Sign in to follow this  

Looked At a XR650R With Undisclosed Issue's-Opinion's?

OKay so I have the other topic in the XR section about the 04 being a pretty good deal and plans to go look at it today. Im hoping to get a few more opinions and suggestion with this thread now that I've looked at it.

The deal was that it's his 70 y/o father's who had trouble kick starting it so it didn't really get used. 91 miles, all stock in perfect condition, needing nothing. Sound's like a good deal, which is why I drove 90 minutes to look.

The good was it doesn't have any boot wear on the frame or crank cover at all and the odo does in fact say 91.

The bad was that, on the phone, like I said, he didn't say anything negative about it at all. Just a simply very low use stock bike, and 90 minutes later I get there and it runs like shit. Forget about idleing. To keep it running just sitting you have to be on the throttle pretty good. It wouldn't run or lug at low enough RPM to get turned around on a standard width road in 1st gear. Response was entirely off and on. When you got to the RPM's to where it would go you would spin the tire with zero response below that. Starting off, same, it wouldn't go without a handfull of gas and tire spin. Then it was backfiring alot and just sounded very rough. So I figure it's a few years old with no use so the carb is prob pretty cloged but why not say that on the phone? He also said it must need a carb cleaning and that he drained the bowl and replaced the gas the other day so it's not like he didn't have any idea that it wasnt running right. Then it says on the frame, BIG sticker, "03 model year" which is a year older than he said... and lastly I've only had 2 stroke MX bikes so I dont know if these are perhaps clear signs of valve issues or lifters or cdi or another possibly bad 4 stoke issue that Im clueless about. They can't run this shitty from just being corked up right? I woulda' been alot less wierded out if he just said it need's a carb cleaning on the phone and it's not running too good from sitting around but he didn't say anything close to that and the thing sounded BAD so IDK. This Coupled with the model year inconsistency and the messed up power delivery I wanted to see what expertise I could get here and if it sound's like a classic carb clean fix.

How durable are the graphics? Because these were bubled up on one side and a couple scratches in em.

In case your not farmiliar with the other thread, the bike is 3250, so not bad there. But that could also give the idea that perhaps something is wrong more than I realize.

91 miles on the odometer doesn't mean anything. They reset after 100 miles anyway. Who knows how many miles are on it or whats wrong with it.

I'd walk.

It's been sitting for months? The carb is gummed up.

It's an XR. They are reasonably bullet proof. If there isn't wear on any surfaces, frame, pegs, levers, controls, covers, etc, then it PROBABLY doesn't have much use.

I don't know what they go for as I haven't priced them in a long time. It isn't hard or expensive to clean a carb. Then figure all the things you need to do to any bike you buy.

Oil

Filter

Flush brake systems

Flush fuel tank

Check and lube wheel bearings

Check and lube swingarm and linkage bushings/bearings

change fork oil

etc.

I haven't seen the bike, but if the price is good, I wouldn't be afraid of it.

Offer the guy $300 or 400 less because of the work you will have to do to it.

ya, it's been sitting for years i guess, run once a year. the prob is that the thing was supposed to be awesome in everyway and then it ran terribly, was a year older that it was supposed to be, and had just messed up power delivery. and i dont know about thumpers so wanted to find out if it could be a bad internal motor issue.

It's underpriced but is there an underlying reason for that?

I wouldn't buy anything that isn't running right. If all it needs is a carb cleaning, then have him take care of it before he attempts to sell it. Also, that isn't the greatest price. I wouldn't go over $ 3000.

ya, the more i look at some adds the more i realize its pretty average priced. Its just that most local ones tend to be overpriced. Which i think is because they are more popular out west. So I may have to throw a low offer out and see if it flies.

The carb has dried out and crusted. The pilot circuit is plugged and will need cleaning. If the bike looks OK otherwise, then chisel him down because of the poor running condition and one year older and roll with it in the back of your truck.

but you guys do think the 1st gear low end snap is caused by the carb right? Surely they are not supposed to do that. I would hate to find out that thats just how they are. Initial power delivery is that of actually breaking the tire loose.

but you guys do think the 1st gear low end snap is caused by the carb right? Surely they are not supposed to do that. I would hate to find out that thats just how they are. Initial power delivery is that of actually breaking the tire loose.

Yes, a plugged idle circuit will do that. Honda 4 stroke air cooled bikes are rock solid. If you like the bike, the price is good, get it, the issues you speak of require little or even no money to fix, just some time and elbow grease.

Yes, a plugged idle circuit will do that. Honda 4 stroke air cooled bikes are rock solid. If you like the bike, the price is good, get it, the issues you speak of require little or even no money to fix, just some time and elbow grease.

XR650R is liquid cooled actually :ride: I'm sure you knew that and just slipped up though :p