From Massachusetts to West Virginia

Hey out there.. Im looking to move to West Virginia in a year or so from Massachusetts and was wondering if i can get any opinion's/suggestions. I been spending some time looking up the area and it seems to be just what i want. I always had a dream of living life in the woods but not too far from civilization just in case of emergency. Hatefeild McCoy trails seem off the hook! Can anyone help me out in finding a city/town or a decent area to live? Any help is appreciated!:p

Just a word to the wise, WV isn't too far from civilization as the crow flies, but it is nothing but big mountains and twisty 2 lane roads. Make sure you actually do the drive between your preferred urban center and the place you plan to live before you take the plunge.

What vocation are you seeking? Southern WV is nice...Beckley,Bluefield, and Princeton are the large cities...Jobs are tough...In the part of WV that Im from, several large buisnesses have already shut down...

Kelly

The the big mountains and twisty roads is right on the money where i want to be. Well hopefully this August i will start work as a journeyman in the HVAC field so if that goes through well then thats what i will take with me to WV. unless i should be looking for a different career that fits WV economy. it scares me to hear that several LARGE businesses shut down...everyone is in such a huge struggle

Hey yzMan, check out www.msorrc.com the picture in the middle was shot at my house. I live in Marion county around the Fairmont area.:p

thats pretty sick.. anymore pics of the Marion county or the Fairmont area?

Try Elkins,Fairmont, and Lewisburg

If your interested in going a little further south....Try Asheville,Nc. We have the best twisy roads in the East!

Kelly

well right now im looking up the Wyoming County in WV specifically at the town called Pineville. Every pic i find about this place (state or county) makes me want to move sooner

i love the scenic parts of the wilderness and the trail system sounds good over there. I do like the southern part of things.

No question Pineville is BFE...

Kelly

Pineville is truely the boondocks. I would consider something in the northern part of the state along the I-79 corridor. You can get to BFE very quickly in that part of the country and still have access to decent hospitals and schools. Lots of real estate offering free gas too. I grew up in Southern WV and the Beckley area is great, but don't be fooled by the map....Pineville is a looong way from anything. I am looking for a retirement spot in that area myself. Overall, the economy in WV is driven by Coal. And right now business is good.

Pineville is truely the boondocks. I would consider something in the northern part of the state along the I-79 corridor. You can get to BFE very quickly in that part of the country and still have access to decent hospitals and schools. Lots of real estate offering free gas too. I grew up in Southern WV and the Beckley area is great, but don't be fooled by the map....Pineville is a looong way from anything. I am looking for a retirement spot in that area myself. Overall, the economy in WV is driven by Coal. And right now business is good.

Great to know this. Real estate offering free gas?? that would be helpful in finding a place. Your very right about being close to decent hospitals...it is a little scary being far from help. Hows the winter like in the northern part on average..long harsh winters?

Winters aren't anything like MA. You get some good snows, but the highway department knows how to deal with that. Winters aren't really that long there. The free gas is "natural gas" to heat yer home or fuel yer car. There's a lot wells up there that aren't commercially viable anymore but still producing. There's also land that doesn't come with mineral rights but you get a free tap off of the well.

that sounds nice! hopefully my job goes through and i can make some money for a place to live. thanks for the info anything else i should know?

Charleston looks awesome! ohh man i wish i was there exploring right about now:ride:

HVAC isn't that a fancy term for Heating and air conditioning? Anyways the Huntington / Charleston area and everything in between has plenty of civilization with a quick jaunt to BFE. BTW I'm on the bike to the right of the welcome page for this site. www.MSORRC.com You should sign up for it. Plenty of pics of the places we ride in this state. Tell them Vamp refered you. The owner tries to keep the spammers from signing up so that will clue him in that you aren't a spammer.

Edit... Forgot to add that with all the curvy roads to curve up you might want to buy a sport bike also. I've got an R1 in the stable also.

HVAC isn't that a fancy term for Heating and air conditioning? Anyways the Huntington / Charleston area and everything in between has plenty of civilization with a quick jaunt to BFE. BTW I'm on the bike to the right of the welcome page for this site. www.MSORRC.com You should sign up for it. Plenty of pics of the places we ride in this state. Tell them Vamp refered you. The owner tries to keep the spammers from signing up so that will clue him in that you aren't a spammer.

Edit... Forgot to add that with all the curvy roads to curve up you might want to buy a sport bike also. I've got an R1 in the stable also.

Im up there every month...Im from Point Pleasant. I stay at my dads and visit my son...Would love to hook up with you guys to ride...

Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning is what it stands for but ya pretty much right. Is that a good career to have down there? that seems like a pretty cool site i will sign up thanks

Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning is what it stands for but ya pretty much right. Is that a good career to have down there? that seems like a pretty cool site i will sign up thanks

HVAC is a good job around here. Plenty of big name brand factories, Toyota, Dupont, Ashland Oil, FMC, Alcoa. Coal mines need ventalation also. We have plenty of those. Govt contracts with controlled enviroment storage, etc, etc. I know a couple of people in that line of work. One of them applies his trade at Ashland Oil and another one works for a company that does the enviromental controlled storage under Govt contract for the National Guard.