New owner of a 98 KX250

Hey all. New to the site.

Just picked up a 98 KX250 this weekend. It's my first dirtbike since I was a teenager. I haven't been on a dirtbike in at least 15 years. I've been on mostly sportbikes for the last 9 years solid.

The bike has new crank bearings and new top end kit in it. Seems to run out pretty solid. Has bark busters and some kind of oversized "desert" tank. It's a little rough, but nothing to terrible for an older bike. But it's exactly what I wanted.....a cheap bike to mess around on the trails with. My friends had been getting quads and wanted me to do the same, but I just couldn't get myself to go that route instead of getting a bike.

Quick qusetion. The kickstarter doesn't seem to want to engage all the time. Sometimes I have to be real gentle when I engage it and sometimes it won't stay engaged when I kick it. I'm thinking this isn't quite right. It looks like I'll have to take the side of the engine apart to get to whatever mechanism is needing to be replaced. I'll end up getting a service manual for the bike, but is there anything to tough when working on the kickstarter?

I'll also need to recover the seat, so if anyone can point me in a direction where to get a new cover, that would be great.

I only rode the bike for about 10 minutes today since it was only about 20 degrees out, but I'm so excited to get it out when the weather warms up. Now time to get some riding gear. ?

http://www.funbike.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=380993&category=Motorcycles&make=Kawasaki&year=1998&fveh=8807

Make sure the guide kick part #13206 is not broken or the bolt came loose and not catching the kicker gear. But you do want to pull the right side cover and clutch hub to get a good look and make sure it all is good. Check fleabay for a seat cover.

On the kick starter inside the clutch cover there is a mechanism with a gear and spring, the spring may be week or the square lugs on the gear may be getting rounded. As for the seat cover a parts shop or ebay.

That is a nice bike, have fun.

Ed