XR250 valve adjustment questions

All

I just finished adjusting my valves on my 2001 XR250 that I bought used last spring.

I did not disconnect the decompression lever and simply rotated the crank counter clockwise until the sideways T lined up with the notch as the manual states "on the compression stroke". I verified that all 4 rockers could be wiggled or had movement at this point.

I checked the valves and both the exhaust valves were loose - don't know how loose as I simply used the MOTION PRO feeler gauge that has 0.004 on one end and 0.005 on the other. The 0.005 could be freely moved around on the exhaust side. On the intake side, they were tight - I couldn't get the 0.004 in there. I adjusted to spec on both the intake and exhaust side.

Is this normal? Exhaust getting loose while the intake getting tight? Or am I at the mercy of the previous owner? The bike was in excellent shape and still had the original tires when I bought it, so I know it wasn't abused.

SO I can you guys with more experience than I comment on the loose exhaust/tight intake and if my overall method is sound - I do have TFM and have RTFM on at least adjusting the valves> :p

Thanks

there just going to wear differently, my kawi will tighten the exaust valve and has never thrown the intake out of spec.

i think it has to do with the hardness of the metals or somthing.

As valves wear, they tighten up. The only way they could loosen would be if your adjusters were stripped or the valves were not closing all the way (sticking, warped etc.). I'd say that your exhaust valves have been a little loose all along. A little loose is better that a little tight.

Well I fired the beast up today and the top end is quieter. I need to get it really warm (and go riding!!) to see if the tick/clatter that I got at temperature went away!!>

As valves wear, they tighten up. The only way they could loosen would be if your adjusters were stripped or the valves were not closing all the way (sticking, warped etc.). I'd say that your exhaust valves have been a little loose all along. A little loose is better that a little tight.

Hmm, I've had cold starting issues lately so I decided to adjust the valves last night. Some were a bit tight.

I'm pretty sure I did everything right, but this is the first time I've adjusted valves on a kick start only bike. Now that I'm finished it seems a bit harder to kick and I still haven't gotten it to start.

Is it normal to feel a bit different in the kick start throw? I want to say it feels a bit more "notchy". I'm not sure what to expect at this point. After reading some other posts, I think I made them too tight.I cancelled going riding today because I couldn't start it last night.

So much for my strict "no working on the bike the night before going riding" rule.

If your valves were way too tight, you would have compression leaking by them. After you set them correctly, the compression would be restored, perhaps causing it to be harder to crank over. Still won't start? I'd replace the plug and go from there. Has the bike been sitting for a long time, over the winter or longer? Are you sure the carb is not gummed-up with old gas? Getting good spark?

It's been sitting for a month or so since the last ride. On the last ride it was hard to start as well, which was out of the ordinary. I think it's time to go through the carb and change the plug anyway.

The intake valves in the XR250 are a little soft and will wear over time causing them to tighten up. When the situation gets to the point of frequent adjustment, it is time for replacement.