YZ 250 for SoCal Trail Bike

I rode my nephews YZ this weekend :p & now I'm thinking about selling my WR250 & buying a 2002 YZ250 (green sticker) 2-smoke.

Advice from current SoCal 250 riders as far as gearing, add-ons, etc?

I don't plan on racing, but we ride the trails @ Stoddard Wells 2-3 times per month :ride:

I ride Socal desert and trails. I have a 05 YZ250 with an IMS tank, billet kick stand, 11 oz FWW and JD jet kit. The bike works great for me. I guess the only item I would enjoy having is a lighting kit for night riding.

buy it i love my 03 yami 250, i'm in cali also, wheres stoddard wells?

I ride an 05 yz250 off road here in SoCal too and absolutely love this bike. I run the stock 14/50 gearing which works well for all but powerline roads and dry lake beds. The 2 smoke yz loves single track, and has so far been stone reliable and cheap to maintain.

A JD kit would be great , And a FMF Turbine Core 2 spark arrestor , and be very reliable , cause you dont want to be changing plugs in the hot desert , or stranded , i did had to push my bike back to camp in the hot hot desert , with nothing with me , no tools or water backpack

This one looks clean

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/1054797833.html

buy it i love my 03 yami 250, i'm in cali also, wheres stoddard wells?

South of Barstow

A JD kit would be great , And a FMF Turbine Core 2 spark arrestor , and be very reliable , cause you dont want to be changing plugs in the hot desert , or stranded , i did had to push my bike back to camp in the hot hot desert , with nothing with me , no tools or water backpack

This one looks clean

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/1054797833.html

Thanks for the tip, but I'm holding out for an 02 (green sticker), for summer riding up at Silverwood.

For now, I've got use of my favorite nephews YZ

Another Cal off road 2002 YZ250 here.....

FMF Fatty pipe/Pro Circuit Nature Friendly spark arrestor (FMF Q Stealth also great)/

14/48 gearing/13oz Steahly flywheel weight/o-ring chain/rejetted lean for temp and altitude/

retimed to factory minus .001" (.006" total)/Applied clamps/Pro Taper bars (less vibration)/Maxxis rear (tough, long wearing off road tire)/

VF3 reeds and cage/TwinAir filter/BR8ES plug/32:1 Yamalube/91 pump and no detonation

The 14/48 is great for most off road as long as you're not doing tight uphill technical rocks or very slippery technical work.

If you do, you will prob need 14/50 or even 14/51-52

The nice thing about the 14/48 off road is it mellows the hit a little and the top end is not screaming it's brains out.

(maybe 500 rpm lower at the same speed or 4 mph faster at the same rpm)

ymmv

Thanks for the tip, but I'm holding out for an 02 (green sticker), for summer riding up at Silverwood.

For now, I've got use of my favorite nephews YZ

I heard Silverwood is Nice is it? I only go to El Mirage Mostly with friends that race thier cars and hot rods with SCTA/BNI group and go to Gorman

Silverwood is pretty cool. From the dam you have an option of 10 miles of dirt road that has lots of twists & turns, with multiple optional technical trails linking out from the road, then a couple of miles of light technical singletrack, then another 10 miles of higher speed dirt road.

What's really nice is the summer temp is 10-20 degrees cooler in the mountains than in the desert.

Is anyone one using engine or pipe protection?

one of my bikes has Skidplate thats it ,not really

I ride a 01 all over the state.

I had to have a green sticker! I

then did the WR transmission/18

inch rear/ DaveJ Fork Mods/

Yada Yada Yada and the thing runs great.

Just screwing around jawbone this weekend

my kid filmed this. You cannot go wrong if

looking for a green sticker bike.:p

Ossi is right, great green sticker bike.

I forgot to add that I have a skidplate, prob. saved the frame/cases a couple of times.

But the pipe guard is 6 /one half dozen as most I've seen end up denting the pipe anyway when dropping it, especially on rocks....

The pipe becomes a maint./replacement item when off-roading a 2T imho.

PS. Thanks for the gas Ossi.....:p