Kickstart nut 1990 KX250

I went out to ride today and my kickstart fell off-:ride: . Now I am wondering what size the nut that holds the kickstart on is- I am hoping someone on here has replaced this before. Thanks guys in advance....:p

I went out to ride today and my kickstart fell off-:ride: . Now I am wondering what size the nut that holds the kickstart on is- I am hoping someone on here has replaced this before. Thanks guys in advance....:p

i replaced mine with the oem replacement from kawi, but for next time locktite it, when you buy em from the dealer they come with loctite on em already

Is there a washer or anything that goes on before the nut? I looks like there is a couple of washers (and is that a spring??) on this schematic-

http://www.bikebandit.com/assets/schematics/Kawasaki/1990KX250H1US_E1340.gif

I just want to make sure it put it back together properly. Thanks

no, thats all inside the case, just the kickstarter then the nut, nothing else

I have done the same thing... ONCE!

Loc-Tite and a torque wrench are your friends. :p

The OEM nut may not be too expensive to just order from your local dealer. Otherwise, you could measure the thread diameter and pitch on the shaft, then try to find one at a hardware store.

The best part about this story is that it happened BEFORE you were out riding. (WHEW!!) :ride:

I have done the same thing... ONCE!

Loc-Tite and a torque wrench are your friends. :p

The OEM nut may not be too expensive to just order from your local dealer. Otherwise, you could measure the thread diameter and pitch on the shaft, then try to find one at a hardware store.

The best part about this story is that it happened BEFORE you were out riding. (WHEW!!) :ride:

Yeah I had the same reaction- at least it happened in the garage not out in the desert somewhere! I called the local dealer and they said the didnt have a listing for it:banghead: , so Im not sure if they were just useless or what, but it looks like the hardware store for me. Do any of you have any idea what size it would be- not really familiar with measuring thread diameter and pitch myself...Thanks:ride:

92009-1590 is the part number. Maybe they can locate one. It's a screw, not a nut.

Description: SCREW,6X30

Package Quantity: 1

Item Status Code: Canceled

We must be talking about different things- i am looking at a threaded shaft that my kickstart slides onto- I am not missing the screw. The kickstart slides onto the shaft, then there are threads sticking out which i am assuming some kind of nut threads on to to hold the kickstart on the shaft...

you didn't lose the entire assembly just the aluminum portion? you have definetely lost the long screw and probably the spring and ball bearing as well. check with your local dealer to see if he has all in stock or you can make do with parts from a hardware store until the dealer gets em in. use loctite and then use a sharp punch to seat the screw in place.

I didnt actually lose anything- I started my bike up and was maneuvering it out of my garage when the entire kickstart assembly simply fell off the shaft with my bike still running....I still have the screw, shaft, kickstart everything appears intact and I can literally slide the kickstart onto the shaft, start the bike, then pull the kickstart off and go riding if I wanted too- I wish my camera had batteries so I could show you what it looks like. I can still start my bike without a problem, everything is in place- there are just nice clean threads sticking out where a nut appears to go holding the lever on the shaft when I have the assembly on the shaft- I was simply wondering if anyone knew which size this nut was on a 1990....Thanks again:ride:

no, thats all inside the case, just the kickstarter then the nut, nothing else

You must understand what I am looking at- any chance someone could go check their own bike to see what size nut that is?

By looking at the supersession information on the Kawasaki parts diagram page, it is a 12mm nut (this means the thread diameter, not that you need to grab a 12mm wrench/socket to work on it). It doesn't show the thread pitch, but I will guess 1.5mm. It is actually the same nut as on my 1994 KDX200, and 1.5 mm sounds about right to me.

At Ron Ayers (www.ronayers.com), it is 64 cents! This is truly one part where you should be able to buy it at the dealer without it being too expensive. It is Kawasaki part number:

315G1200

Use some blue Loc-Tite 242 next time, and a torque wrench.

Here is a picture of the parts diagram from the Kawasaki site. It is in the bottom-right corner, with Reference number 315. Again, the part number is 315G1200.

1265490_090303_025921_3656.png

Thanks very much- I have the same diagram in my shop manual it just threw me at first because it doesnt look like it just goes on after the kickstart... I will be riding again in no time thanks again

Hey, no problem.

yea like i said:moon:

I can empathise to a certain extent regarding losing the nut off of the kick pedal boss.That is what KAWASAKI calls the piece that the kick pedal attaches to and I went thru a nightmare of ordeals UNTIL i finally purchased a new one at a cost of about $45-50.00.This was before i knew how to search the net but anyways,the nut had become stripped,causing the kick pedal boss to wear internally,causing the kick pedal boss to not bite as i kicked down on kick pedal to kick start my 1987 KDX200.

I became adept at push starting that bike(I just pulled it and started getting it ready to ride after having been silent for 2 years) and was elated to finally figure out that which i needed to eliminate the push starting deal.The shaft that the kick pedal boss fits on,THANK GOODNESS,was made very well in japan and did not suffer from the repeated attempts at kicking a stripped out kick pedal boss.You know the splines held up well.

your post brought the memories of that ordeal and got me to look over prepping that ol'1987 KDX200 for a little flashback riding.

Thanks for the memories.:ride::moon::p:moon: