Crankcase Bolt not coming loose!

Got a problem - changing the oil on my 2002 Suzuki DRZ 400 and the crank case bolt is not coming loose meaning I can't drain the oil from the crankcase area. Quick (probably stupid) question - is there another way to get the oil out of the crankcase?? Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

can't get it loose?..... is the bolt head stripped/rounded?.....have you tried a breaker bar for more leverage?....the drain bolt really should not be that tight?

can't get it loose?..... is the bolt head stripped/rounded?.....have you tried a breaker bar for more leverage?....the drain bolt really should not be that tight?

looks a little stripped, yes and haven't tried a breaker bar yet. Will give that a shot. Is there another way to get the oil out though? Thanks!!

Before it gets totally messed up, try a impact gun. It is much gentler than pure force/torque.

If you cant get the drain bolt off because it is stripped i just saw this cool set of sockets with teeth in them to get off stripped bolts at home depot

it is never easy, is it!

If you cant get the drain bolt off because it is stripped i just saw this cool set of sockets with teeth in them to get off stripped bolts at home depot

good stuff- thanks- will try that

Another method I use to get bolts loose is to actually tighten it a little, which sometimes breaks the bolt loose enough that you can get it out.

Wild guess... you never change the drain plug washer.

Also, try it with a warm motor. That is if you've been trying it cold.:p

Not to add to your grief, but there have been posts from owners that have cracked their case at the drain site by putting too much stress on the drain hole.

So be careful.

Might I suggest low setting on an impact wrench. First to loosen than to tighten.. Also try a breaker bar and rap it with a heavy hammer gently first to loosen than to tighten and just keep repeating the process. Don't lose your patience.

Tony

Are we turning it counter clockwise? Maybe someone jb welded it in there because of past thread damage

Make sure to use a six point socket.

OK- I fixed it! Looks like the bolt was rounded afterall. So, I went to Home Depot and bought this tool kit called the "bolt grip". I used that, along with a small, copper pipe to use as leverage on the wrench and it came lose in just about 5 seconds! Thanks to all for your help!!

I hope your going to your local Suzuki Dealer before the leaded-drain-plug-frenzy begins, and getting a new replacement or two.

Make sure to use a six point socket.

+1:thumbsup:

Just saw that you'd solved your problem. Congrats