Sign in to follow this  

little guy suspesnsion settings?

Finally made the leap from a 1999 yz250 to a 2007 kx450f. I'm 5'7 pushing 5'8 (maybe on a good day) and weight about 165 lbs. I'd love to get the balls of my feet on the ground without sacrificing any performance if at all possible and am open to suggestions. I'm done racing at age 35, I might hit an open practice or two but for the most part I'm on trails, about 95% of the time and it would help to get more then just the tip toes down. Bike feels great only rode it once because its still freezing here, making it pretty tough to start and cold to ride.

I'll probably go with a 48 rear sprocket as well for tight trails unless anyone thinks that's a terrible idea?

You can also put on a pro circuit linkage. I am vertically challenged as well (5'7" - 5'8" on a good day) and the linkage lowered the rear. I also have my front forks 10mm above the top triple clamp. I have purchased another seat and shaved it down to try out when I get my suspension back this week from factory connection. I have tried a shaved seat before on a friends kx250f and did not like it at all...but it was his bike set up...will be interesting to see if I like it with my bike set-up. Will post after I give it a try.

I'll probably go with a 48 rear sprocket as well for tight trails unless anyone thinks that's a terrible idea?

I think it's a terrible idea. I would wait until you can try whatever you have on it before deciding what you need. I would be looking at 13/52 for tight trails. Now if you have an autoclutch that could change things a little. Of course your idea of tight might not be the same as mine!

CR

Its not like I haven't been on the bike at all, it was pretty warm the other day and I riped it around my friends practice track. If possiblel I'll stick with shaving the seat and lowering the forks I'd like to leave the suspension in tack other then adjusting the sag, which I still need to do.

I've read about poeple putting an 18 inch rear tire on, do u leave the front tire the same size?

Do yuo need to put a smaller rim on or is it just the tire? Fogive my ignorance I've not owned a bike I though I should lower.

I've read about poeple putting an 18 inch rear tire on, do u leave the front tire the same size?

Do yuo need to put a smaller rim on or is it just the tire? Fogive my ignorance I've not owned a bike I though I should lower.

Front tire width can be 80 or 90. Take your pick. Rear size 18" is the rim size. You need to look at specs for tire tread overall diams. You might lower it 10mm with some 18s. Beware for offroad you don't want a low profile tire or your rims will get damaged with low air pressure setting. Sorry you well earned a :moon: for the 18" question.

I'm 5'9" but lucky my legs aren't real short. Anyway I love my SDG low seat. It keeps me locked in and takes away some arm loads. One big problem with a low seat, is in sharp braking woops before a corner, if you drop onto the seat just a fraction too soon as you lay the bike over to turn, you can smack your jewels hard on the gas tank. Did it yesterday and needed a 3 minute "cool down". :moon::ride:

The other problem with a low seat, is the distinct "saddle" shape. So you slot into the middle a lot and it can make it hard to keep forward at times. But I find that with proper sag setup, and a quicker transition from front brake to open throttle that I dont need to sit forward very much for corners. It just turns. :p

I'll definitely look into the seat, I'd like to keep the boys good and happy at age 35 they don't need to take any more abuse then they already have. I was thinking I might bring the seat to a upholstery shop near my hous and see if they might be able to make her nice and perdy for me. Maybe even different foam on so it'll still protect the package even with a little less foam.

I aaumed u needed to get a rim with the 18inch rim but on all the thread it was never mentoined so I figured I'd swallow my pride and ask lol. Its my first 4 stroke I'm gonna be asking a ton of questions, how do u put gas in it anyway? Ok maybe that was going a little too far, for real though I like to take car of my bikes and the more I know how to the better.

I have the sag set at 92 how far can u go?
92 is very high! If the rear cannot squat enough, you'll find the steering is way too quick, and you might tend to enter corners sitting back on the seat, and not leaning the chassis enough on entry. So by mid corner you are screwed in multiple ways. Very bad.

Edit: I just realized you have the 07 model, which has a less progressive rear linkage (more firm early but softer when compressed), so your chassis might not behave as bad as mine in riding conditions with so little rear rider sag. Still 92 is very high.

What is your static sag? It should be around 30mm.

For me 98 to 100mm rider sag is my range and that diff can be felt on a track. It is sensitive to adjust too, I find 2/3rd a nut turn is about 2mm of sag change. The best position depends on a lot of things. Best you can do is make sure the nuts are clean, oiled (I like wd40 since it seems to not hold much dust) and lightly locked. Then ride-adjust-ride-adjust. But make sure your front+rear springs are at least in the ball park, and make sure your suspension service is not overdue and you're not doing anything crazy with damper settings on either end. With fork clamp height, most people are in the range of 6 to 13 mm between clamp and cap, but the ideal figure there also depends on the target track, your fork springs, fork spring preload, etc.

I'm almost 5'8 about 160lbs, we stopped at 92 because I wasn't sure how far I could go, I'd be happy to bring it down more just wasn't sure I could. Whats the max 102?

plus I figured I'd take her for a spin at 92 and as u said, ride adjust ride adjust, but if I can get more foot on the ground without effecting the handling drastically I'd be happy to. I brought the front forks down 8mm as well. I'll set the clickers accordingly depending on what I'm riding

I appreciate the advice I need all the help I can get this is a new bike for me, and my first 4 banger after a life time of 2 stroke 250's it was time. The shocks are revalved from the previous rider who was a pro racer, rear spring looks like it may be aftermarket because it didn't look like I could get much more then the 92 sag I moved it to.

I got to ride today for the first time with my Factory Connection revalve and cut down seat. All I can say is WOW!! The track I was riding on was very hard pack with square edge bumps and very few ruts to stick into. The suspension soaked up everything I threw at it. It also made the bike stay firmly planted in the few long sweeping ruts they had (before I always had a tendency to pop out half way through the turn). The seat allowed me to feel 100% confident on long slick sweepers. Just being that little bit lower made a HUGE difference. The seat did make it easier to maneuver the bike in the air as well (why...?)...and I did smack the nuts one time when I came up short on a 85' tabletop. Overall on a scale from 1-10 I would give these few changes I made a 20!! I cant wait to ride with this set up on a nice loamy track!! No doubt just making this confidence booster will allow me to shave seconds off my lap times...all without having to touch the engine (only a 55 leak jet has been switched out)!! I will post pics of my bike after I am able to wash it.:p

I'm almost 5'8 about 160lbs, we stopped at 92 because I wasn't sure how far I could go, I'd be happy to bring it down more just wasn't sure I could. Whats the max 102?
Well, yeah you could say 102mm is about the max. Keep in mind that 4mm in sag is huge for handling but nothing in terms of touching the ground or not. IE. Don't set the rear sag for the length of your legs. Set it right to handle properly. You cannot compromise the handling. It might be comfortable to touch the ground more often, but it's a lot safer and more fun if the bike turns and tracks as it should.

very true. took out the last two days set at 92 same with the forks lowered 8mm, left pretty damn good when I got the clickers dialed in for the track. Still felt like it could be better though I'll have to keep adjusting it.

I ride a 08 450, with boots im 5'11. I could not touch the ground good so I sent my forks and shock to MX Tech and had them lowered 1". It handles great now and in tight stuff I can touch the ground without falling over. Money well spent. I was told to cut my seat but it puts you in more of a squat position, plus its rougher on your rear end and I dont mean your bike.