be honest!!

i have a friend that is going to try for loretta's this year since they brought the fifty plus class back. he has the opertuninty to get a left over 08 yzf450 for 4200.00 or a 09 honda at cost or a little more. he wont tell me what that is. i'm a honda guy but i'm am having a hard time telling him that a new honda is worth 3 or 4 thousand dollars more. the guy gets pretty competitive, he won red bud back in 1980. i guess what i'm asking is if you put say 3 thousand dollars in a new yzf 08 model would the honda still be a more competitive bike. he wont have money to put in the honda if he gets that one. thanks for your honest opinion.

I sold my 06 YZ450F to buy my 09 CRF450R. I love my new Honda but if both were brand new, I would not pay $3,000-$4,000 more for the Honda. Straight up, the Honda wins hands down.

So, I would go with the Yamaha in this case. It is actually a very vet friendly bike.

damn brand new 08 for 4k and thats a bike that really doesn't do anything wrong and for him prob only needs a pipe set up or maybe springs.

I agree, I just bought an 09 crf450 but if I could have got an 08 yz for $3000 less I probably would have. They tried to pawn an 07 leftover yz 450 off on me when I bought mine for only $1500 less, if they would have said $3k less on the 07 I probably would have taken it. These opinions might change though when I actually get to ride the bike, this weather sucks!!!

I am a Honda guy I got a 08 yz 250f and I am totally happy. I just got an 03 crf450 but dirt cheap. Get the Yamaha 450 it is way more reliable then the Honda, And will be just as competetive. Remember it is the rider not the bike.NO way in hell is the Honda worth 3000 more unless your Bill Gates.

thanks for your honest opinion's guys, thats the way i feel, i know the honda is better but at this point with the way the economy is, to be on a new bike for $3000 less it's hard to pass up.

I am a Honda guy I got a 08 yz 250f and I am totally happy. I just got an 03 crf450 but dirt cheap. Get the Yamaha 450 it is way more reliable then the Honda, And will be just as competetive. Remember it is the rider not the bike.NO way in hell is the Honda worth 3000 more unless your Bill Gates.

he has an 03 yzf450 now and when he rides all of are newer bikes he feels his bike is a big heavy turd as he says. the motor on his bike is still as strong as any bike i've been on and it's still got the original piston in it!! but the way it handles compared to the 08 models is in no comparision. like i said he is very competitive, he doesnt want someone having a big advantage over him just sitting on gate.

Ok The last 450 I was on was my 02 crf450 then I had for 4 years a crf250 and since last year the 08 yz250f which is going to my son. I will ride the 450 and it will be great but alot of my friends have new 08 or 09 450's and always ask if I want to ride them. Unless I amm going to buy one I see no need for me to ride it. First if I like it I will not be happy with what I have second if I break it a cant afford to fix it. So if I just stay on my 03 I will be very happy and not try to compare it to 08-or 09's. Oh on my 04 crf I alway beat my buddies on there newer bikes including the 450's. It's all about having fun. I can have fun on any bike. Good luck.

When ya go to sell it your gonna even things up quite a bit. Thats my class, tell him to get the yammie lol.

Whats this guys name that won Red Bud?

When ya go to sell it your gonna even things up quite a bit.

I do not see it clearing up much of that $3-4 thousand initial price difference.

get with the program. if hes 50 yrs old he got no time to waste.

09 all the way!

Cost would be somewhere around $6500 so its actualy more like 2.3k more for the honda. The honda will outperform the yamaha hands down imo but if he gets the yamaha he will have about 2.3k to spend on motor mods, suspension and all the acessories. Id imagine he has some hookups on parts too so that extra 2.3k could go a long way.

I am riding the +50 class at Lorretta's.

If I am being honest, he should ride his 03 yz450.ha-ha!

First post by the way, great web site.

For the money, the 08 is a great deal. However, my 09 is the best bike I've ever threw a leg over. that being said, is it worth the extra money, it's a personal choice. If your buddy has money to spend, why not get the 09?

T

the 09 Honda is an awesome bike but it requires alot of set up and testing to get it right and the susp is a big part of that. if he is going for the lorettas i am sure he wants to be out training and riding not testing for months. the 08 YZ is pretty much ready to go, the susp works awesome stock for most everyone. not sure on his weight but maybe he would need stiffer or lighter springs but i don't think a revalve is even needed. the stock pipe is kinda choked up so he would prob want a sytem on there and i know the Dr.D does great things for the Yami 450. other than that i think the bike would be ready to roll and he could save the leftover for travel and wear and tear parts.

my buddy had an 08 YZ450 and loved it and he is a vet expert so i am sure your friend will like it, and at a savings of over 3k man that is hard to pass up

QUOTE=REDWING48;7740010]thanks for your honest opinion's guys, thats the way i feel, i know the honda is better but at this point with the way the economy is, to be on a new bike for $3000 less it's hard to pass up.

I am a Honda guy and I would always lean to the red side of a bike request but your buddy needs to ask these questions before doing anything...

1.If he buys the CRF is his budget gone?

2. if a stock CRF was to go against a 08 YZF with suspension, big brakes and a pipe would he still be more competitive on the more expensive Honda??

3. $3000 is a lot of money to have for susp, pipe, tires etc if he is going to head to LL's

When ya go to sell it your gonna even things up quite a bit. Thats my class, tell him to get the yammie lol.

Whats this guys name that won Red Bud?

i'll just say he rode for maico back in the day. if you went to any of the out door nationals, he rode the legends tour at mt morris, red bud and steelcity.

wouldn't be JJK would it ?......I would look for a new 07 CRF450R. They're still some of them around......

Well 1980 was a long time ago! If he races quit a bit now! I could see him dropping some coin into this bike for the price.But if he hasn't why waste the cash$$.While I'm all about the Honda's it's really a racers choice. What bike was he on when he won in 1980?

Well 1980 was a long time ago! If he races quit a bit now! I could see him dropping some coin into this bike for the price.But if he hasn't why waste the cash$$.While I'm all about the Honda's it's really a racers choice. What bike was he on when he won in 1980?

Maico, can't rember if it was a 440 or a 490