of coated fork tubes made sense because of the complexity and how limited things were.

But now the technologies and the processes are becoming more mainstream. No different than that what we saw with computer prices in the last ten years.

For suspension shops to continue to fetch a price based on pricing that is now 5 to 10 years old is just out of whack. I'm sure we'll be the first to do a discount at this level, but we won't be the last.

That said, my ties into KYB are nothing special. It's not like I'm easting Sushi with these guys every night. I just purchase a lot of stuff from them...but nothing more than what a lot of companies are doing.

Im really looking at getting a deal on coating the Forks and shock shaft on my 02 which is the 46mm KYBs. RG3 Gave me the best price which involved a complete service front anf back for about $800 total.

Problem is with such old suspension componets they said the sliders may have been contaminated with dirt and may not take to the DLC coating which means Id need to buy new ones at something like 300 a piece.

Im really looking at getting a deal on coating the Forks and shock shaft on my 02 which is the 46mm KYBs. RG3 Gave me the best price which involved a complete service front anf back for about $800 total.

Problem is with such old suspension componets they said the sliders may have been contaminated with dirt and may not take to the DLC coating which means Id need to buy new ones at something like 300 a piece.

New KYB tubes for your bike, (without the DLC) are $174.35 for the left and $149.52 for the right. That's tubes with new lugs.

Just received an update that the tubes will be in the states on Monday so we should have them at the shop on Wednesday.

I'll follow up next week.

Hey DaveJ,what would it cost to have the shock shaft done,I would take the shock apart and just send the shaft

I would guess about 120 at the most.

Hey DaveJ,what would it cost to have the shock shaft done,I would take the shock apart and just send the shaft

Sorry...forgot to answer this. We don't send the shock shafts out. We just have new units already DLC'd. $179.

Tubes are in.

I'll post some photos later on.

All of the current batch is spoken for but we have more coming.

Same price.

By the way, the lower lugs are black.

SCOTTG (09CRF450) - give me a call at 408-406-2089.